Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Saying Orange is the New Black is on the same level as Boardwalk Empire isn't some kind of denigration of Boardwalk Empire. That's a weird reaction to that statement. Unless he hates Boardwalk Empire.

Also, his podcast doesn't seem educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Hitch posted:

Likewise. I too couldn't make it too far into Carlin's podcasts. I'm sure they have great information and are well thought out, but the lack of information density in any given 5, 10 or even 30 minute timeframe was unnerving.

Listen to his politics podcast and his history podcast sounds practically pedestrian by comparison.

My biggest issue with the Podcast History of Our World happened early on, when he presented the flight of the Jews from Egypt from the bible as part of history.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

The History of Byzantium is at least bearable, the History of Britain podcast sounds like a history student's undergrad project.

I vastly preferred the British History podcast over the History of England

rypakal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 15, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I'm five minutes in and he's talking about alleged lone gunman and the "government's Oswald narrative"

Is he one of those?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

uPen posted:

No, he's making a point about it doesn't matter what actually happened.

Ok. It's just trigger phrasing for crazy. Like when he says "listen folks" on the other podcast. Dangerous Territory.

The episode was, per usual, excellent

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Common Sense is really weird. I expect him to go on some weird libertarian rant all the time but I usually end up agreeing with him :tinfoil:.

He stays a lot saner than your Joe Rogans, but once in a while he says something and I think "he's listened to a lot of Glenn Beck"

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Yeah this ep is great. The quotes regarding the German army marching through Belgium in particular were unreal.

No matter how many times I read about armies, in fantasy fiction or historical writings, I can never get over how hard it must be to just get food to them. And if it takes 10 hours to cross a bridge, that must suck for the guys at the end. Do they even get to sleep?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the back log is pretty overwhelming with In Our Time and because it's just a BBC radio program with experts talking about these topics they're all pretty good if you're interested in the topic. The only episodes I've found to be excessively dry (it's BBC and college professors so it's always going to be somewhat dry :v: ) are usually the philosophy ones.

There does seem to be an excess of Roman (or closely related) topics as I look over my directory of episodes. I have enjoyed their pieces on Chinese history. The Ming Voyages (Oct 13, 2011) is a good one for that; there's some crazy theories that get pushed about these that they don't cover but knowing about them makes it more interesting (basically, a fringe "historian" with a habit of making up facts keeps publishing books about them traveling to America or Italy).

I got bamboozled by the book. I keep it around as a cautionary tale. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0061564893

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Jay Dub posted:

On the topic of biblical history, I've been listening to Lance Ralston's Communio Sanctorum. It's a podcast on the history of the church, similar in style to Lars Brownworth's 12 Byzantine Rulers/Norman Centuries podcasts.

Last year, Ralston reached episode 100 and decided to completely reboot the podcast. Starting over at zero and beginning at birth of the church, I think it's a much more focused show now, and the 15-20 minute episode lengths make it easy to burn through half a dozen episodes in one sitting. He does let his personal religious bias show through every once in a while, but Ralston does a pretty good job of keeping his discussions based more on historical fact.

FYI, when searching this is "History of the Christian Church". I may have spent too much time trying to find this on downcast.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Jay Dub posted:

Ah, yeah that's true. "The History of the Christian Church" is how it's listed on iTunes.

Sorry, I'm just so used to hearing him introduce it as Communio Sanctorum.

Well, it just errors out when trying to stream/download. So maybe that's not the right name after all.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I do kind of wonder why he needed 3 different PhDs in almost the same subject, but whatever.

libarts.txt

(I'm one, I'm allowed to say it)

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Antti posted:

Somewhat related, Duncan called Ben Franklin "the Founding Grandfather" in Monday's Revolutions, I like it.

America's Horny Great-Uncle

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

It's ok. He says "listen up folks" enough that you know he's a crazy conspiracy nut that shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm 100% positive he believes in Bigfoot and ancient aliens. But he does decent historical research and has a well trained audio delivery.

Oh, and his summary of Teddy is spot on. I'd go further and say Teddy's conservation initiatives were poo poo because he only did them so he could do more trophy hunting at home.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

My problem with Dan isn't necessarily his ideas. It's that he sounds like Glenn Beck and Jesse Ventura.

Listen up folks

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Dan's right. No matter how many times I hear it, the Christmas Day story is one of the weirdest moments in history.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

radlum posted:

I was thinking the same, I wish he got back to the more political issues because after a while, the battles stop being that exciting, specially if they are not as major or if you are not an American.

They are actually less exciting to an American. We mostly only hear about the battles.

He keeps the political stuff in mind when talking about the battles, but there's just so much complexity he has to miss. Even History of Rome was pretty battle focused.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't know how the four hosts they chose for these two shows are still so bad years later after so much practice.

Man, they're on hiatus for a while and played an old episode and it's really jarring how great the voice talent on Stuff You Missed in History Class used to be.

However I think the quiet laid back NPR tone is intentional and I quite like it for the short form history podcast stuff. Dan talking like that for four hours would make me murder a puppy, but having to listen to a 20 minute burst of Dan every few days would also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I actually learned something new in the previous episode, about the coups that Washington suppressed diplomatically.