Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Popelmon posted:

And they only cover like 10 years or so. He really went for it with this one.

What? He started with the Gracchi brothers and went to Julius Caesar's death. That's a literal century of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Malloreon posted:

History of Rome guy's new podcast has just dropped:

revolutionspodcast.com

It's an intriguing concept that can go a lot of different directions. I'm hoping that he sticks with ones more than 50 years old so there's a better sense of the long term consequences. Starting with the English Civil War is nice for Americans since I doubt there's many of us who know more than the broadest of strokes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is it just the build up to the war or does it have actual battles in it too?

It's getting into the invasion of Belgium and how Germany handled it so it includes some of the military aspects.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dayman posted:

I'll guess I'll use this opportunity to share a similar crossover podcast I enjoyed greatly. Caustic Soda is a comedy educational podcast centered around the gruesome, gory and macabre side of pretty much everything. Hosted by three Vancouver Canadians, they take a variety of topics (shark attacks, plague, even toys) and look at the etymology, history, news, and pop culture aspects of them.

The hosts are pretty funny. Torin is the leader of the podcast. He's got a good voice and is funny in a low key sort of dry way. Kevin is the "comedian" of the group having actually done some stand-up locally. Many of his jokes are pun based and groan worthy, but in an endearing sort of way. Joe is the least funny and self styled rationalist of the group. He's also the gooniest; taking every opportunity to mention his atheism, skepticism, and the fact that he has, in fact, had sex with a woman. Still he's not so bad as to be insufferable...most of the time.

I've learned a lot from the podcast and I think they definitely at least 50% focus on the educational aspect of the topic. Best episodes would be part one of Doomed Expeditions (pt 2 is pop culture), most of the medical ones because they have an actual doctor on the show to comment and he's pretty interesting, and the evil people in history episodes (especially Stalin).

I believe one of them is a goon. At least I picked up the show from the Pimp Your Podcast thread...

They tend to be a little shallow and pop-sci-y but I don't think that's a horrible thing for their format. My biggest problem with the show is that the two part episodes tend to really drag. Their Vampires stuff for the past two weeks was not a good set of episodes. The show has a solid set of hosts with a good report (all three of them perform on stage in one way or another so it's not just "three random guys") and a format that works.

One warning about visiting the site. The pictures that accompany episodes are often :nms: and :nws:. There's nothing really brutal there on the page at the moment but watch out if they've done a medical topic. (Oh god, I just clicked back one back after checking their current entries and the first topic on the second page was body modification with all the :barf: you could want.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Firstscion posted:

Defiantly he is a little shaky at the start but it's worth it. It took me about 2 months to make it through all 190 episodes but when I finished I just wanted more.

Yeah, at the end I wished he was shifting focus to the Eastern empire but if you want to stop without running the show through another millennium that was the best place to stop.

History of Rome does follow my usual rule of podcasts: it takes a dozen episodes to learn what to do. By the time you hit the Punic Wars he's got it down. I want to say that was episode 15 or so, though it's been a while since I've listened to the early episodes...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

The Bible Geek is a big, fat, juicy question-and-answer podcast with an emphasis on higher criticism of the Bible.

I wanted to check this out but it seems like the file distribution site he uses isn't there any more...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

Any recommendations for In Our Time history episodes? I'm mostly interested in ancient history (I guess that's what you call it), preferably not too roman. I enjoyed the Zenobia episode but it looks like there's a massive backlog to dig through.

Yeah, the back log is pretty overwhelming with In Our Time and because it's just a BBC radio program with experts talking about these topics they're all pretty good if you're interested in the topic. The only episodes I've found to be excessively dry (it's BBC and college professors so it's always going to be somewhat dry :v: ) are usually the philosophy ones.

There does seem to be an excess of Roman (or closely related) topics as I look over my directory of episodes. I have enjoyed their pieces on Chinese history. The Ming Voyages (Oct 13, 2011) is a good one for that; there's some crazy theories that get pushed about these that they don't cover but knowing about them makes it more interesting (basically, a fringe "historian" with a habit of making up facts keeps publishing books about them traveling to America or Italy).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rypakal posted:

I got bamboozled by the book. I keep it around as a cautionary tale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0061564893

I had heard of 1421 but a couple of months ago Amazon had the sequel on sale for a couple of bucks and it almost got me. "Oh, there was a Chinese expedition to Italy like a reverse Marco Polo? That sounds facinating. Let me just double check the author and... oh."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

History of Rome really does turn in to a 'great people' centered thing during the decline, but it is hard to blame him since that's what the sources cover for the most part.

It's astounding to think that the third century is much more poorly documented even by primary sources than the two hundred years before them and the following century.

When I went to Italy a few years ago I loaded up the History of Rome on my MP3 player. It was really nice to be able to hear a bit about something as you're looking at the site.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Damo posted:

I think if you took any one of the last dozen episodes or so and made a mega-cut of every time he says "again and again" or makes a boxing analogy,

I checked the time on the new episode to the first boxing analogy. Almost ten minutes on the nose.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found another history podcast that I thought I'd mention here: Last Stop to Nowhere. The creators are goons, I saw their post in the creative commons podcasting thread. The subject is weird Australian history, which if you're not Australian will confirm every stereotype you have about Australia. :v: It's a little dry but they're on episode ten and it usually takes more episodes than that to really get into the swing of podcasting in my experience. Still, entertaining and about a subject that I have almost no exposure to!

The current episode is about the first royal tour of Australia which went so badly that it would give fiascos a good name.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MooselanderII posted:

My favorite comment of his regarding this is his response to a tweet about how he sounds like Heath Ledger's Joker. Ever since then, I can't disassociate that connection.

Did I ever tell you how I got these scars?

It was boxing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

Dan Carlin just tweeted that a new Hardcore History is coming out today.

It's out and it's four hours long. Almost, but not quite a record for the show, I think.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I just listened to the Revolutions fundraiser. It's kind of interesting that he's willing to let some rich guy pick a whole revolution for everyone to listen to. Though I want to see where this goes. I'm glad the Haitian Revolution is safe. I also hope he'll cover the 1911 Chinese Revolution and Simon Bolivar's wars since those are subjects I find interesting enough but know little about yet too lazy to research myself.

So what other revolutions are podcast-able? Cuban? Iranian? Algerian? 1848? The Arab Spring maybe?

I'm kind of hoping he does something on the Taiping Rebellion since it's fascinating as a failed revolution.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How are u posted:

This is exactly what I was about to post. The Taiping Rebellion is loving batshit insane from beginning to end, and millions of people died. I kind of feel that if he doesn't cover it he's making a huge mistake.

While I want Revolutions to cover it, I wouldn't say skipping it is a huge mistake. It's a symptom of the failing Chinese state and picking any one of the civil wars that China had in the nineteenth and twentieth century could cover a lot of the same territory. Skipping over a Chinese conflict would be a huge mistake, it just doesn't have to be this specific one (though I really want him to use it).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jng2058 posted:

You have no idea. I was working in a library a few years back and one of my coworkers, a young woman in her '20s, held up a copy of "1776" and asked "Why would anyone write a book about a year?" After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I explained it to her. She shrugged and went back to work none the wiser. :sigh:

I don't get it. The Sherman Edwards musical is good, but it didn't really have a lot of impact on public consciousness. It's not unreasonable that someone wouldn't know about it.

The thing that impresses me more about that question is why wouldn't someone write a book about a year? A lot of stuff happens in a year. It could have been historical fiction about significant events that happened to someone in that year. Or a history of the world impacting events that occurred that year all placed in context with each other (I haven't read it and I assume the book has a narrow focus on the start of the American Revolution; sorry if I'm wrong there). People write great books on every subject imaginable, why not a year? But then I guess that's all part of having a world-view so tiny that they don't know of anything significant happening in the year 1776.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Is Mike Duncan an historian?

He's researching and presenting history. He's a historian even if he works mainly from secondary sources.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It takes any new podcaster about a dozen or so episodes to really get their feet under them. It's why I generally skip ahead to episode twenty when I'm picking up a new podcast. Some people never improve, of course, but that's a good line for working out if someone will be worth sticking with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

and the fourth is a BBC radio series.

I think you mean the often recommended in this thread BBC radio series and podcast In Our Time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Should be out in the next 24 hours.

The VI is how many hours long it will be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

I learned about 0 Henrys. Just 1 George, and I think some Elizabeth I and Victoria. American Schools drop vast regions of the globe from the curriculum like a hot cake. You learn the 5 rivers where civilization started and then you quickly never hear anything around the Indus or Yangtze again for millennia. You stick with Mesopotamia and Egypt till around Classic Greece and then they're not mentioned again either. Then it's Rome, general Europe in the Dark Ages, the Renaissance, and then North America is discovered and nobody cares about any other continent until sometime around TR and the Rough Riders taking on Spain.

History classes are always going to have a focus on what is significant for that culture. Asia has a lot of interesting history, but it was relatively compartmentalized from western History for a long time so history classes in the US aren't going to cover a lot of it. Part of the problem is that history textbooks are going to build a relatively simple narrative. "Western civilization started here, went to these places that matter to us, and ended up with us." There isn't a lot of room in the public school curriculum for exploring other aspects of things. But the same applies to everyone. Basic history education is going to be "a history of us" and thus skim over a lot of significant things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

The Dollop is usually awesome but can occasionally be quite frustrating because Dave and Gary are kind of morons.

Yeah, when they get into politics I want to say, "Don't be on my side guys."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I sort of wish they do another Reverse Dollops. It's not that American History aren't interesting (it's not, my country's is far more interesting), but I sort of wish the Dollop can do something about other countries' histories. Like, their live episodes on the historical comedies of Australia are good, I want more of that.

Basically I'm asking if there's a "Dollop" that covers other countries.

There's a goon-made podcast all about weird Australian history if you want more of that called Last Stop to Nowhere. Not as funny as The Dollop, of course, but plenty of interesting topics that you'd never hear of. They rebooted their podcast in the past year and I haven't listened to the new version yet, though the old one was enjoyable...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Cuz it's Aaaaction Park!
Wish I could've gotten shitfaced as a teen there :(

As a kid nowhere near New Jersey when Action Park was still open, Action Park was the mythical ultimate theme park where you got to do what you want. As an adult, I'm glad I never got an opportunity to go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Cinema for the ears.

That line was from someone who has no clue how cinema or radio drama works.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Are there any good podcasts on finance and the economy out there? Like one not necessarily about US specifics all the time, since I'm in Europe.

NPR's Planet Money is a short bite of an economics story broken down in a way that is very understandable for laymen. Episodes are only about ten minutes long, typically, but it's a nice primer to getting some better knowledge than what your typical news story gives you.

EconTalk is probably the best economics podcast in terms of content. It's an interview show and it dives a bit deeper into economics than Planet Money, which means that sometimes topics are things that only economists could really be interested in. The host is firmly libertarian (of the practical variety, not Internet libertarian) if that matters to you, though it mainly comes up with him getting into polite disagreements with his guests. People tend to really hash out their views on the show, it isn't simply a "guest says whatever they want while the host gives polite agreement" thing. It's more like an academic debate when there's a guest that he strongly disagrees with and that prevents things from getting polemic. Personally, I only listen to the show when it's a topic I'm interested in; the practical discussions are much more interesting than the economic theory ones in my eyes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WEH posted:

I thought they were pretty good natured about it! Both sides were very clear about it not being possible to say for sure and the dude who suggested restraint just didn't get a chance to really say his piece on air.

(frederick was gay tho lol cmon)

I can understand being annoyed at how some historians latch onto tiny details of someone's life, take them out of context, and draw huge conclusions from them. When your primary source for something is rumormongering from people who are hostile toward that historical figure, you shouldn't just accept the statements at face value.

Frederick the Great probably was gay, though. Like 70/30 on the odds that he was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Show me your gay calculation.

You sound just like my old teachers. "You have to show your work!" they'd tell me ever time I turned in my homosexuality homework.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh man Gran Colombia will be great. I really need to get a jump on this series and power through the English Revolution stuff.

I found it kind of dry. Feel free to skip ahead since it's all self-contained.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caustic Soda, podcast of the weird, awful, and gross has come to an end. Just a few episodes ago they were mentioning tabling topics for later episodes and they just decided to end the show. It's so abrupt that I'm kind of hoping that this is just their April fools prank. The show was never one of my favorites but I am going to miss it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

Yeah at the beginning of their last episode they say that they want to dedicate more time to their other projects, which I'm going to believe is the actual reason since Toren already has plans to make a new album.

I'm sure it's exactly what they said. Just worn down and wanting to commit time to other things. I'm glad they decided to give a special final episode rather than just fade away like some other podcasts do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

individual865 posted:

Here's a new podcast on the fall of the Roman Empire by a recent PhD, focused on interpretation through current research , digging what I've heard so far! https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast

That was not good, but it always takes new podcaster about fifteen to twenty episodes to learn how to do a podcast. I'll check in again a few months from now to see if he's improved.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

New Hardcore History is out!

5 hour long double ep to finish up the Persia series.

drat it, Carlin, I had things to do today!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Kinda bummed that Carlin skimmed over Xenophon, especially when so much of the episode is devoted to how scarce and suspect the sources are. Otherwise pretty solid.

The Lesser Bonapartes did a series on Xenophon before the host switch if you're interested in some people getting deep into just that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I do kind of agree with the dude when he complains about there being so many popular podcasts where the hosts just read Wikipedia articles (and a lot of them outright admit it on air) and there is definitely space for highly researched stuff but their drat hosts just sound like they were grown in a lab to create Local TV Morning News Host Organisms. I’d rather have the Wikipedia readings if they are done by charismatic and friendly hosts who are clearly good friends and have nice chemistry as opposed to news bots.

Now you're making me wonder why there is no podcast that is dramatic readings and riffing on Wikipedia articles talk pages. You'd think that would be a goldmine of crazy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

If I never have to hear another ad for a podcast where three people are getting together to talk about pop culture and politics and whatever else we want, and giving me zero reason to care about these people's opinions, it'll be too soon

"Hosted by me! Some idiot you've never heard of!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dalmuti posted:

a podcast where the hosts just replace a word in the title of a movie of tv show with the word "penis"

Tempted to make this podcast and use this exact title.

Episode 1: The Mary Penis Moore Show.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This made me check and make sure I was unsubscribed from Hardcore History.