Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Am I missing something or did the roman republic podcasts disappear from the archive page? They're not up for sale either. I was just done with part 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The roman series is in fact on the store page BTW, even though it's not apparent from the main archive page. Don't think I'm going to start a PayPal account just to get the last episode though

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Anyone listen to the hardcore history extra on the mongols? Worth $2? Steam winter sale is coming up so I could put that toward a terrible indie game instead

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I was listening to the Thor's Angels episode of hardcore history today because I was desperate for a podcast and hadn't heard it before. I think I avoided it earlier because I just looked at the title and I'm not too into vikings, but it turned out to be really awesome, not about vikings and referenced the planet of the apes over and over. Anyway, at the end he talked about all these interesting plans about putting out more shortform stuff, interviews and generally more content. This podcast was from early 2012 and that never even remotely happened. I guess dan really can't be trusted to ever do a short podcast himself, but I think the interview thing would be a great idea to get out some more content without too much work on his part. Just find some academic historians who are good at talking and ask them to describe their research interests as though it was a heavyweight titlefight

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
It was fun hearing Dan read a newspaper website comment section in the same way he does Mongol generals or Charlemagne

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Common Sense does kind of suck because it's basically just a long talk radio segment on current affairs, not because Carlin has super objectionable politics. If he put as much research and work into one as he does a hardcore history episode it could probably be good, but he doesn't so they're bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

Maybe it's just been a while since I've listened to a Hardcore History, but I'm about halfway through the latest episode and feel like what I've heard could easily be cut in half. Dan is talking in circles so many times and I just want him to get on with it.

I felt the same way, a lot of the stuff before the Cuban missile crisis felt light on detail and heavy on "what's that like??!" digressions. I chalked it up to knowing a lot more about recent history so not being super interested in a broad overview