Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't mind analogies or tangents, it's just that it sounded too over the top for me and I wasn't looking forward to 90 more minutes of that. I'll give it another chance. I love the Roman Republic and Empire, so at least I chose an interesting topic to start.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Guys, there are few times I admit I was completely wrong and this is one of them. I love Hardcore History. I haven't had time to finish the second half of episodes about the Roman Republic but so far they have been great. I love Ancient Rome, I even bought a Roman Warship model to work on while listening to the podcast. Thanks for telling me to keep going and not judge Carlin for only a couple of minutes.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Jeff Rubin's most recent show has a guy who wrote a history of the "golden age" of Nickelodeon is pretty interesting, but the guy that wrote it is clearly a bit of a crank. I mean, I like Pete and Pete as much as the next 30 year old but declaring the era as some kinda high point in television history when you haven't watched tv in years is crazy. Also horrifically misinformed. I mean maybe if he could have stopped rambling about how everything on TV looks the same now and everything else looked different back then because of artistic vision or whatever it wouldn't have bothered me so much.

I really like Jeff Rubin's podcast, specially since his tagline "Interviews you didn't know you wanted to hear" is actually true, I would have never guess how interesting cleaning up after hoarders or working in romance novels could be. But that Nickelodeon "historian" was awful, everytime he wanted to point out how awful TV currently was (and recognizing he didn't actually watch TV) I cringed so much; I was interested in the book but now I am sure not going to buy it since he seems really misinformed.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I'm on 108 and thoroughly enjoying them. I liked the episodes on the daily life of the average Roman and tour of the provinces the best so far, as it had basically turned into The History of Roman Emperors.

I'm also looking forward to History of China, since as a westerner it's something I know a lot less about going in.

I love The History of Rome, but now that I am in the last hundred years of the empire it is kind of sad, like reading a book you already know the bleak ending of.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just bought some of the very old episodes of Hardcore History, I'm surprised how many nazi stuff is in there. I bought the X-History Files and the What Ifs episodes, since I wanted something lighter.

Anyway, Itunes thinks they are songs, so I can't stop listening, or I'll lose the part I was in. Any idea how can I make them podcasts?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Zorak posted:

Is it just me, or is Revolutions getting a bit more bogged down in the military action in the American War of Independence versus the English Civil War? It sort of felt like he devoted more time towards the political side of things / the political situation of what was going on during the English Civil War episodes than he has during the American Revolution eps, which always seemed to me to be the more important side of the overall narrative.

Not to say the military stuff isn't important or fascinating (it is), I just find the lack of the political side amidst all of it a bit amiss.

I was thinking the same, I wish he got back to the more political issues because after a while, the battles stop being that exciting, specially if they are not as major or if you are not an American.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like both SYSK and SYMIHC and I've gotten used to the host's voices, but the way ads just interrupt the podcast has gotten very annoying, it just breaks the flow of the episode.

I miss the times when the ads were just at the start, before the letters and the end of the podcast.

EDIT: In the lates STYMIHC the first ad comes in the 4:30 mark! They had barely introduced the topic by that point.

radlum fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 30, 2014

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Stuff You Missed in History Class isn't all that dense. Sometimes I think the hosts are deliberately trying to make me drowsy with their sleepy-whisper talk, but I still like it.

Yeah, the voices can be drowsy, but my biggest peeve with that podcast is that you get at least two ads for a 30 minute podcast (some for Stuff you Should Know), which is very annoying considering that Dan Carlin can go 3 hours with ads just at the end of the podcast.

Also, has anyone heard When Diplomacy Fails? I've been listening to the July Crisis episodes, the road towards WWI and while it can be interesting, sometimes there's too much pointless information and the guy makes weird voices when quoting people.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just finished the lates Hardcore History. I really liked, I have such a bad chronological understanding of WWI that I keep expecting the USA to enter the war or the Russian Revolution to start in every episode.

Anyway, I hope he reduces the description of the horrors of trench warfare, at this point I have a pretty good idea that war is hell, no need for further descriptions.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Any opinions on the Ask Historians Podcast from Reddit? I've been listening to some episodes and they have been rather interesting, but I don't know much about that subreddit.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

I just listened to the Revolutions fundraiser. It's kind of interesting that he's willing to let some rich guy pick a whole revolution for everyone to listen to. Though I want to see where this goes. I'm glad the Haitian Revolution is safe. I also hope he'll cover the 1911 Chinese Revolution and Simon Bolivar's wars since those are subjects I find interesting enough but know little about yet too lazy to research myself.

So what other revolutions are podcast-able? Cuban? Iranian? Algerian? 1848? The Arab Spring maybe?

That fundraiser seemed kind of optimistic. I hope he reaches his goals, I am really liking Revolutions.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't really care if the books are good, I bought them so the dudes get money and enough sales to be allowed to write more books. I've gotten hundreds of hours of free content from them, least I can do is buy the books. I liked The Storm Before the Storm though.

Same; I actually don't really care that much about Lafayette, but I wanted to support Mike so I ended up preordering the book. Hopefully the next one is on something that interests me more (but I'm gonna buy it anyway).

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any podcast about Italian history beyond the Roman Empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I have been listening to We’re Not So Different for a while in spite of Luke being an awful co-host, but I think it’s better if I listen to something that I actually like instead of enduring half a podcast. Any suggestions for Medieval history podcasts?