Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

dayman posted:

Prophets of Doom was freaking awesome.

Yeah. It was probably my favourite HH thus far. I really can't see why Dan himself hated it so much. Someone should really make a film of that story, I'd watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also, The Partially Examined Life.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Does anyone listen to the Moral Maze (which like In Our Time is just a podcast of the Radio 4 program)? I find it's a bit hit or miss, but every now and then you get a really good episode where all the witnesses drive the hosts mad and the hosts themselves tear each other apart in the sum-up section (or where you end up agreeing with a witness you thought you'd hate, but that's less "fun").

The latest one where Giles Fraser all but calls out half the hosts for anti-semitism for daring to discuss banning circumcision is particularly vitriolic.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Up and Vanished was good, and notable for the fact that after a bunch of podcasts investigating the mystery someone actually gets arrested for the crime and now it's following the trial. I stopped listening a few eps after the people got arrested though so I can't say how it fares after that.

Also notable because it's highly plausible that the actual killer only got outed because of the focus that the podcast brought back on the case, even if the host didn't technically solve it themselves.

That said, I tend to think shortform true crime works much better for podcasts. Casefile being my personal favourite.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 24, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mike12345 posted:

I'd check the publishers or networks you like, they might already offer podcasts. Eg National Review comes to mind. In Europe I'd check the Economist or websites of popular conservative newspapers.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the Economist is particularly conservative. They’re more classical liberal/libertarian. The Spectator is probably more archetypally conservative, and they have a podcast too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Jack B Nimble posted:

Before you decide you don't like Dan Carlin, try the good stuff:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-48-prophets-of-doom/

Yeah. This or Wrath of the Khans are my favourite HH stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In Our Time has some episodes on that kind of thing (which is probably a statement that would be true for literally any imaginable topic), but I don't know of any podcasts that exclusively look at historical religions.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

buglord posted:

Yeah im on the second half on it, and its a really good primer on figuring out whatever the hell Japan is thinking during this period, and why they're thinking it. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this episode and am going to want some podcast reccs on japanese war politics.

The History of Japan podcast has a couple of series that are semi-relevant. There’s one on state Shinto, another on the militarisation of Japan.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZeusJupitar posted:

Are there any good podcasts on Islamic history or theology? Or religious studies in general really.

Seconding this question. I've been looking for a good podcast on religious history/comparative religion for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. If he does an audiobook version where he reads it, I'm in. Otherwise, nope.