Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I've been listening to The Ancient World and that's been pretty cool if perhaps a little dry. The guy has a serious problem with monotone voice although he seems to be trying to change things up more in his newer episodes.
One of the areas he touched on at the start before shifting his focus away was the start of civilization in Mesoamerica. I was wondering if anyone knew of a podcast that focused more on the subject of early American civilizations? That's an interesting topic I don't really hear much about. Or about non-mediterian Africa either now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Carlin is good at telling stories. If that's not what you want out of your history facts funtime then yeah, I can see how he might be a little much.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sure it's exactly what they said. Just worn down and wanting to commit time to other things. I'm glad they decided to give a special final episode rather than just fade away like some other podcasts do.

Yeah, I can understand that and it's cool of them to at least do a finale type deal instead of just stopping. I just feel kind of blindsided to have all of a sudden get hit with 'The End!' maybe if I used twitter or something I'd have seen someone talk about it coming up there, but I didn't get any sense they were planning to wrap up and end the podcast before this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The British history podcast has hit that era of Britain now. Some of the backer bonus episodes have gone more indepth on things from the Viking side but the main podcast is mostly focused on the impact to the English kingdoms

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

fyi, Inward Empire's part two on the great strike and the red specter of the commune came out on friday
merry christmas nerds

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It really was the best ep, I wish he'd hunt down more stuff like that instead of like "y'all heard of ww2??". Hope he never wastes his time doing an American civil war ep even tho it's perfect for his demo

if you have to do a civil war ep, i think inward empire did a pretty great job at not just rehashing dead horses

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i find the dollop to be very rarely like, laugh out loud funny, but i think their tone also helps with getting through some of the darker stuff they cover too

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i'm going to have to re-listen to an episode or something, because i have no idea what any of you are talking about

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The history of china is a good knockoff of History of Rome. The china history podcast is very different. The host is a business man who has lived and worked in china for years and still flies there very often. He makes no pretensions about being a serious historian and his interest clearly rest's in more modern times and in Chinese American relations. Check out his series on Zhou Enlai or on the Tongs of New York chinatowm for a good feel for his style. If you want a more historical and chronological podcast the history of china is the podcast for you.

it should be warned: the beginning episodes are extremely rough. like, not cutting out stumbling over words or occasional long pauses level of rough. i'm hoping chris improves as time goes on, but i haven't made it out of the 2014 episodes yet.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

webmeister posted:

To be honest, I had to re-listen to the first third with a map and wikipedia summary in front of me before I really understood what was going on. I actually haven't listened to any of the Bolivar stuff yet, is it good? I quit my office job and suddenly don't have 7-8 hours of commuting every week available to listen to podcasts!

if you're not already familiar with the geography of central america, you might want to break out the map again, but i found it a lot easier to follow, there's a much smaller cast of major players

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i was under the impression he's been going in roughly chronological order?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Have we talked about Our Fake History in this thread? I listened to some bits of the archive the past couple days, and I'm enjoying it so far. He looks at myths and historical "alternative theories" and talks about the evidence for and against, but way less credulously than the Ancient Aliens types. He actually borrows Darwin's quote about reading a book on Atlantis "with interest, though I must confess in a very skeptical spirit" during one episode and says it would make a great motto for the show. Highlights include:
  • Making a little musical riff to play every time Heinrich Schliemann fucks something up (or fucks someone over) during the Troy episodes
  • Uncritically repeating the "middle finger gesture comes from the battle of Agincourt" myth during the Joan of Arc episode, then putting out a mini-episode on it being a myth after he got called out on it
  • Accidentally kicking the hornet's nest that is the Graham Hancock fandom by grouping him in with the Ancient Aliens people

sounds like a good time

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Do you want to hear a digitally chopped and rearranged Dan Carlin doing the history of the 2020 US election and the fall of the republic? You know you do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&pagenumber=209&perpage=40#post472699757

oh my god

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Our Fake History made be worth a shot

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

anyone just picking it up, i'd definitely recommend just picking and choosing whatever looks interesting rather then trying to go through the whole backlog for sure

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like the dollop but if you handed me one of their scripts I'd call it mediocre; it's the delivery and the comedy that makes it.

Like stuff you should know is dollop sans comedy or charisma and I poo poo canned that thing almost a year ago.

I'm making it a bigger deal than I need to but I disagree with the idea that Inward Empire aspires to being as good as the dollop; I like empire better but really they're both different.

Edit: I didn't really mean this to be a direct rebuttal of the previous post, because The Dollop certainly has a certain theming in its episodes and I could see how a specific episode of another podcast could resemble it.

i don't think the allusion had anything to do with commenting on comedy or charisma, just pointing out a similarity in how the episode was structured???

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

thankfully there's absolutely no reason why you can't just pick and choose from the episodes that look interesting. it's not like a history of x podcast where you feel obliged to start at the beginning

Does anyone have suggestions for podcasts about Chinese, or Indian history? Or other asian countries/culture more generally? History of China does not seem to be improving in quality as I skim through the backlog. I also found a podcast creatively called History of India which opened with episode talking about how the podcaster first decided to learn Indian history because they thought it be really easy, which... does not inspire confidence.
Though really I'd be interested in anything outside the rome-england bubble. The History of Egypt podcast has been pretty good.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Rodyle posted:

History of India is run by a Cambridge professor, he was being sarcastic. It's great.

alright, i'll give it another try.

and thanks for the suggestions folks

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/iepodcast/status/889521868281085953

Coming ??/?? of ????

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

good luck, though i wouldn't expect much from gbs

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

yikes

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

victory

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Rodyle posted:

hoo boy let me tell you about a little show called The dollop

so say you're a guy...

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/iepodcast/status/980818494001426433

a punishment earned

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember listening to a few episodes of the British History podcast and thinking it was garbage. Even in the first few he was drawing sweeping conclusions about poo poo we know next to nothing about. There are decades in the history of the Isles that have maybe, maybe a single paragraph to describe them. The idea that you could tell a factual narrative history with such scant sources is laughable.

he's usually pretty good at discussing his sources and their reliability as he moves from one topic/time period to the next

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

buglord posted:

Any goon favorite astronomy podcasts?

i used to listen to astronomycast every week, but dropped it after the change in focus to being a 'live' show with minimal editing
there's still a huge archive of topics in the more edited/professional style though, and the co-hosts are really great. i just don't care for where they went with the presentation

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i've never really read much about wwii or the pacific theatre more specifically, so i appreciated this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

inward empire posted a short reflection piece of how the show has done and where it's going and is looking for feedback: https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/inward-empire-2-0/