Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This isn't a podcast, but the audiobook of Rubicon by Tom Holland is also super great if you're into the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quick review - the WWI thing is a good episode. I'm troubled a little by his reliance on Niall Ferguson, known rear end in a top hat, but he seems to be aware of the biases of his sources and uses them appropriately. Excellent stuff.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'd kill for a Russian Civil War podcast.

e: maybe the Revolutions guy will get to it someday.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Guess I never heard that episode. I got sick of Radiolab because of the production style.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Rubicon by Tom Holland is pretty good. And the History of Rome podcast by Mike Duncan is great too.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

rotinaj posted:

He manages to make exciting things like dogfighting and bitter troop fighting super dull because he never changes inflection.

Duncan used to be exactly like this - check out the Punic Wars episodes of History of Rome to hear what I mean. He has really made huge improvements since 09.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I think Carlin has the temperament of a conspiracy guy, but has enough historical knowledge and context to channel those impulses in the right directions.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

They pushed a lot of Malcom Gladwelly stuff, I think. Wildly overinterpretating brain studies to make sweeping conclusions about Human Nature etc

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

e wrong thread

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 7, 2019

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the episodes are great, and I think especially when they can tie it to their own experiences, but on others it just feels like listening to someone read a Wikipedia page.

Yeah, I listened to their Winter War episode and it was pretty rough, they were getting an annoying amount of stuff wrong. Good podcast sometimes, but not flawless

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I remember him mentioning how much he liked John Lambert and wishing he'd had more time to go off on that. Seems like an interesting dude. Pax Britannica is coming up on that time period though

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, there are only so many ways you can say "he was stabbed by his bodyguards"

Still looking forward to it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I think it’s going well. Nothing innovative, they stick very close to Wedgwood, but it’s fluffy and most of the jokes land. Less grating than Carlin or your standard History Bros pod, at least