Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommonShore posted:

Especially on the English Civil Wars

I'm late to Duncan-chat but yeah. I actually started at French and worked forward, only rolling back to ECW after catching up on Russia, and it is almost comedic how rushed and shallow the ECW series feels relative to anything French and forward. I honestly am not even sure if I listened to his ARW series, but just from the episode descriptions it does not look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

The Haiti episodes were where he let his usual smartass neutral historian mask slip and you could hear him get genuinely upset and heartbroken at the horrors that the Haitian people got put through.

Yeah you can hear him losing sympathy for the liberal revolutionary types who he was very sympathetic to in the previous series.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah Duncan is sympathetic towards a lot of figures who were assholes or didn't really end up serving the cause of revolution that well. He liked Lafayette enough to write an entire book about him even though he was ultimately never more than a (well meaning) liberal at heart, he loving loves Talleyrand who is like the textbook scheming chancellor character, and more recently he's pretty up front about his view that Tsar Nicholas wasn't really a bad guy personally and what happened to him is pitiable in a sense, he was just a woefully under equipped ruler for the times he was in and too attached to absolute authority that was very clearly not long for the world.

When it comes to Nicholas II I kind of get it. He was just absolutely and completely out of his depth, had received an awful and probably counterproductive education, and operating in a system that did its best to isolate him from the world around him. He was presiding over a machine that produced a shitload of suffering but was never really in control of it. Dude would have lived a much happier and longer life if one of his uncles had pushed him off the throne and sent him to live in Denmark or some poo poo.

But he was also a living breathing caricature of a racist, so yeah.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are there any better Byzantium podcasts than History of Byzantium? I'm early on but it strikes me as pretty amateurish.

Maybe I'm spoiled with Fall of Rome though with Wyman having literally written his Ph.D thesis on the period his podcast covered.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

For a narrative history, that's the only one. I wouldn't call it amateurish, at least not once he gets into it. Anthony Kaldellis also does a ERE podcast but it's topic based, not chronological. I don't know of any others.

Oh poo poo he does? Imma have to go check that out at least.

Also good to know HoB is okay at least, his very unassurred introductory episodes did not inspire confidence.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

As much as I love history podcasts and audiobooks, I also don't retain information as well as when I read it. For ones like Revolutions I usually wait until I have several built up to listen all at once, it's easier as a chunk instead of week to week.

Yeah I do the same, especially during covid I've taken to going on long drives basically just to listen to podcasts (and get out of the house).

But yeah when you're coming into a new period it's a bit of a mess. When I read Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West I had to keep notes on the side to really follow the narrative bits, too many people I'd never heard of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, Kaldellis' podcast even has an episode on the Empire's depiction in video games with somebody from Paradox as a guest. This is a cross over I never expected and am very hyped for.

Not sure whether to start there or with the Rus' episode...

E: upon further inspection the video game episode is hella uninteresting

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 10, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

For some reason the funniest thing about that whole thread is getting to the end and instantly recognizing the poster as a fellow Paradox game player

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

It's even worse than that: Nicholas genuinely believed he was divinely appointed, placed on Earth in his role of Tsar by God in order to enact His will. His thinking wasn't just "I don't have to make any concessions because God will save me", it was "I can't make any concessions because doing so would be a betrayal of God's divine plan for myself and the people of Russia."

Yeah the dude is a walking Catch 22. He genuinely held good intentions, but was woefully and completely misinformed about the Empire he was supposed to be running, and his belief in his divine favor prevent him from resolving any of its problems.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

buglord posted:

Were there any monarchies in history that survived with a generally happy population? Or does a happy and efficient monarchy just switch into a democracy?

:britain:

The Lichtensteiners are still going right? Though I'm not sure how much power they weild, but I think it's a fair amount.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh and I guess the Saudis are still going full tilt, that's probably the best example. I have no idea whether ordinary Saudis are "happy" but they seem non-riotous at least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yup. Patrick Wyman did a good episode on it: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1NUizZVVyiPmBmM55LAqdE?si=FKe0IkuEQlKXUPbvm7vwpQ&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s just never what it was going to be, as that’s not the style Duncan seems to prefer. I guess he could change it up but that’s what he does. There are historians who specialize in those types of books but the narrative histories are more popular because they are just easier to read.

I don’t know why he would change what he prefers for his books. They should be the same.

I don't really have a horse in this race either way but I don't think they necessarily should be the same, it's a book not a podcast, it would be natural for it to go more in depth, it would hardly be strange if he had chosen to switch it up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I keep trying to start from the very beginning but its just so dull. Will i miss some sort of context for skipping English Civil War? Where do you recommend I start in that case?

Nah the ECW series I also found very dull, same with the ARW series. It really picks up with the French series, Haiti is amazing, as is 1848 and Russia so far.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Revolutions and Tides of History for me, but yeah p much.

Seriously. I mean I shouldn't pretend I've fallen out of love with him, Dan Carlin single handedly had me convinced podcasts were stupid for years. But yeah I cannot contemplate advising anyone to listen to Carlin when Tides of History (and Fall of Rome before it), Revolutions, History of Rome/Byzantium, Byzantium and Friends, and the SRB Podcast exist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Any love in this thread for the SRB Podcast? I've been listening to a lot of the more historical episodes which are great, and now I have a whole new interest in the much more numerous Donbas conflict episodes now that people seem to think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

mrfart posted:

Any good history podcast about Eastern Europe?

The SRB Podcast covers Russia, Belarus and Ukraine extensively. Though you probably should be more specific in what you want to hear, and where exactly Eastern Europe is for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yea the SRB Podcast will be right up your alley then.

And seconding the History of Byzantium as a very good podcast in general, and one that covers a lot of early Bulgarian history for somewhat obvious reasons. I think there's also History of Bulgaria and History of the Balkans podcasts out there that I've heard advertised on Byzantium, though I have not listened to them so can't really speak to them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

History of Byzantium is fun but it gets bogged down sometimes. i feel like we've been hearing a lot of nothing about manoooeeeeeeeelllll for like a year now.

Yeah the bog is the place to be. If anything I'm disappointed we didn't spend longer with John II, but sources be what sources be I suppose. The post-Alexian pre-Fourth Crusade period is I think one of the least covered generally, I'm happy to spend as long as possible here.

But yeah nine months without updates hurts, though more for him than for us obviously.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lmao

Dan Carlin, worst history podcaster? Also everybody in the comments of that are correct, despite it being over 2 hours long everybody should watch the recent Folding Ideas video on NFTs. It is both correct and hilarious. https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cessna posted:

Can we give a negative review of a historical podcast?

:justpost:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That reminds me of the one and only criticism I have for Byzantium and Friends: the way in which it just abruptly ends at the end of the interview with zero fanfare. That sweet musical stinger from the intro deserves another use.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I am a big fan of Revolutions, but had avoided HoR due to a general podcast aversion when it was airing. The first few episodes of HoR are striking in their mediocrity by comparison.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

History podcast jokes only really work if they are dry. I think the English history guy is pretty funny but he says the joke and moves on in one fluid motion

Yeah this is one of the things I love about Anthony Kaldellis, he makes these random jokes, chuckles about it himself, then just moves on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's also The Sleepwalkers, which is all about how the July Crisis was actually perceived by people who actually lived and steered it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I thought they were genuinely caught off guard because they assumed their plan of "nuke the USSR to death at the slightest provocation" would both deter communist attacks and allow them to save cash in the short term.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah History of Byzantium is solid. I'm working my way through History of Rome right now actually - currently at Antoninus Pius - and I think Byzantium is actually a much stronger show than Rome.

Honestly Rome seems far far weaker than Revolutions as well, though both of those comparisons might be the bias of comparing modern shows to older ones, Rome strikes me as having done a bit of pioneering for the genre.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't he say he wanted to do something on the Crisis of the Third Century? Or was that Patrick Wyman?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone have good recommendations for an American Revolutionary Period / Founding Fathers type of podcast? The girlfriend has been watching Hamilton and was asking about something that covers the actual personalities involved.

Mike Duncan covers it in Revolutions, though my recollection of the series is that that season was before it really got good at all, and I'm not sure how much it covered all the Founding Fathers and their conflicts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

:siren: New podcast alert :siren:

The Rest Is History just dropped a promotional episode for Empire, which is a podcast about the British East India Company plundering the Indian subcontinent (supposedly it will be a podcast about other empires as well but there are exactly two episodes out so far).

I don't know much about the subject matter so I can't unequivocally say THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED but it's a pretty good podcast so far. Good production, engaging storytelling, and it seems like they have a plan to get through the story in a fairly timely manner. It seems like a good addition to my rotation and the first two episodes flew right by.

Also just swinging back to say thank you for the recommendation, Empire is absolutely wonderful.

Especially... William Dalrymple :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I like the weeds. It's why I listen. I don't want jokes or quick summary resolution - I want something that goes through the material carefully and pulls out the interesting nuggets

:same:

If Revolutions has one great failing it's not covering Iran or Afghanistan. Or not going back to cover the American Revolution again, you can basically see Mike's politics and sympathies shifting as he goes along through France and Haiti lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone else listening to Empire and finding it's going waaay downhill? Now that they're out of India the show seems to be turning into the Anita and William Drive Time Radio Hour.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I'm enjoying the new Tides material but I feel like it's barely a distinct season and more just a straight-up continuation of what he was examining at the end of the previous season

Yeah I'm not sure why he's presenting this as a separate season. Probably some Wondery fuckery?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It may be pretty similar to the Bronze Age stuff from last season, but a single season covering everything from prehistory to the end of the first century BC would be pretty weird.

That would be weird, though I feel a better place to break it would be the advent of writing and the beginnings of non-pre history.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think it goes all the way back to his PhD days, where it was a useful conceptual exercise to go through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has Mike Duncan announced any of his plans post-Revolutions yet?

E: also I gotta say I loved Patrick Wyman's episode and interview on the emergence of Rome. Nice to see someone peel back the obviously rotten layers of the Romulus myth onion, while still stressing how important it was to contemporary Romans understanding of their own past.

E2: Also it's a deeply Canadian suggestion, but The Strategists podcast has been really good lately.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 27, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seconding history of Byzantium and Friends of, they are top tier podcasts.

The Partial Historians should probably be listed too, even if they've barely made it to the actual history parts of Roman history lol (also they might be there now I'm still catching up)

Also the Eurasian Knot, nee the SRB Podcast.

I've really enjoyed the Foreign Affairs Interview as well, nice insight into the imperial mindset of the old global hegemon.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 31, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

. For such an all-encompassing set of topics he's actually refreshingly transparent and academically grounded? A lot better than Mike Duncan and the like. I started on his survey of Eurasian languages, but have gone back to the start of the prehistory stuff now; super captivating stuff.

Yeah Pat has a history PhD (I think on late Roman stuff, which is why he started podcasting with that) and has read a lot of primary sources, and is used to historical methodologies, which helps a lot.

And yea it's ad free on Amazon music too, though that app is also poo poo in that it's Android auto implementation is no good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also why I love Byzantium and Friends so much.

I have mixed feelings on the Tides' interview episodes though, I like the idea, but also interviews are not Patricks' strong suit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For Tides of History is there any narrative or rhyme or reason as to the order of the episodes? Or should I just pick the ones that seem like an interesting topic and listen to them that way?

They're in rough chronological order within the seasons, with great big time jumps between the seasons.