Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I just finished listening to Carlin's "Wrath of the Khans" series. It was just awesome. Awesome. Seriously riveting at every turn and it was unbelievable to think about how close Western Europe came to being completely utterly destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Antti posted:

:gonk: I still haven't had a chance to listen through the previous one!

Prophets of Doom was freaking awesome.

This is pretty much how I must have looked from 1/3 of the way in until the end.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Popelmon posted:

Carlin said on twitter that the new episode will be released within 48 hours :woop:.

I am really, unreasonably excited about this.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
I'll guess I'll use this opportunity to share a similar crossover podcast I enjoyed greatly. Caustic Soda is a comedy educational podcast centered around the gruesome, gory and macabre side of pretty much everything. Hosted by three Vancouver Canadians, they take a variety of topics (shark attacks, plague, even toys) and look at the etymology, history, news, and pop culture aspects of them.

The hosts are pretty funny. Torin is the leader of the podcast. He's got a good voice and is funny in a low key sort of dry way. Kevin is the "comedian" of the group having actually done some stand-up locally. Many of his jokes are pun based and groan worthy, but in an endearing sort of way. Joe is the least funny and self styled rationalist of the group. He's also the gooniest; taking every opportunity to mention his atheism, skepticism, and the fact that he has, in fact, had sex with a woman. Still he's not so bad as to be insufferable...most of the time.

I've learned a lot from the podcast and I think they definitely at least 50% focus on the educational aspect of the topic. Best episodes would be part one of Doomed Expeditions (pt 2 is pop culture), most of the medical ones because they have an actual doctor on the show to comment and he's pretty interesting, and the evil people in history episodes (especially Stalin).

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Random Stranger posted:

One warning about visiting the site. The pictures that accompany episodes are often :nms: and :nws:. There's nothing really brutal there on the page at the moment but watch out if they've done a medical topic. (Oh god, I just clicked back one back after checking their current entries and the first topic on the second page was body modification with all the :barf: you could want.)

Apologies, I listen to the eps on stitcher so I was unaware of this. Thanks for the heads up. 10:1 that the goon is Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Popelmon posted:

The download from dancarlin.com works for me.

Christ, why am I so excited about a podcast?

It just came online around 10am EST