Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
On our new podcast, we talk about life, culture, whatever we want

We just like to have a conversation and see where that takes us

You’re in for it if you join team splorpcast, because it gets wild sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Yeah, I don't regret buying it because he rules and I want to support him financially, but I put it down basically feeling like I just read a fleshed out transcript of his episodes on the topics with a little bit of connective tissue between them.

That’s the curse of drat near every podcast that gets turned into a book, IMO

Exactly the same way about Greg proofs’ book, the dollop book… I never read my copy of the storm before the storm because I was buying it more to support mike Duncan than out of any interest in Rome. But I’ve definitely seen that more than otherwise.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I bought both The Verge and Hero of Two Worlds, you can't stop me.

I bought a second copy of The Verge for my dad for Father's Day but after about a quarter of HoTW I think this might have been more up his alley. Maybe next year!

Who said anything about stop, I consider it money well spent

It just keeps happening.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I read storm before the storm and it’s basically exactly what I expected it to be. What exactly did you all expect it to be? Or want it to be I guess?

Who do you even think you are arguing with

The only real person who slandered that book was me and it’s because I find Rome boring, I didn’t get very far in reading it because of that. But the main point I was, and feel did make, is that lots of podcasters wind up turning scripts from their show into a book, and very often that feels less interesting than it could be. My examples being Greg proops’ podcast book, the chapo podcast book, the dollop podcast book.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Nice, looks like Slow Burn is coming back in a few weeks with a series on the ‘92 LA riots. Hosted by Joel Anderson who did their Biggie and Tupac series a few years back so it should be pretty solid.

I did like the biggie and Tupac series a lot, but was one year at all good? Their Iraq war series felt a little too into the Democrat narrative, if I remember correctly, rather than actually taking all the culpable folks to task on both sides. But again, if I remember correctly. I dipped like halfway through because it felt like it would take a moment to thank the Daily Show for saving the country or something. Yes, I am being hyperbolic.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I listened to http://civilwarpodcast.org/ back when it first started, but found that it got so dull to listen to, I started falling asleep. Not good when you are handling hazardous chemicals. Did anyone else ever listen to it? Did it ever get better? How the gently caress is it not over after a decade? Are any of the hosts secret bigots?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prof. Banks posted:

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast? Because I recently listened to the M-16 episode of the Lions Led by Donkeys and they make some outlandish claims that are so reality bendingly bizarre that it's kind of ruined the podcast for me. And not just gun nerd poo poo things, but stuff that if you thought about it for like 10 seconds should set off your bullshit alarm and should have never made it into an episode. One of the claims was something like the ballistics of 5.56 are such that if you hit a person in the leg it would ricochet around inside them and come out of their chest. The entire episode I was basically looking like this :psyduck:.

penn spoiled his podcast career for me by being so vocally lolbertarian about recycling and environmentalism as a whole on an episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit

Made it real hard for me to take any of his forays seriously after that, since I had a grain of salt the size of a small boulder next to his name in my mind from then on

His social views were pretty good otherwise, if I remember correctly, but I had to think of everything with him as being from a very capitalistic/libertarian stance and it kinda ruined him for me for everything until Fool Us. I liked his Penn's Sunday School podcast very early on, but once I internalized how he sees the world, he was less fun to listen to rant

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

383 episodes, including 65 on Gettysburg alone, and they aren't even halfway through the war.

I am in awe.

Theyve been doing Gettysburg for like two loving years god drat

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone got recommendations for good civil war podcasts?

If by good, you mean exhaustive...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

There wasn't a shooter at all. His head just did that

Nuh uh, there was a shooter and he was hiding inside JFK’s head

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

My thinking is that if you analyzed literally any event with that level of scrutiny and detail it would seem Weird as Hell.

Jokes aside, that’s true for a lot of events, such as the uvalde texas mass shooting

Not that the cops didnt gently caress it up entirely, but if every cop fuckup story got reported on as thoroughly as uvalde did, we would hear about the cops being bizarrely useless and cowardly and lovely at all times

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ please listen to things before you start laying out how incorrect and flawed the thing is that you have not listened to

This same poo poo over it could happen here made me want to eat my own head

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Cool, glad we solved this crisis of someone talking about your favorite podcast in a way that you found objectionable.

Desperately insisting that you’re not mad you got told is a very cool look and we are all glad to hear your unrelated and uninformed opinions on things

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

There were 0 assassins. His head just did that.

There was one assassin, and it was jfk

He hated his life so much he made his own head explode

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Placing bets on how long before the first alien landing thought experiment

The first book was published in 1994

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

Yes but which one is the Martian?

He is in DC, they havent announced a jon jonzz movie yet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kiminewt posted:

I unironically would listen to a podcast of that, every time in a different period.

There was a podcast called “twilight histories” that does that. Looks like it is still going, and the maker also wrote a novel and a tabletop roleplaying game based off the idea.

Time travel tourism to different periods. Give it a listen, it might be right up your alley.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
244 - The Battle of Hayes Park is a fun one. The Klan shows up in a town, and things don’t go well for them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

I've given up on the Dollop for the past 18 months or so because it seemed like they were running out of interesting topics and focusing on obscure people that were kind of meh. Are there any recent classics that I can dip back in on?

They started doing a fun side series called “the past times” where they read an old timey newspaper and make fun of it with a comedian friend. Those have been great.

The Rodney King episode was interesting, the Dean Kaman ep was interesting, the plague and PG&E episodes were all interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol, Dan learned not to get too close to the third rail that is current day politics right now, huh