Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I seem to recall him mentioning that he would cover it in time. After the russian revolution maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Annual Prophet posted:

has he said when he's going to cover Russia?

I'm going off entirely by memory here and I might be wrong but I got the impression it was supposed to be the next big revolution covered. It was around the start of Bolivar's saga though so I could have remembered wrong or he could have changed his plans since then.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Listening to the latest episode of Revolutions, I think pointing out Nicholas' hypocrisy in saying how the Dumas would choose ministers incapable of doing their job is the first time I've heard Mike raising his voice or sounding genuinly angry.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

COPE 27 posted:

This one of many reasons the left will never win power, we need a mean son of a bitch but we keep looking to the most angelic people to save us.

I mean, the left did win in Russia and in China by being mean sons of bitches. Thing is, it turns out that most people willing to use any means necessary to to win the fight for their ideals also have no problem directing that kind of cruelty and brutality on the general population once they're in power, be they from the left or right. Anything is justifiable in the name of attaining and then maintaning power.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
WDF's interpretation of the Korean war was pretty interesting to me, although it's where the vast majority of my knowledge of the war come from ( I knew next to nothing about it beforehand) so I can't really fact check it.
Basically, Zack puts forward the idea that the war was actively orchestrated by Stalin as a mean to ultimately sever China from the west and force Mao to tie himself to the Soviet Union. As for the US, they were perfectly aware of what was going on, but Truman was keen on letting it happen, going so far as to purposely leave South Korea weak and vulnerable as to encourage invasion by the north, all so he could justify the massive increase in the defense budget he had planned. There's a lot more he puts forward that I'm not gonna go over, but apparently his interpretation of the war pissed off a lot of his listeners.

I honestly don't know how right he is about the whole thing, but it's rather convincing because he's not just pulling stuff out of his rear end and is basing himself from declassified documents that weren't available at the time most of the histories were made.