Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Lady Radia posted:

My only issue with the History of Byzantium podcast is that the dude notes he really does root for the Byzantines a ton of the time, and you can tell that's the case with how he describes Normans, a lot of the happenings in the First Crusade, etc., as well as some of the episodes at the end of Heracles' reign. It's fine, and still comes out pretty well researched and all, but man. I think he admitted as such during one of the ... 9th century Q&A's? It's around when he complained that the Byzantines "wasted a century"(??) of opportunity.

I definitely do get this pretty often when I'm reading narrative histories too, ending up rooting for whoever it is I'm reading about.

Then I have had it that I'll later read about the group that opposed them and and up rooting for them instead. I feel like it's just a natural human inclination, even if it is better to avoid.

e: semi-relatedly and I guess contradicting that, I've been listening to the History in the Bible podcast lately and good grief did that make me despise Joshua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I couldn't really get into Fall of Civilizations, and personally I like dry. Is there an episode people would recommend as a highlight?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I got to admit it’s a bold strat to just assume something is biased because it doesn’t tell the narrative you want…while never actually listening to the thing to confirm it one way or another.

Like most people would have the courtesy to pretend it wasn’t just personal axe grinding. You embrace it

I've had like 3 or 4 arguments in various threads over the years where I've been the one pushing that a lot of the narrative we have in the US surrounding the Korean War and the Korean division is a load of crap, but at least the way the arguments in that podcast got laid out here have me hum'ing pretty seriously.

That podcast shot to the top of my list in any case though, I am curious to hear what they actually have to say.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone know any good podcast about republican Rome other than History of Rome?
I finished Revolutions a few weeks back and decided to give History of Rome another listen (crazy it’s been 10 years); I know it gets better as it goes, but what I actually want to hear about in depth is the republican era and that’s the period he goes over at blazing speed and when he had noticeably way less experience.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think the first parts of the Russia series, with the development of Marxism and then Russian revolutionary movements up until 1905 were interesting. But once he got into WW1 and the Bolshevik revolution I just lost all interest. The end with the rise of Stalin was a complete slog. Kind of a disappointing end

Haiti remains his pinnacle.

This was exactly how I felt, but that was after binging the entire series in like 2 months so I figured I had just been getting sick of it in general. Gotta say, not poking the hornets nest or anything, but I left the post-1905 part with a much reduced opinion of basically every single major figure he covered, which surely didn’t help my engagement. Definitely don’t think it needed to be the longest of the revolutions, even if it was always going to be a bit unwieldy.

Anyway semi relatedly, I ended up picking up Storm Before the Storm and enjoyed it a lot, thanks for the recommendations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Speaking of early Rome, ACOUP namedropped The Partial Historians which seems to be a podcast run by a couple of academics about exclusively that. Anyone listened to it before?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Seconding Partial Historians.

Peopling the Past is also great, about non-elites in ancient history, and History of Egypt is probably my favorite mono-subject podcast. All three are run by academics which is nice too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I figure I'm probably one of the last in the thread to have not been actively listening to it already, but after bouncing off it a few times in the past but I gave Tides of History another go and this time it hooked me. I'd been in a bit of a podcast hiatus which maybe helped, since I went in with less expectations this time. Normally I go for as dry as possible with my listening, so leaping into epic_music_(world).mp3 was an immediate turnoff and gave me the impression it was pop history to the max, which it turns out was extremely unfair. For such an all-encompassing set of topics he's actually refreshingly transparent and academically grounded? A lot better than Mike Duncan and the like. I started on his survey of Eurasian languages, but have gone back to the start of the prehistory stuff now; super captivating stuff.

In fact I'd actually go as far as to say I'm enjoying his little narrative snippets and the soundtrack now I've gotten into it a bit.

e: I also signed up for the Wandery subscription to listen to it since the ads are absolutely atrocious, but it turns out the Wandery app is also kind of poo poo. Does anyone have a preferred place to listen to it? I'd happily just pay upfront to get access to it like Blowback lets you do if that's an option (I have words about their Korean War series incidentally, but gonna save that for when I can muster the energy for a write up) but I can't find him offering that.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I went and stalked his LinkedIn (it was high up on Google, alright?) and he has 2(??) MAs and a PhD in history so even if it's not on the level of e.g. the History of Egypt guy being an actually practicing historian in the field I think he has some pretty sterling credentials for a podcaster.