Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If anyone doesn't listen to Revolutions but was considering it, this is an excellent jumping-on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
In the opposite sense, I always really enjoy when someone notable dies (often killed) in History Of Rome or Revolutions and Mike Duncan will give a quick recap of their life, accomplishments, whether he thinks the modern popular image of them is totally fair etc. Guy got me emotional about the death of Oliver loving Cromwell.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I love it when Mike just drops in a little joke, mostly because it's usually out of nowhere and still read in his usual dry but addictively listenable style.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Agreed that I don't enjoy the military stuff quite as much but can see why he's done it in this case. Seems like he's going to be going to be moving onto the French Revolution fairly soon anyway, which is obvious way less military and generally pretty great/insane.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Revolutions Podcast has returned from its break (to focus on the French Revolution), in case anyone doesn't check their subscriptions to that or something.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hearing Paul F. Tompkins at the start of the newest episode of The Nerdist (the one with Superego) speak at some length on his love of In Our Time and the impossibility of listening to it passively was an unexpected delight.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I would also say that they have fairly different styles, in that Carlin tends to really focus on certain points and explore their significance, while Duncan tends to move quickly and be pretty detail-heavy, but making clear what the actual big, must-remember things are. Not saying either is better, each one is probably the best way to approach the specific kind of podcast they're setting out to make.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone else ever listen to You Must Remember This? Podcast about early Hollywood, occasionally moving into later 20th Century stuff. Really well done on every level, definitely a solid evening/night-time listen. You can pretty much start on any episode, although I remember this one about Montgomery Clift being super interesting.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Neil MacGregor announcing that he was stepping down as head or the British Museum encouraged me to finally go back and finish his BBC series 'A History Of The World In 100 Objects' from a few years ago.

I would guess that a lot of the people in this thread have already listened to them all, but I would really strongly encourage anyone who hasn't to give them a go. Every episode is a super well-made little gem, all of them feel sufficiently distinct while fitting into that week's theme, and as part of the long-term narrative. Really appreciated how non-Euro-centric it was too, manages a pretty impressive survey of the world in different eras.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
To be fair, this YMRT series so far is much more about LA/Hollywood in the late '60s, with a specific focus on Charles Manson, which makes it way more interesting to me at least. Also, if anyone didn't know, Karina Longworth is currently dating Rian Johnson, which is pretty drat cool for both of them.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You Must Remember This really is phenomenal, it's pretty nuts how much time and effort must go into every episode. Impressed that Karina can keep up a weekly pace (with pretty short breaks between 'series')

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I think the thing with Bragg is that, although he is definitely being a little rude because he has to be for the show to work, it definitely must come across as worse on the radio than it does for everyone in the studio. Plus, bear in mind that the majority of guests on any particular episode are repeat visitors, so it's not like they're total strangers, and it seems that nobody gets too offended by it.

On a different note, writing this did just remind me of one of my all-time favourite In Our Time moments, when they were discussing The Tempest and a woman ends the episode by saying that Propsero deserved to have his daughter raped by Caliban. Stunned silence all round.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

If i listen to an In Our Time from 1988 and one from 2015 they sound exactly the same, and that's a good thing. How old is Melvyn Bragg now anyway? :ohdear:

Bragg is 75, although still seems to be going pretty strong - still 16 years younger than fellow Radio 4 host Nicholas Parsons. I do hope they keep going with it after he retires/passes away though - it's such a unique and great show, and it would pretty much be impossible to make outside the umbrella of the BBC. Obviously wouldn't be the same without him, but there are plenty of BBC people who could make a decent go of it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Slightly off-topic, but if anyone is a fan of In Our Time then they'll enjoy this very good documentary that the BBC just did on Melyvn Bragg. iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b063f1qd/melvyn-bragg-wigton-to-westminster, Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWMaNQqNXM0.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Guessing everyone who cares already noticed, but You Must Remember This is back with a more classic Hollywood season, this time focusing on MGM during the studio system era. It's great, everyone should listen to it!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, probably its greatest strength and weakness is that it's a radio show, not a podcast. They can't just let it go for as long as they like.

No matter what you think of particular episodes, or Bragg's presenting style in general, I do think it's hard to argue with the body of work that the show makes in total. Has covered such a ludicrously broad range of ideas, usually in some level of detail and pretty consistently entertainingly.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Honestly, hosting In Our Time well is a loving impossible task, and Bragg does it as well as anyone could.

Tbf, pet peeve: because he understands maths and science less well than he understands history, etc., he does get impatient on the science-y eps faster than the others, but that's probably right for a general audience.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Not saying you're wrong, but I do think that 'hard on crime' and 'supporting the death penalty' are not necessarily the same thing. At least in that (in people's minds anyway) the former refers to muggers and pick-pockets, the latter to murderers and child-rapists.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
In Our Time back starting next week, for any fans of that :toot:. Do love that Bragg clearly just refused to do the show over Zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Feels almost unbelievable that In Our Time is only now doing an episode on Herodotus.