Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
That sounds amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Prophets of Doom was absolutely amazing. I remember watching this when I was young: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106051. I have no idea if there is a subtitles version around, probably not.

I started listening to the new episode and it has been great so far (~1 hour in).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I finally finished the episode and god drat it was amazing. I'm from Germany and all we cover is the War of Independence, the Civil War, WW1+2 (but those from our perspective) and the Cold War.

I'm really glad Carlin covers some of the stuff that was ignored.

I think I'll buy the 30$ Hardcore History classics bundle for my father for his birthday. He will love it and I really want to listen to the paywall episodes :v:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Drunkboxer posted:

You know I like Jeff Rubin alright but if I have to hear him say Lost is one of the best shows of all time I'm going to crawl into my earbuds and punch him. Also Orange is the New Black is not "at the same tier" as Boardwalk Empire :argh: Also I hate this guy he's interviewing :argh::argh:

I got mad at the Boardwalk Empire comment too. That show is insanely good, people just ignore it for some reason.

I just got into The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin show two weeks ago but I love it. He has amazing guests. I just listened to the episode with the Facebook designer and it was just super interesting.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you want bulletpoints you should read the Wikipedia article. Carlin really tries to make the events relatable and that can take him on some weird (but effective) tangents. I loved then he used Bill Cosby's family as an exampple when he talked about Ghengis Khan.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

feedmyleg posted:

Well, just bear in mind, it's not going to be a few 90 minute intallments, it's something like 20+ hours for the Roman Republic episodes.

And they only cover like 10 years or so. He really went for it with this one.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Random Stranger posted:

What? He started with the Gracchi brothers and went to Julius Caesar's death. That's a literal century of history.

Oh god you are right. I got confused :shobon:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Carlin said on twitter that the new episode will be released within 48 hours :woop:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's not on pocketcasts yet :(.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

rypakal posted:

Ok. It's just trigger phrasing for crazy. Like when he says "listen folks" on the other podcast. Dangerous Territory.

The episode was, per usual, excellent

Common Sense is really weird. I expect him to go on some weird libertarian rant all the time but I usually end up agreeing with him :tinfoil:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Yeah that guy was weird. And he refused to answer questions a few times too, he just said "Buy the book, $20".

The episode with the romance novel lady was great though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Did I hear that right on the new Common Sense, he thinks that the WW1 series will take years? :stare:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The download from dancarlin.com works for me.

Christ, why am I so excited about a podcast?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love that Dan has a boxing analogy for everything :allears:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

quote:

I've been working on the next HH episode, and it is going to have a rather horrible rhythm to it (yes...on shows that are as long as ours, a rhythm, pacing and the rise and fall of tension and drama are all things we have to design into the narrative).

I remember how I felt after I saw the movie "Platoon" when it first arrived in the theaters in the 1980s. I am not going to tell you what that feeling WAS (and spoil your fun!), but that's the way I want you to feel after the next episode ends. I want you to feel a tiny bit like the people living through this era felt.

Just FYI, it ain't gonna be rainbows and unicorns...and you are going to get dirty. Bring a poncho. And a gas mask...

Stop teasing and just release the next part Dan!

Also: The last Common Sense was...something. I really didn't expect to hear that much about Dan's father.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Am I the only one who thinks that Dan Carlin's obsession with giving nukes to the small eastern European countries is kinda weird?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You should give it a try, it's pretty good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I find them funny too but I also think that they are fitting too.

Also: I really want an episode about the amazing arctic expeditions now. Especially the Shackleton expedition he mentioned in this episode. That is such an amazing story.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Dan finally got to Ernst Jünger :allears:. That guy was loving crazy. His book is a great read.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Random Stranger posted:

It's out and it's four hours long. Almost, but not quite a record for the show, I think.

I think the anabaptist episode was 4 1/2 hours.

Wooo I have to spend a few hours on a train tomorrow, great timing :getin:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

RagingBoner posted:

I'm not an emotional guy by any means, and it made me cry. Some moving stuff in there.

Yep, amazing episode. He found a ton of great quotes and his delivery is just perfect.

I haven't hear the Fitzgerald quote before and Churchill's description of the battlefield was new to me too. The time Dan needs to do the research for this show really pays off.

I don't even care about naval battles but I absolutely loved his description of the battle of Jütland.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
And he used to take LSD with Albert Hoffmann. He is such a fascinating character. Just look at all the crazy poo poo on his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_J%C3%BCnger

He joined the Foreign Legion BEFORE the war started and then he lived until 1998 :psyduck:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Risket posted:

How is that being a crazy person? If it was my son I'd be the same way, but his point was that that would be a lovely policy to have as a country, in response to the people who use that argument.

He just sounds like some of the batshit crazy talk radio guys. It's really not what he is saying but how he is saying it, I guess his radio background comes out more in Common Sense.

Anyway, I really like it. I don't always agree with him but he brings up really interesting points and he often has perspectives I hadn't considered before.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Jesus. I have a long as train ride on Friday so this comes at the right time. Thanks Dan!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read this one book that was just about a month! August 1914

Hah, I'm currently reading The Guns of August too. Great read but I'm glad that I read The Sleepwalkers before.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

gradenko_2000 posted:

An alternative approach I read about with regards to teaching history was to abandon the idea of starting from 3000 BC in the first place. A student arguably is not going to care about the Ancient Egyptians unless you really make a concerted effort to make it interesting, but you might have better traction with starting in the now and tracing it back to how things got that way.

Like, ISIS versus the Kurds in the north vs the Shi'a in the south: how did things get that way? You go back to how Saddam held the country together at the barrel of a gun, and then how Iraq as a country was formed with little-to-no regard to ethnoreligious divides in the first place because Sykes-Picot was mostly an economic thing, which then winds you further back to what Iraq was like under the Ottomans, etc etc etc

History ends up being a target for being politicized because some people figure that if it's not being used for indoctrination, it doesn't really do anything, because they don't know that history is a skill insofar as whenever you run into A Thing, you'll want to dig into its past to get perspective and context.

That sounds a bit like what Dan Carlin said in one of his common sense podcasts about history education and I think he is right. Context is really important, just learning facts for a test doesn't do poo poo.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Damo posted:

nthing Ghosts of the Ostfront. If you only listen to one Hardcore History, make it that one. Although you won't just listen to one because Hardcore History owns bones. (Get it? Bones? That's my little depressing joke referencing the opening of Ghosts of the Ostfront).

Logical insanity was an awesome episode as well, though it isn't a WW2 history narrative it tackles issues from the war. Highly interesting stuff.

That opening is so well done and I really can't think of a better way to get the listeners into the right mindset for what is coming in the next ~7 hours.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
By the way, I REALLY like how Carlin handles the money stuff. It seems like he gets most of his income from donations/ads but he never begs for it and the ads are never annoying.

I actually bought some of his older series (ghosts of the ostfront and punic nightmares) twice because my father also wanted to listen to them. I could have given him my MP3s but I think Dan really deserves to get the extra dollars.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I don't know why but I think it is really funny that you can pay with bitcoin in Dan's shop.

Also I just bought Thor's angels because I want to listen to it again.

I just finished Death Throes of the Republic again and I was just amazed how much more I got out of it this time.
I think I want to know more about the late republic/early empire. Are there any books you would recommend?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I finished History of Rome and it was one of my favorite podcast series of all time, thanks to this thread for the suggestion. That time period was blank for me so I learned a ton, and appreciated the host's careful fact checking and corrections.

I do agree that the early episodes have some audio issues, but nothing insurmountable and those go away as the series progresses.

Fantastic series, it was perfect for driving.

Now listen to Dan Carlin's podcasts about Rome! They are called "Death throes of the republic" (Gracchi brothers to Augustus), "Punic Nightmares" (Punic wars) and "Thor's Angels" (end of the western empire).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So apparently the Death Troes of the Republic podcast was planned as a short podcast about Cleopatra.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rodyle posted:

Another amazing Carlin impression from Colbert this week.

Can you post a link? Really curious!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god a new episode. And it's about ancient history :woop:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TontoCorazon posted:

Dan should guest host The Dollop. I'm pretty sure Dan Carlin knows about some really crazy poo poo.

Isn't that what Hardcore History was supposed to be? A show about stuff that history majors talk/laugh about in their lunch breaks.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The new Common Sense was pretty great. The first part about the Bill Gates article was super interesting and I think he was spot on about the Paris stuff. Also: Boxing analogy!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's kinda scary how reasonable Carlin sounds when he is talking about mind control :tinfoil:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started to listen to The Dollop and I think I love this podcast. My first episode was the one about Uber, after that I listened to the amazing episode about cars and I just finished the fantastic new episode about newsies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
"The Celctic Holocaust"

Sounds interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin