Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I started listening to Hardcore History after finishing History of Rome and am almost through the free iTunes episodes, which means I'll soon (and gladly) enter paywall territory. Should I just start from the beginning? Cherry pick? Are there any episodes I should avoid?

The Ghosts of the Ostfront casts might be my favourite thing Dan has ever done. The Punic Nightmares casts are pretty good too. If you're cherry picking, those are my personal favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Has anyone here tried You Are Not So Smart? I've gone through a few episodes now, and I have mixed feelings. I like the interviews and intros, but I'm not too fond of the back-end in which the host eats a cookie on air. Also there seems to be frequent sound problems with the recordings. I had to give up on the common sense one because I couldn't hear the dialog at all on the bus.

I listen to and enjoy the podcast but you're pretty much spot on with some of the criticisms.

The host is generally pretty good and easy to listen to -- he has good cadence and sounds practiced without being over-rehearsed. The podcast picture of a smug looking jerkoff combined with the title had me fearing the worst, but he generally comes at things from a pretty reasonable place and isn't smarmy at all. I enjoy the guests he has on and the topics are usually pretty interesting. The length is pretty good -- long enough to get in depth, but not so long as to get boring.

That all said, do yourself a favour and fast-forward through every cookie segment. Once you've heard one you've heard them all -- he whips out his thesaurus and pointlessly waxes rhapsodic for a few minutes. How anyone is supposed to enjoy listening to another man orgasm over some cookie he just ate is beyond me. At least he doesn't actually eat into the microphone anymore. It's a perfect opportunity for a couple of presses of Downcast's 2 minute advance feature. The sound during some of his earlier interviews can be bad, though I think the common sense one you mentioned is as bad as it gets. Later interviews generally sound better.

It's a good podcast, stick with it. Just fast forward through the cookie segments.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Ariza posted:

I thought the first guy was just being silly when he mentioned a cookie eating segment on an audio podcast. What the hell does that mean? Is it really that literal?

Yup. Listeners submit cookie recipes and his wife makes them. He eats one on mic and describes how it tastes. If he uses a recipe the submitter gets a copy of one of his books. Why? Who knows. It's exactly as entertaining as it sounds.

The rest of the cast is actually good and not as silly/dumb as that segment implies, really.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

For what its worth, the other side of the nihilism conversation from Radiolab, Brooke Gladstone's part, is better. The second half of this week's On The Media podcast is Brooke's rebuttal to Jad's assertion that there is something special about the current pop culture flirtation with nihilism. She does a good job summarizing recent history and the whole thing is way more organized and than Jad's take.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yes, I have no self control and I bought Ghosts since my last post about it. ;(

You did a good thing.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'll second that recommendation. It's informative and fun, and will change the way you look at stats in the news for the better.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

That being said, what are his top three podcasts? I'm interested in "Death Throes of the Republic", but the Khan series sounds interesting as well.

Punic Nightmares, Ghosts of the Ostfront, Prophets of Doom.

Death Throes and Wrath of the Khans are pretty great too.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The Michael Malloy (Iron Mike) episode of the Dollop is also a favourite of mine.

Edit - mostly because I really enjoy their doofy Irish accents

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 6, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

Does anyone know what episode has the "Oueen poo poo of Liesville" bit? I know it won't be nearly as funny in context, but I'd still like to know.

uPen posted:

It's the ghost episode iirc.

Yup, it's the Ghosts episode. It's definitely worth listening to. Do it, or Popobawa will get you.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I can't find the Cereal Men episode in the feed. When did it come out?

Episode 46, Jan 3, 2015. "Live w/ Patton Oswalt - The Cereal Men"

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Stephen Colbert does a pretty good Dan Carlin impression. (Start it at about 3:25 or so)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Are there good recommendations for left-wing political podcasts? I've only listened to Slate's Political Gabfest so far.

Slate also puts out Podcast for America which is specifically about the run up to the next General Election. It's a fairly informal podcast hosted by three journalists. It's not explicitly liberal in its mission but the hosts all definitely lean that way.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I listen to and enjoy Planet Money. Finance and business are not my area of expertise so I'm not able to evaluate their general accuracy but I can say that they do a lot of genuinely interesting stories. The podcasts are a good length (15-25 mins) and they are professional produced.

I haven't really noticed any tonal issues that I've heard some complain about but I've only been listening for about a year so its possible that there may have been a regime change somewhere along the line?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

CBC's advertising/marketing podcast Under the Influence has just re-published their two part series Selling The Moon. If you're a fan of space stuff, this might be a perspective on the Space Race you haven't heard a lot about.

The podcast is pretty good in general, so if you like that go ahead and listen to some others. (They don't keep much of the backlog on their feed, unfortunately, but there are some.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Alright, I'm all caught up with Revolutions, HH, Revolutions, and the Bonapartes. Not really interested in Byzantium or pirates, are there any other big ones? Preferably something humorous like the Bonapartes.

What about The Dollop? It's not as serious or rigorous as any of the podcasts you listed but it's funnier than all of them.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I dropped it during the recent kerfuffle :v: Bonapartes fills the void.

Dave finally addressed all that in a podcast and everything seems cool now, in general and with Alan Bellows. To each their own, though.

My major problem so far with Bonapartes is that they seem way too pleased with themselves. When you introduce a podcast with a 10 minute story about one of the hosts saying something weird/dumb to his wife (including bringing his wife on the podcast to tell the 'hilarious' story) it loses me a little. I enjoyed the first couple of podcasts but I couldn't make it through the third. I'm going to try a few more in the hopes it settles down some. They just spend way too much time laughing at their own jokes. Do they get better about it?

(I recognize that I bring up the Dollop in the same post I criticize the LB for laughing at their own jokes too much, but at least Dave and Gareth are usually laughing at each other's jokes.)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really liked the Lesser Bonapartes' material; it was the presenters I couldn't stand.

It always felt to me like the hosts weren't trying to teach me something, they were trying to show me how much they knew. That and the lack of organization (sometimes their digressions had digressions, again seemingly in service of "no I know this don't think I don't") are what bothered me.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Just gonna second this quote from the True Stories thread and recommend the poo poo out of Detective:

Agreed. I find that some of Lt. Kenda's views on crime and criminals are a little black and white, but he's a good storyteller. As was said, great voice too. The podcasts are fairly short and well-paced, which is nice. I'm curious to see what they are going to do for Season Two.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

My favourite Dollop episodes:

2. Purity Balls
3. Competitive Endurance Tickling
4. Ghosts
5. Hugh Glass
6. The Tank Chase
10. The Jackson Cheese
15. Ten Cent Beer Night
46. The Cereal Men
51. Michael Malloy
77. Thomas Kinkade
104. The Hippo Bill

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are people liking History on Fire? I've stayed subbed but haven't really delved into much other than the first ep just because the vibes and Joe Rogen connection made it seem like an even more casualass "history dad" podcast than Hardcore History. I've got them all sitting here though and Ive caught up to most of my other podcasts so I might start listening to a few more
I'd also like to announce my new podcast EXTREME HARDCORE HISTORY ON FIRE EXPLODING. It's good if you're uhh really into wars

I haven't listened to the just released episode but I have heard the rest. I like it well enough, I guess. It's like a Hardcore History-lite that comes out more often and isn't as long (thank god). The host is not an exceptional storyteller but he's not bad. I thought I would have a harder time understanding his thick accent than I have. The show is fine. I know that sounds like faint praise and I guess it is but sometimes fine is good enough. I've enjoyed the topics he has chosen so far. I think if you like the topics you'll think it's fine too.

This podcast is okay.

I like the cover art.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Is there a podcast on nature or animals that's worth listening to? Maybe weird facts about animals? Weird animals? I dunno.

Not precisely what you're looking for, but No Such Thing As A Fish is full of weird facts that are often about animals. Just not always. Well, always weird facts, just not always about animals. You know what I mean.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Are there any good podcasts dealing with food science or history? Something like that Dollop episode on Kellogg or the book Salt, Sugar, Fat or even Fast Food Nation.

Check out Gastropod.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Any good podcasts that cover conspiracy theories in an objective educational/historical way? I'm not looking for a debunking podcast like Skeptoid, or one where the hosts drink the coolaid and are truthers. Just someone who breaks down what the theories are, not whether they're true or not.

Try Mysterious Universe. I'm not a regular listener but from what I've heard it seems like it might fit what you're looking for. The hosts seem like they are open minded but not true believers. It's not all conspiracy theories per se but offbeat stuff in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

WEH posted:

They started out that way, but they've become increasingly credulous after realizing how much money was in that kind of work. It's still good for weird news items now and again, but they don't use a whole lot of skepticism or logic these days. If you can track down the back catalog it's pretty good.

Ahhh, too bad. Back when I listened I enjoyed the relatively measured take on things. The monetisation of the podcast was always... prominent, so I guess it isn't a total shock.