Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Can anyone recommend a history podcast on more of a concept topic than a time period, region or culture? Something like the history of literature, science fiction, art history, architecture, that kind of thing. The History of English Language podcast is kind of like what I'm thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rodyle posted:

The history of philosophy without any gaps

Featuring a side podcast with Indian and African philosophy

Thanks, I'll check it out

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The Appeal podcast is an excellent leftist podcast about police/criminal justice reform but I doubt it'll cover the primaries at all.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
There's only so many times you can read (or listen to) the liberals and the left worked together for reforms, until the liberals had what they wanted and stabbed the left in the back, then the right came back and crushed them, before you see the pattern.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I listen to ~40 hours of podcasts a week I need less ways to run out of episodes not more. Also it's way harder to understand people without the gaps between words.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I mostly listen to History Podcasts but informational ones are good too, and I've enjoyed listening to literary podcasts if it's something I'm familiar with. Some of the ones I've got are
History of Rome, Byzantium, of Philosophy without any gaps (+india/africa), of the Crusades, Revolutions, Imaginary Worlds, Twenty Thousand Hertz, The Dollop, The Allusionist, Making Gay History (strongly recommend this one), 99% Invisible, Our Fake History, Pirate History Podcast (I don't see a lot of talk about this one, it's pretty good), Tides of History, History of China, Inward Empire, History of English, Hardcore HIstory, Viking Age Podcast, Myths and Legends, Factually, The Movements, Nancy, Gender Reveal, Worst Year Ever

I've got the History of Persia on my list to hit and the British History Podcast.

I'll have to check out Century of Sound

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Bregor posted:

What’s the vibe of 99% Invisible? I’ve heard it advertised on Criminal a few times but haven’t listened yet.

Its very NPR but the topics are pretty interesting, usually have some history you probably don't know, even if its rather insignificant.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Can you name 3-4 of your favorites from that list

Probably The Dollop, History of the Crusades, Revolutions, and Worst Year Ever.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I usually liked the interviews more than the main episodes in the early modern stuff, but both were pretty good. I'm having a real hard time with the prehistory stuff, it's certainly interesting but without any actual... history, or people and specific, non huge timespans my brain just can't focus on it well.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
More podcasts really should be five hours long though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I found the first chunk of the prehistory to be impossible to focus on or retain any information from but once he switched to talking about the development of agriculture and societies in different locations it got a lot better and more interesting.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
On one hand it was a horrific act, but on the other hand those white farmers really wanted that land and also they were extremely racist, so who can say, really, what the right thing to do was

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The iheartradio suite of ads is unbearable and they go to breaks way too often. I didn't want to listen to a true crime podcast the first time you suggested it and by the 8th in one 1 hour segment you could not pay me to check it out. What part of "listening to a politics podcast" makes you think I really really want to hear about movie star gossip and fashion?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Oh, that should be good

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I get the full length episodes on Google's podcast app, no problem

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

CommonShore posted:

They remove older episodes from the feed after like 6 months or so and the archives are only available on wOnDeRy pLuS, you know that app that also does mid-episode reads about murdering children and dissolving their bodies in acid.

Oh, poo poo. I hopped on when Tides started so I've never gone for the backlog, that sucks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Their Benedict Arnold series is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
History of the Crusades / Reconquista
History of the Second World War (it might get to the War eventually but I'm still working the backlog of lead-up, which has been fairly good if not hugely indepth)