Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's nice to see that Dunning is as smug as he came off in the few episodes of Skeptoid I listed to even when faced with felony charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I never listened to his stuff but I had no idea Carlin was that stupid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mantis42 posted:

That having the experience of something like that in global memory helps to build a taboo around it happening again.

man this guy needs to learn some history!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a good thing the holocaust wasn't literally morally and logistically inspired by past genocides done by europe and america or that take would be insultingly stupid!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh that's why he's pro concentration camps then, he's a 'only Biden could fix things' dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think 'don't even bother' is a common stance at all, I just think most say 'don't use this as your only frame of reference'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea 'the bullet ricochets around inside you to make it super extra deadly' is like, super classic gun meme jokes for people either trying to make their gun sound more badass and scary or someone uniformed trying to make a gun sound scary. I've never listened so maybe they are just really dumb but I'd be kinda shocked if they unironically were spouting one of the most common dumb guy gun memes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Truman using Korea as one giant sacrificial lamb is a not super fringe theory. There's not a lot of proof because obviously he never said 'yea gently caress them Koreans' or whatever on the record but it's not some random rear end pull of a 'dude what if...' thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea uh the whole 'Davis was a nice guy' thing is not great but I think 'sympathetic to the early KKK' is pretty much the ironclad tick in the 'lost cause freak' row because that early KKK was literally entirely based around 'actually gently caress the surrender we're still gonna murder and terrorize black people'.

Like, obviously not to say somehow the modern KKK isn't also horrible but 'sympathy for the early KKK' is literally sympathy for the actual confederate soldiers openly admitting they just want to lynch black people still. The Davis thing is just ahistorical and dumb, the KKK thing is actual lost cause poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PerilPastry posted:

It is good but one of the hosts - knowledgeable as he is - can't go five minutes without saying stuff like "Good thing the woke brigade wasn't around back then." or "They'd have canceled Churchill, Blitz or no Blitz!"

The other guy seems to hate Thatcher so maybe it balances out.

What does he think Churchill did about the Blitz?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Radia posted:

Definitely get where you're coming from, but sounds like you just might not be familiar with modern white supremacists. Here's an alright-ish article to get started: https://www.salon.com/2021/03/08/why-white-supremacists-and-qanon-fans-are-obsessed-with-the-byzantine-empire_partner/

I'm sorry I just truly can't stop staring at this post. Even setting aside that this is literally just Salon going 'some morons on the internet said a thing' as if it's a massive movement, the start of this was being upset that a historical podcast was seen as 'rooting' for the Byzantines over the Normans? I'm not sure I'm a fan of the implications of the idea we should be somehow uneasy about pointing out the objectively correct side in that conflict because PepeFucker88 posted Deus Vult, especially when the implied alternative is being more nice to the famously violent zealot Normans who were the conquering force there! Just because PepeFucker is too dumb to know he'd be way more comfortable as a Norman doesn't mean 'I think this podcast about the Byzantines fighting off Norman invasion is a bit too pro Byzantines' is the way we need to go.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Hanson's a huge piece of poo poo, even if somehow you're not just base level offended and turned off by the western chauvinism as a concept he's just a really dumb guy who's points all circle around the same 'WHEN WEST DO THING, GOOD, WHEN OTHER BROWN PEOPLE DO THING, BAD. WHEN WEST DO BAD, IT BECAUSE BROWN PEOPLE MAKE THEM" poo poo you can find any idiot on facebook spewing, just completely not worth paying attention to even if somehow you're in this thread and a huge fan of western chauvinism.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kiminewt posted:

Never heard of the podcast, but I assume if you're on season 3 then the first two were good and accurate?

Blowback is extremely good and accurate, yea. They hang out with/are shitposters but they genuinely do very good historical work using primary sources/interviews. Hard recommend for all three seasons, if you don't want to pay 25 bucks for the full season 3 early 1 and 2 will for sure fill the wait.

I'm so glad they did Korea, like they go in to on the show the whole 'forgotten war' thing is such a self serving narrative. We get to boo-hoo and pretend it's about ~respecting the sacrifice~ when we talk about how 'forgotten' Korea is but it's really just going 'hey don't worry about looking too much into who invaded who and who did genocide on what half of the country, it's all forgotten'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Danger posted:

The creation of the 38th parallel is nuts. Two dudes who never looked at a map were due to submit the boundary the next day so they did it at the last minute with a National Geographic mag.

Also like 100,000 Koreans had been killed by the southern occupation force well before the start of the war.

yea I hope you're ready to absolutely crack-ping from episode one on this poo poo, Korea was such a hilariously evil staging ground for the modern intelligence/military state. Basically everything we did in other wars that was horrible we did to Korea.

Like, they really do sum it up perfectly from the start. This was a civil war that had been going on since the post war period and then we rolled in and made it worse because we needed to put the commies in their place (their place was, apparently, killing the poo poo out of american soldiers, woops)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast itself, but

hmmm

Well good news, if you actually listen you'll find your weird knee-jerk assumption is just typical 'you say america bad...so...you love North Korea?????????' poo poo. The topic isn't really modern North Korea, so it's pointless to expect them to spend every episode going 'and, to be clear, North Korea not perfect', if you have issue with the actual historical facts like 'the war didn't start with evil North Korea invading' and 'South Korea spent more time as a police state than North Korea' and all feel free to raise them but just going 'they don't say North Korea isn't perfect enough in an unrelated episode, seems like propaganda' is silly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
bias is when you don't declare, unprompted, on a different podcast, 'North Korea isn't perfect' enough times.

Even though in that podcast they said 'obviously North Korea is hardly a 'free' country by any western standard' explicitly, the fact that they mentioned the objective historical facts like 'the first Korean election was actually North Korean and South Korea was the military dictatorship for a good bit' and 'the imaginary line North Korea 'crossed' was invented by western generals and no Korean on either side acknowledged it and in fact South Korea had been murdering North Koreans for months before' is doing a bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yes, you're describing the entirety of studying history, it's weird to 'remind us' that the people doing it are indeed humans