Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else listen to Millennial? I'm hate listening to it now, and I kinda want to slap the body and get boyfriend for being a spoiled Millennial who has had it super easy in the year or two since she graduated college. She turned down a plum internship, she went in a totally different direction from her degree, and she's been all weepy about how its not magically coming to her. then, when she actually did make a move, she just started begging for jobs, rather than networking the smart way and asking for advice and guidance. Now she has a podcast sponsor (Squarespace! Shock of shocks!), and she's trying to get NPR backing despite her update schedule being a 20 minute podcast every month or two.

She's really exactly what people complain about when complaining about millennialism. and for context, I'm a Millennial too. It took me 4 years to find a decent paying job in my region, and I worked for it. This viewpoint that she has drives me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Revolutions is a seriously good podcast. I live listening to the hosts voice, he doesn't shove his own personal politics in in a distracting, awful ways and the sound quality is great. This is a sharp contrast to other history podcasts I've listened to like the Civil War history podcast that put me to sleep, or the history of world war II podcast that... Well, half put me to sleep, half grated on me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
"The history of WWII", By Ray Harris Jr. It's not very good, imo. He manages to make exciting things like dogfighting and bitter troop fighting super dull because he never changes inflection.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Its interesting in that it literally has a billion hours of content and that he goes into the most absurd level of detail during the Blitz. Like, discussions of each loving sortie and the damage done from individual attack.

Plus the billion hours of the China side of the war which always gets neglected

If the dude didn't sound so drat flat and monotone, I'd love it. His delivery sucks, and so anything that is... Ya know, intrinsically dull? Blitz stuff especially? I start to fall asleep, which is bad since I work with super dangerous chemicals. His biographies on Hitler and Churchill were pretty okay, but I skipped the entire Blitz because I couldn't take another ep of him talking about dogfighting so emotionlessly.

Dude needs to get a little more Carliny and less NPRy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Going through the archives of the Dollop to find some underappreciated gems, I really enjoyed No. 113 - Reg Spiers, No. 109 - Mad Dan Morgan, 104 - The Hippo Bill, 93 - The Dole Plane Race, 87 - Action Park!, 71 - The Spite Fence, 64 - Philly Fans, 60 - Comet Panic, 58 - Lenny Dykstra, 47 - Bricklayer Bill, 32 - The Leatherman, 29 - The Pinto, and 23, The Willie Dee.

Action Park and Willie Dee are pretty important to listen to. They're real good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wanna go ahead and throw out an anti-recommendation for "Unsolved: A Murdered Teen, a 40-year Mystery".

Let's start off by saying that it really really wants to be Serial. It REALLY wants to be Serial. And the host REALLY wants to be Sarah Koenig, but the problem is, she's not, and she doesn't have the appropriate training, skills or talent to be Koenig.

A couple problems:
-Every time she says the show's name, she says the subtitle, which you'd think wouldn't be that jarring, but it somehow is.

-The host doesn't know how to have a good radio voice. Koenig has some flaws, certainly, but for the most part, she's very listenable and professional. This girl's voice goes all over the fuckin' place, from ending sentences with that lilting Valley Girl thing where it sounds? Like a question? Even if she's not asking one? to copious amounts of vocal fry, to really... awkward pauses that seem to have no rhyme or reason why they do. These are just things you'd have trained out of you if you were to work in real radio, or take a buncha communications classes, but I suspect the host is a reporter and journalist first, and an on-air personality not at all, except for now.

-The host reexplains things laboriously every episode. There are a few topics that keep coming up, like the original medical examiner chucked a bunch of important things, the building where evidence was stored was a disaster, the cops didn't know about crime scene procedure back in the '70s, and that certain suspects are very suspicious but turn out to be innocent. Each one of those things are very important and deserve explanation... The first time they come up. When you're explaining something for the second time in one episode, when you already fully explained the entire story last episode, in a serialized, episodic show that really cannot have you skip around during listening, you're doing something wrong.

-It's not that interesting a crime, and it seems like the only reason it IS interesting is because not a lot of crime like this happens in Milwaukee. Yeah, this podcast is based out of Milwaukee, and so they really give a poo poo about this case, but here's the case:

A kid was murdered in the late '70s. There wasn't any continuing serial killer style murders, there wasn't a suspect who was possibly thrown into jail and is fighting to prove his innocence, there isn't a gigantic pool of suspects. A kid was killed and all of the evidence blew so they couldn't catch anyone and now it's 40 years later. It sucks that this kid died, but they're probably not gonna be able to provide any interesting resolution unless the actual killer is caught and he happens to have a Dexter-style blood slide or some poo poo.

I have an enormous amount of free time to listen to podcasts at work, so I don't consider this wasted time, I just kinda need things to occupy my brain while doing monotonous work. Don't go out of your way to listen to Unsolved unless, like me, you need to kill a few hours and don't really care what you listen to.

Unsolved is the Milwaukee version of Serial. And that's not a compliment.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine bought me the Hardcore History back catalogue and I've been listening to old stuff, and it's amazing how much he talks about stuff that he does later, longer series' on. He did like two or three episodes talking about the Mongols and the Huns in his early show run, and then he did Wrath of the Khans. He did like two episodes on the beginning and ramifications of World War 1, and then does Blueprint. it's kinda cool seeing that he's been interested in these topics for a while. I'm also really digging Punic Nightmare.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love for Dan to tackle any of the lesser-studied wars. Vietnam, Korea, 1812, Mexican... And those're just the American ones that come immediately to my coffee-deprived mind! I'd be down for anything from the rest of the world. Boer War, or the Sino-Japanese War, or some of the China/Japan stuff from way back when.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want Dan Carlin to tell me the history of Muhammed Ali or something. Or Mike Tyson. Watch him use World War 1 analogies to describe the fights.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Not sure I've seen it in here, but Thinking Sideways is a good "mystery" podcast as well. It's not really "whodunnit" as much as "let's talk about this weird thing that happened and all the weirdness surrounding it." I've learned about a lot of weird murders, disappearances, and washed up bodies since I started listening a while back.

Just to jump in here, I used to listen to Thinking Sideways, but then I started to pick up on the hosts' mental tics and it started to really grate on me after a while. They pick such interesting topics, and they actually do good research, but almost every episode, they just spend the ending shooting down any theory that isn't "Yeah, this person's dead" or the most simple, boring, uninteresting answer to the mystery. They are so private about their personal lives, I have absolutely no idea what their fields of expertise are, but I end up thinking that they're talking out of their rear end anytime they discuss a slightly more in-depth topic, like how to fly a helicopter, or the mechanics of knot-tying.

It's a bummer, because I wanted to like Thinking Sideways, and listened for months, but their super-hard tie to Occam's Razor makes for a mystery show without much fun mystery. I was listening to last season's finale of Sword and Scale, which I have other problems with and have detailed in this thread before, but he started interviewing some people about crime and that sort of thing, and I was like "Oh, these people sound cool and fun! I wonder who they are!"

The Thinking Sideways crew. :smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

This doesn't bode well for the LBJ episode having a constant backdrop of Fortunate Son and helicopter chop.

Maybe they'll also use For What Its Worth and Fixing To Die Rag.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kings Of Calabria posted:

lol he sounds like a dorky Seth Rogen, what a goober. Surprised hje is so popular. Even if he was the coolest guy in school who would want to listen to an hour of someone being like "yes but science :smuggo:"

That's why his podcast is ten to fifteen minutes long.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Holy crap, You Must Remember This is really good. Didn't expect much, but the fact it provides social commentary and historic context got me really excited. Listening to the series on Manson btw.

I've been listening to the current season on the Communist blacklist, and while the info is good, the host never changes inflection so the regulatory of hey voice makes me drowsy. Also, I don't typically notice or care about vocal fry, but she really fuckin' loves doing that with hey voice at the end of sentences.

I end up getting pissed at way too many podcasts because the hosts have annoying speech pattern tics or vocal problems, and it annoys me that these things annoy me. I listen to a lot of podcasts and audio books and a lot of people who get into podcasting need some radio voice training. Carlin is great, and so is Mike Duncan, but too many others drive me batty. Thinking sideways, last podcast on the left, how did this get made are all good examples.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been really liking Reveal, which tends to go for those "lost in the cracks" sorts of stories that Last Week Tonight kinda goes for, but obviously this is done pretty much stone sober. It's one of those "Yeah, I knew this was hosed, but I didn't realize just how hosed it is" podcasts, which is some combination of informative and depressing.

Reveal is incredibly satisfying investigative journalism. Pro listen, but holy gently caress is it a bummer because... well, just listen to some of the episodes. :smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
He has really wanted to bag on Trump specifically for like the last four Common Sense episodes, and has had to restrain himself from doing so. I don't think CS will be worth listening to until after the election.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the deal with Harry Enten on 538? Is there any particular reason he comes off as a huge dick most of the time?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

By the way, any idea how long the latest series in Revolutions is going to be? I don't listen to them until they're all up, and I'm just curious. It's definitely a subject I'm interested in.

He's probably getting close to the end. Bolivar has almost had his whole story told, the other liberators are who he's talking about now, and then he'll move on to Mexico, I believe. The only problem is the delays that are gonna be caused by the holidays/his family/writing his book.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If anyone wants to hear Nate silver flipping the gently caress out over people dismissing polling and not taking him as seriously anymore, listen to the latest 538 podcast. God drat, he gets salty and starts banging on about polls being a first amendment right.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

If so, I'm really glad to hear it. Would be super bummed out if he wasted months on some civil war series of shows

A series of shows on anything would take years at his current rate.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilpicard posted:

Both sides are the saaaaaaaaame

did you know that the truth...

is somewhere in the middle?

(This latest Common Sense has made me give up on listening to the Common Sense podcast, holy poo poo does it take forever to not say anything)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

I like Revolutions but the mouth noise makes me want to die

Aren't there solutions to this stuff

His mouth sounds so wet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

Is this the right thread to discuss the Stitcher produced Heavens Gate podcast? I haven't finished it yet but to be honest I'm feeling kind of meh about it and I'm not sure why. I think it feels a bit hollow despite all the testimonies and I don't get any sense of what life was really like in there. I recently listened to The Last Podcast On The Left series on Jim Jones and that was a lot more compelling to me.

I agree. Especially since the final episode doesn't really tie anything together in a way different than reading the Wikipedia article. I feel like they got really high on the host's real-life cult experience as a kid, and didn't quite have a full series plotted out before they began. It just kinda peters out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

How do y'all feel about Behind the Bastards? As the title suggests, a series about pretty bad folks and their upbringings. Finished about Saddam Hussein, then some about the Kim family in NK. They discuss some lesser known bastards too, and also disgraced bastards who have worked/got kicked out of the Trump Administration. Haven't listened to the political ones about the current alt-right hell we live in, for sake of sanity, but what I have listened to so far is pretty amazing and actually pretty funny.

It's really good, and so is his new podcast with the two people behind Even More News, Cody and Katy. It's called Worst Year Ever and they are gonna cover the Presidential race in 2020 on it. Right now, they are doing the Democratic debates primarily, and this week's episode is on Andrew Yang. Robert keeps going over to Syria to journalism, and he's done some deep dives on why poo poo is hosed over there, especially lately.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Robert Evans is one of my favorite podcasters period, and he KNOWS his stuff.

He also co-hosts the new podcast Worst Year Ever (including an incredibly informative episode on the history of the Kurds/Rojava, based on actual on-site reporting he did there), and did the equally fantastic It Could Happen Here which is a very sobering listen.

edit-- Beaten sorta :argh:

This guy speaks the truth, though the concept behind It Could Happen Here is initially off-putting. I have friends who poo-poohed the idea of a civil war happening in the US without listening to it. He makes a really solid case for what could happen, based on what he saw in the countries he did journalism in, such as Syria.

Irregular/unconventional/assymetrical warfare based on things like the Bundy Ranch standoff or the Malheur Wildlife Refuge standoff, the protests all around the country being clamped down on by a thuggish government, Trump refusing to leave the White House, a terrorist-style strike at water resources, food shipping/ trucking, or the electrical grid, growing dissatisfaction with life by both rural and urban Americans... And he tries very hard not to say "the right wing assholes are gonna just start a war", he makes it sound legit and like it could happen thanks to lots of different forces.

A good series that I hope we don't have to revisit to see if anyone did predict the future in 20 years.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

I don't know, theorizing about a 21st century US civil war "based on what I saw in Syria" sounds dumb and reductionist and not far removed from the speculative fiction of Alex Jones and the like. I doubt the historical, cultural, and ethnic setup of a middle-eastern country has a lot in common with the US. What are some of the arguments a middle-eastern insurgency would follow the same dynamic as a civil war in the US?

Oh look, it’s my friend who dismissed it based on badly reading what I had to say about it and not actually listen to Robert dealing with these exact arguments. I didn’t know he got an SA account.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Here's a clarification. You're being dumb.

Here's an elaboration. I summarized a ten episode, seven hour podcast in a few sentences and said how interesting and thought provoking it was. After reading how I was complaining that a friend of mine dismissed it as poorly thought out and obviously incorrect without listening to the source material, you decided to complain that the podcast is poorly thought out and obviously incorrect without listening to the source material.

Here, I'll clarify everything for you.

Listen to the first episode and decide for yourself if it's dumb and reductionist and Alex Jones.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

I'm listening to it but tbh I think America would resemble Brazil more than Syria. Any large scale political violence would hurt the bottom line of Capital so the military would step in to "restore Constitutional rule" and disappear leftists into our already goliath prison state. Conservatives basically can't lose - the entire Constitution is rigged entirely in their favor and our reactionary government is the most heavily armed on Earth - but the alt right and Alex Jones subculture within the right wouldn't necessarily win either.

He covers that in later episodes, talking about how he feels that a civil war sparked by the left would go. It's extremely bleak and would look more like the black lives matter protests being loving crushed, rather than a right wing insurgency.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

It Could Happen Here is the scariest apocalypse fiction, and seems entirely plausible.

It could happen here is an amazing podcast because every time I’ve talked about it, someone has done the exact same argument of “there’s no way that a civil war could ever happen in America, that podcast is stupid”

Then I say “listen to it, he addresses all the points you are making in the very first episode”

And then they keep arguing until I stop responding.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

thank you cool corn may i have your permission to tattoo this somewhere on my body

i'm thinking "throat" but not decided yet

If I know cool corn like I think I do, it’s foreskin or nothing

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone listen to the podcast by Slate, “what next?” Is it any good?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

nonathlon posted:

All of those big podcast providers (families?) come on big with promoting their other random and generic shows. I think it's IHeartRadio that always leads out with a set of aggravating ads that all sound like:

* "Hi, I'm CELEBRITY. Haven't you always wanted to know what it was like to be CELEBRITY? Well, on my new podcast ..."
* "What up people, here we're going to be giving you the _real_ news, the news that matters, the only news that you need"
* "I'm Sascha! And I'm Antonia! We're just two girls and we're going to be talking about dating! And murder!"

Like, it seems part of the economic recovery plan is to give everyone their own podcast

Podcast ads have been getting really dire and I do not know how people think that “I’m Joey Joe Joe shabadoo junior!” “And I’m Bobby Butts!” “We talk about anything we want here!” “And we get a little crazy” is gonna make people want to listen to your poo poo.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Just jam that Forward 30 Seconds button. I'm legitimately surprised that all the podcast apps haven't colluded to take that away from us.

Bummer about Tides. I really did mean to get to more of their back catalogue.

But I do like hearing podcast ads when they are trying to recommend something enjoyable to me. There’s a million podcasts out there and I constantly am searching for new ones. I work in a science lab and we always want a podcast to listen to as we do monotonous, repetitive work in a clean room. Because of the vent hoods and air purifiers, a lot of podcasts just don’t work, so we are always trying new ones. It would be nice if ads would, like, inform me about the content of a podcast and the actual sense of humor of the participants, and not just be a bad morning zoo crew ad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I feel like Gladwell had a semi-interesting podcast years ago that I've long since stopped listening to. I can't even remember what it was about lol, just that it had a lot of ads for Zip Recruiter

Isn’t that the podcast where he literally wanted people to not have an episode title or topic in the description and just to listen to whatever he wanted to talk about no matter what?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
But what if one of the Jews that hitler had killed was gonna grow up to be megahitler and was gonna Holocaust ten times as many people

Did you ever think of that

(I had some dumb gently caress try this argument with me once and I just about stroked out)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn’t someone earlier In the thread bring up his common sense politics podcast and how unlistenable it got? I tapped out back around the Ferguson protests because he was just spinning his wheels and not taking a side, I’m sure it got worse and more dumb

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Carlin basically hates extremism of all kinds because he's obsessed with some fantasy ideal of politics where compromise always exists if we'd just get over ourselves and come together for sensible discourse. Even if he acknowledges the injustice of police brutality vs minorities protests can't be the answer, because those just inflame tensions on both sides.

:kiss:

No, guise, he's not so radically centrist because he's a white guy who got into broadcasting before the bottom dropped out, it's because he comes at politics like a space alien

I say this having been given his back catalogue as a birthday present on a cheap USB thumbdrive, straight from Dan himself. I don't regret it, and will probably listen to a future series of his, but he can miss me with his takes on politics right now

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 14, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

The recent episode on Guns, Germs, and Steel is definitely good, especially for people who are actual historians and often get it as a gift or suggestion from well-meaning family members.

I am very interested in this, primarily because I have an unfair bias against Diamond because I had to read Collapse in college and thought his writing was mega boring and kinda sucked. But I never had anything to argue against the science of the books, and he was constantly cited by folks I liked and respected.

It is extremely spiteful, and I’m okay with that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I had a friend recommend this to me and I checked out their Castro episode. They had a male and female switching off literally every other sentence and it sounded like they were reading a high school history report. Would not recommend.

I have never heard anything less natural-sounding than a parcast trying to have banter between the hosts. Avoid parcast podcasts at all costs.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I apologize for the shitpost but I'm at work and can't browse much.

Can I get a 911 recommendation for a free podcast I can try now? Looking for politics, specifically Trump or GOP coverage pretty please. Informative free and funny if possible.

Know your enemy, I don't speak German, worst year ever, gaslit nation, pod drat America...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why are podcast ads all so bad?

If I never have to hear another ad for a podcast where three people are getting together to talk about pop culture and politics and whatever else we want, and giving me zero reason to care about these people's opinions, it'll be too soon