Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Dan Carlin is the love child of James Burke and Stan Lee. Give him time - he works with a lot of analogies to try to paint a picture of what it may have felt like to live in a given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

While waiting for the next HH I've been listening to a relatively new BBC series on WWI. There are a couple of "arcs" so far focusing on the role of women, propaganda and the homefront.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/ww1/ww1/rss.xml

Are there any other podcasts on WWI or II that come highly recommended? I've tried "The History of WWII" but found it a bit stuff and lacking.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

WrathOfBlade posted:

Yeah, I think that's part of what makes it so fascinating and disturbing as a narrative. Things got so terrible, so quickly, and then they just... continued being terrible. Interminably. Agin, and agin, and agin.

Like the first round of a boxing match. You think you've been hit hard now but you have no idea how bad it's going to get.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend recently turned me on to the podcast "Lore." It's about folklore/history with a focus on the creepy stuff like ghost stories and vampire legends. Only 5 episodes out so far and it's decent, although I could do without the background music throughout.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lore/id978052928?mt=2
http://www.lorepodcast.com

head58
Apr 1, 2013

You guys know there is an actual Dollop thread, right?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Can anyone recommend any UFO/Forteana/Weird poo poo podcasts? The batshit loonier the better.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend just started a podcast on gamification in education. I'm biased but there's good stuff here for educators or folks who like to think about games in general.
Podcast - Game Level Learn: Episode 1
https://overcast.fm/+Hcw1P9lmw

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks y'all!

The text is mostly done, but they haven't been posted yet because I haven't done the music. Ditto for chapter 9. Working on that on a daily basis right now, so I expect they'll be coming out soonish!

e: Oh, what's on the soundcloud as chapter 4 is actually now part of the new Chapter 3, which I haven't uploaded yet. The new chapter 4 is nearing completion, I'm working on it right now.

I laughed so hard at "which was um, you know, upsetting" that I scared my cat. This is magical.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm imaging a 24/7 livestream of history podcasters taking turns just rambling on unscripted about stuff from the past they know about for like 4 hours at a time.

With Melvyn Bragg there to keep them to the time limit.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

oh dope posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast, or single episodes, that covers historical mysteries? Astonishing Legends scratched an itch i didn't know i had with their shows on things like Flight 19, and the Nazi Bell, and things that are just so old/obscure/bizarre that no one really knows anything about it, like Gobekli Tepe or Oak Island. I've pretty much exhausted their library of that stuff and I'm looking for more. I'm not at all interested in ghost stories or UFO sightings though, and they love that stuff on their show.

Generation Why has a handful of historical mystery episodes scattered here and there (Titanic Conspiracy, Bermuda Triangle, Dyatlov Pass), mostly before episode 150 or so, but they’re primarily murder themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It felt like that episode was a lot of unnecessary digging when all they needed to do was search Facebook. I partially remember there was another episode recently that was something similar - a big mystery with a very simple way to find the answer - and i wondered in both cases if they had indeed solved it early on but then inserted all the hunting around for the sake of making a good episode.