Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

radlum posted:

Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

Listen to the other topics first. Honestly I think the recommendation of Fall of the Republic in the OP is a terrible choice for a HH virgin, because it's really really long and slow to get started. Also, it doesn't have as much military history as some of the other episodes. Dan was a Military History major and the military aspect is his bread and butter. Describing battle tactics and strategy are what gets him really excited and it shows.

I would go and listen to something like the Ghosts of the Ostfront or Punic Nightmares episodes first since they are full of battles and tactics and what not. Military history tends to be a bit more exciting than political posturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Oh man a WWI for Dan would be amazing. Yeah he "already did one" but that was short. I want a nice tactical one with great military analysis.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Is it just the build up to the war or does it have actual battles in it too? Dan's always at his best when he's doing military history. Describing battles, arms, armor, formations and tactics and what not. It's by far the best part of all his shows and it's clear that it's his favorite part too. You know for sure he's a huge Warhammer nerd at heart. Hell, I'm pretty sure he's actually made some subtle Warhammer/tabletop gaming references in a show before.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Popelmon posted:

The download from dancarlin.com works for me.

Christ, why am I so excited about a podcast?

Same here.

Looks to be about 3.5 hours. Time to go on a road trip I guess.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Popelmon posted:

I love that Dan has a boxing analogy for everything :allears:.

Yeah I counted at least two boxing references in this latest episode. There may have been even more.