Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Spycast has a lot of really good Cold War stories in their archive.

https://www.spymuseum.org/spycast/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Just lol.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

webmeister posted:

indie musician John Roderick, who are both pretty chilled, funny, and good dudes.

Bean Dad

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Can we give a negative review of a historical podcast?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, will do.

The podcast is called Napalm in the Morning: The Vietnam War in Film.

It is billed as "2 Historians DIVE DEEP on films about the war(s) in Vietnam. Laughs and historical analysis await!"

I started out by listening to their first episode, a look at the movie Full Metal Jacket. I should be all over this; I was a Marine myself, I majored in History (with a concentration in the Vietnam War for grad school) and for comparison I did a ”where I watch”/review of the movie on another message board a few years ago.

The podcast was just bad, for the following reasons.

- It was an hour long summary with no analysis whatsoever. The hosts summarize the movie - "and then they do this, and then this happens." And that’s about all they do - this wasn’t a “deep dive,” it was a shallow skim at best. They also cite incorrect sources (or fail to cite sources) repeatedly. (Edit: To explain "failing to cite," they talk about how the movie was based on the book The Short Timers. They never mention that a LOT of the dialog came from a more famous book, Dispatches.)

- They’ve clearly never been in the military. That’s fine, you don’t have to be a former jarhead to know what the Marine Corps is, but they make all kinds of basic errors that could have been avoided by reading a Wikipedia article or two. Or, if you’re doing a military-themed podcast, get a guest who was in who can maybe help out. As it is, one of the co-hosts is a self-proclaimed “gun nut” (a big red flag) who made a big deal about identifying a rifle used in the movie. This really wasn’t important.

- There's little or no attempt to place the movie in any sort of historical context, either on the level of what the movie was about (the Tet Offensive in Vietnam) or when it was filmed (the militaristic Reagan era). If the hosts are, in fact, Historians (they're called "Dr" in the podcast listing) I have to wonder what they're teaching. You would think a Historian would do this; establish the situation. maybe compare it to other Vietnam movies from the same era, you name it. But they didn’t give more than a sentence or two of context.

- They don’t look at the movie from a “film” perspective. There’s no discussion of what it’s intended to symbolize or mean. Kubrick, who directed the film, is a master film maker, and they mention this a couple of times, but what did he bring to the film that makes it different or better? Yes, the sets were mentioned, but that’s not a “deep dive.” As far as any sort of “film school” analysis, it’s all barely touched on.

The hosts claim to be “funny.” It didn’t come across. The only humor they showed was playing some of the dialog from the movie, then laughing, then moving on to summarize the next scene.

All in all, they spent entirely too much time just summarizing the movie in a “Cilff Notes” manner, but didn’t give anything beyond that – and when they DID try to talk about war stuff they made all sorts of glaring errors. They would have been better off giving a brief summary and calling in people who know what they’re talking about, either as historians or film buffs or as people who know the military.

Vietnam war movies could be a great subject for a podcast. But not this one. It’s a waste of time, just skip it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 16, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

Film Podcasts are notoriously garbage. Seeing garbage like How Did This Get Made get huge convinced every two bit "Comedian" that they can slap a movie on for two hours, and then bullshit for an hour and rake in the cash. Going in on Vietnam was probably just their ill advised hook to differentiate themselves from one of the most over saturated markets there is.

I think you could do a good podcast about how Vietnam is portrayed in movies. You could cover subjects from John Wayne's stupidly gung ho Green Berets to anti war movies.

But this podcast is not the one to do it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 10, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

uPen posted:

e: For the new page, Dan Carlin has released a 6 hour podcast on slavery, someone needs to report back if it's as dire as everyone assumes.

Not it!

I dropped out after his WWI episodes, they - weren't good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Prof. Banks posted:

Has anyone else ever had an episode of a podcast they liked be so factually wrong that it ends up spoiling their trust in that podcast? Because I recently listened to the M-16 episode of the Lions Led by Donkeys and they make some outlandish claims that are so reality bendingly bizarre that it's kind of ruined the podcast for me. And not just gun nerd poo poo things, but stuff that if you thought about it for like 10 seconds should set off your bullshit alarm and should have never made it into an episode. One of the claims was something like the ballistics of 5.56 are such that if you hit a person in the leg it would ricochet around inside them and come out of their chest. The entire episode I was basically looking like this :psyduck:.

Yes. Their episode on the T-55 tank was similarly full of basic errors.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

rotinaj posted:

I listened to http://civilwarpodcast.org/ back when it first started, but found that it got so dull to listen to, I started falling asleep. Not good when you are handling hazardous chemicals. Did anyone else ever listen to it? Did it ever get better? How the gently caress is it not over after a decade? Are any of the hosts secret bigots?

383 episodes, including 65 on Gettysburg alone, and they aren't even halfway through the war.

I am in awe.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

There's a part of me that wants to listen just to find out what exactly the First Sergeant of the 1st Potomac Home Brigade Infantry was doing at 2 PM on July 2 1863, but holy crap.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

Foote's trilogy is only more than a hundred hours long in audio book, Christ just get that.

No thanks, I don't like Lost Cause bullshit.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hanson is a neo-con who thinks the West's superiority to lesser peoples can be traced to the fact that the ancient Greeks fought in formations with big shields and spears.

If that sort of thing appeals to you, hey, enjoy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yep.

This is not an exaggeration, by the way, it's the thesis of his best known book, The Western Way of War.

His outlooks regarding modern politics are significantly worse.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

sexpig by night posted:

I'm so glad they did Korea, like they go in to on the show the whole 'forgotten war' thing is such a self serving narrative. We get to boo-hoo and pretend it's about ~respecting the sacrifice~ when we talk about how 'forgotten' Korea is but it's really just going 'hey don't worry about looking too much into who invaded who and who did genocide on what half of the country, it's all forgotten'.

Okay, I'm sold.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Didn't he used to do a current-day politics show?

I can't be bothered to listen to that one, I'm not a big Carlin fan. He's a good storyteller, but really poor as a historian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

webmeister posted:

In Our Time keeps on trucking, though I haven't listened to that for a long time. I assume it's probably still great if you want to hear professors argue while a British aristocrat snipes at them.

Ngl, I love that, especially Melvyn's snipes.