Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Drunkboxer posted:

Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

This was literally the only podcast I've turned off halfway through in years. I have never heard a more arrogant or stupider person. I was excited for the book, but immediately took it off my Christmas wishlist after this episode. Dude left such a bad taste in my mouth. Who doesn't loving love Pete and Pete and Hey Arnold? Sure, that poo poo holds up NOW maybe better then it did before. But EVERY show? And lumping The Wire and Breaking Bad into his "sameness" tirade. Even Rubin was obviously losing mad interest and respect in him at a rapid rate. Props to him for trying to corral the dude into a usable interview, though.

Obviously an emotionally stunted fanboy with no sense of self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Eltoasto posted:

Listened to a couple of these last night and really enjoyed them. It's funny to hear about iconic movies like Dumbo and Bambie being regarded as a quick cash in or failure at the time.

Fourthing this recommendation. I've been interested in it for a while but finally listened to some today - Absolutely fantastic stuff. Short, easily-digestible, clearly well-researched and totally interesting stories of Hollywood's golden age. Perfect for little drives during the day.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
"You Must Remember This" is killing it (pun not intended) with their extended Charles Manson series. I was initially not interested in it at all, feeling like Manson is well-trodden ground, but yesterday I decided to give it a listen anyways and now I am almost caught up. It's absolutely riveting stuff, really placing the emphasis less on Manson himself and how the culture of Hollywood at the time informed the murders. It's also really digging into these supporting and tangential names associated with the murders and building this giant patchwork tapestry of connections between episodes, slowly building the complete story. She is developing SUCH a vivid picture of Hollywood at the time. I can't recommend it enough. The Dennis Wilson episode floored me.