Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

Yeah he's absolutely at his best when he's sinking his teeth into :stonklol: primary source stuff. That fake HH transcript with the "Everything is happening now and it's horrible and greasy" fake-Lenin quote was incredible for exactly that reason.

Can someone post that again? It was hilarious but I can't find it.

e: nm found it
http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/153158660124/hardcore-history-segment-written-using-a

quote:

There’s another famous incident where Lenin said, quote, “Everything is happening and it’s so horrible and greasy and I often think about how many things are happening right now in history.” End quote.

I've got a day-long drive ahead of me soon, where might be a good place to start with the Revolutions podcast? The way its archived makes it a bit hard to tell where one part ends and another begins.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

webmeister posted:

Just make sure you've got a map handy for the English Civil War, because even though my knowledge of English geography is reasonable, I was totally losing track of who was where and matching to meet whom and so on.

Yeah I'll be driving 14 hours through probably several blizzards on the shortest day of the year, so I won't be looking at too many maps while listening.

The English Civil War sounds great because I know nothing about it. I might stick to the French one though because I know some of the broad strokes and am fairly familiar once Napoleon comes on the scene. Having some familiarity will help me I think as I need to keep a bit of attention on the road.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

French Revolution it is! Thanks guys.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I want to thank those who recommended Revolutions, and the French Revolution in particular. It was good during my road trip, and now its standard listening for most of my commute to work. I'm up to 1793 now!

The fellow is fairly dry, and his humour is that sort of nerdy, not very funny sort. And he also goes a bittt too deep for me sometimes. A committee being created and dissolved and created again and dissolved... well I do glaze over sometimes.

But these are pretty minor, considering the huge volume of content of stuff I've already heard from him. I've learned a great deal, and I think I'll get some sort of companion book to look into more of this stuff.

How good are the previous revolutions? He mentions the British one quite a lot which makes me curious.

One thing I'll say: I can play Dan Carlin while someone else is in the car and however they start, they usually end up pretty enthralled. Duncan though, he puts people straight to sleep.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Count Roland your post gave me severe whiplash.

I probably could have structured it better.

tl;dr: its great, has some flaws but oh well.

Not great for passenger listening.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dan Carlin is great, he's the accessible, enjoyable history we need more of. If He's frustratingly out of date with his material, well, better historians should work on also being better story tellers.

I say that as someone more excited for the next Mike Duncan work than the next Dan Carlin work .

Edit: they're both great, I'm just irritated by an anti Carlin backlash I've seen around.

That there's any backlash against Carlin is shocking to me, but he's popular, which means he'll have detractors.

Maybe this has been done to death in this thread, but how/why is Carlin out of date?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

He can definitely go off the rails when he gets on a tangent, goes too hard on the similies, or increasingly parenthetical statements. For the longer podcasts this can cause him to lose the thread of the story a bit.

But I give him latitude for this. His shorter podcasts are still several hours long. How can you possible stay on topic, stay focused, stay engaged for that long? As a listener as well? He doesn't always do it that well, but tangents can be good because they give you something different to think on for a moment.

The complaints above seemed to be about Celtic Holocaust, which I think was one of his weaker outings.

Thor's Angels might be my favorite short episode. It had a ton of dumb similes in it, but it ended up being effective and pretty funny in parts.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any short clips of Hardcore History around? A friend just asked for a recommendation, and a 40 second clip of some quote-voice scene would go over well I think.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megazver posted:

TBH I'd just ask if he was more interested in the fall of Roman Republic, the Mongols, etc and give him the first episode, telling him to pop it in next time he has to spend a lot of time driving/exercising/walking somewhere. I don't think a 40 sec clip will sell him.

Well it turns out he's already a fan so never mind.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

No, but seriously

I'd definitely listen to a 4 hour history of competitive fighting

I would too, but I'd worry he'd gently caress it up.

Unless he's actually boxed himself, in which case it would be loving awesome, but I doubt he has.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thwomp posted:

New Inward Empire is up and it’s about the Pinkerton police force used to break up strikes in the late-19th century!

I'd never heard of this podcast. But now I'm 3 minutes into this episode and holy poo poo its already amazing.

Also: ^^ yeah, I get that people say Carlin sucks, but its details I'm looking for. What, exactly, is he getting wrong?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Considering he's already talked about pyramids of severed heads, roads made of ice and corpses, and mass killings of all kinds how could it be any darker? Maybe he's just hyping.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also public executions and torture. I hope there's more on the gladiatorial side though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was 20 or 30 mins in before putting it down. I realize he's setting the stage and the like, but man he takes his time. I'll pick it up again later.

In the meantime I've been listening to some Inward Empire, which is loving fantastic.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Laterite posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdjBV8-jKpo/?hl=en

Thomas Middleditch impersonates Dan Carlin, laffs ensue.

Oh god its cringe-inducing but so accurate. Just missing the deep end quote at the end.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I'm interested in Mexico because it's something I know literally nothing about.

Same. And Russia will be a hoot, so to speak.

I wonder if he'll ever get to the Iranian revolution?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Snowy posted:

He has 33 patrons?

According to his twitter, he just made the account. He's up to 590 when I look at it.

His twitter also has another "addendum" episode, this time an interview with a general.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This podcast seems solid
https://soundcloud.com/workingclasshistory/
Some interesting episodes

Right now I'm really enjoying Inward Empire. In a weird lowkey dark horse way I think it might be my favorite historical podcast in terms of lacking some of the weaknesses of some of his peers but retaining their strengths, it's not too dry, but it's also not dadtainment, and politically it's on point.
The last Pinkerton episode was fascinating and chilling and I look forward to the next part.

I feel the same about Inward Empire, and after my first listen (the Pinkterton episode) I emailed the guy and said basically the same thing, namely not being a super-dry info dump like Duncan, or going way off into tangent world like Carlin.

I've listened now I think to all the episodes and the quality is generally high, though I found the topics boring in a couple. The Pinkteron episode, and the 2 parter about strikes are my favorites.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Ah darn. Guess that's the ephemeral nature of podcasts.

God this Dan Carlin guy sounds like a right wing radio conspiracy theorist when he gets excited. Or as if I'm working at a drive-thru and Dan Carlin tells me about the fall of modern society when I ask him if he wants barbecue sauce. I think I prefer the narrator in Revolutions to this dude.

I think he's that sort of personality, but his training in history (as well as his training in radio) keeps him grounded.

But if he's not for you he's not for you. I find Revolutions to be informative but oh so dry.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

It took me a while but his right wing radio host style of speaking finally grew on me. cant say the same about the boxing metaphors. Is Prophets of Doom a next good stop?

Prophets of Doom is amazing, I think its generally considered one of his best.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

I just need to find an easy way to port it to Overcast on iOS, though it seems kinda impossible?

I just download the audio file from his website.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

I just got through Carlin’s 30 minute segment on Rasputin and it’s absolutely :discourse:

Do you know the timestamp for when this starts? I wanted to listen to just that part the other day, but I couldn't find it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Having listened to only a few seconds, is the content written by a human or machine generated?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whew I'm glad you're paying for your lovely reality television, I was worried for a second.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Any guesses as to what the crowd pleaser will be? I assume something that's commonly requested, but I don't know what that would be.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd actually love a history of boxing, that is if Carlin actually has an eye for the sport itself.

(I know this will not happen)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think he's said he won't do the Civil War in the past.

Maybe Napoleon? Another Alexander the Great or Hitler like figure, pretty standard when looking at major conquerors.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Crusades maybe? I want to say he has mentioned that a few times

Reminds me I still never finished his last episode. I should get around to that.

Oooh that could be good. He mentioned them during the Wrath of the Khans episodes. The Muslim empires were dealing with Crusader invasions in the west and Mongol invasions from the east, it wasn't a good time.

I also didn't finish Painfotainment, which is a first for me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Saith posted:

Reckon a Weimar Republic series.

Oh gently caress I'd love this.

After Destroyer of Worlds I got a hankering for more modern stuff. Having audio clips available from the era is really a boon I think, though I'm still a fan of Carlin's famous quote voice.

I'd like to see the Suez Crisis, Russo-Japan war, some part of the Russia Revolution (say foreign intervention in such) or even the Korean of Vietnam wars.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Napoleon would be dope af but I feel like that would have to be a 10-parter like Blueprint for Armageddon was. I'd love a one-off that expanded on his Radical Thoughts episode because the American Labor struggle from like 1870-1940 is interesting as hell and underserved generally.

Do you know about Inward Empire?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been going through some older Hardcore History that I'd skipped before, and am really enjoying them.

Radical Thoughts (mentioned above) was fantastic. I had no idea anarchists played such a big role in that time period, even if they were mostly as a foe to demonize to justify draconian laws.

Tonight I just finished Globalization Unto Death. I thought it would be about colonialism, but instead it was basically a few anecdotes from the age of exploration, focusing heavily on Magellan. Great stuff. And a concise show at that! He could have gone on for ages here but he really wrapped it up nicely.

I'm about to start Apache Tears now. I have high hopes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thwomp posted:

The second part of Inward Empire's Pinkerton Soldiers of Capital series is up now.

ohhh gently caress yeah

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well, not my favorite choice of topics. I hope its good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I'm actually excited for this because I just finished reading John Toland's "The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936–1945" so I'm on a big Pacific War mode now.

Well aren't you special.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In the first 40 minutes we've had a boxing analogy, Captain America and Captain Japan, another Marvel reference, and countries as liquors.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far. The intro is Dan talking about how culterially distinct Japan is, was during WW2, and has been for much of its history. I've often thought about this myself so I'm happy to have it gone over.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hiddenmovement posted:

God does this addiction analogy suck arse

It got a laugh out of me. The part about Teddy Roosevelt getting hooked on the imperialism juice. Wacky analogies are a key part of HH imo.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It not my preferred topic either but I'm also liking it.

Two of the topics I've suggested to Dan are Perry's Black Ships and the opening of Japan, and the Russo-Japanese war. He very quickly goes over both, while weaving them into a coherent narrative along with other stuff. Pretty effective I think.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Appoda posted:

Still killed me every time he said "Shogunite" tho.

Ack, same here.

I just finished it this morning. Good episode, a ton of stuff I didn't know. Looking forward to part 2.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Same here. Until recently, I thought the fascist culture of Japan and Germany just sort of "shattered" and everyone sort of broke free from that sort of hyper-militarism the second the treaties were signed. In Postwar, by Tony Judt, I learned that German society really broke down after the war. But it didn't break down the way Western countries hoped. A fair amount of the population still held strong Nazi beliefs, and a few attempts at de-nazification actually pushed more people towards Nazism. Then in the coming years and decades, everyone just tried to sweep it under the rug and tried ignoring that little part of history as they drank the consumerist koolade.

I really have no idea how post-war Japan society handled all this. It's gotta be wild living through the regime changes and vastly different societal structures that came with them. Semi unrelated but I found some old porcelain plates at an antique store and underneath them read "MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN". That had to be an uncomfortable reminder at the time.

I'm reading Postwar right now, real good.

And yeah the de-nazification stuff was interesting. In Germany it was lighter than in almost all other countries. It may have been imposed on Germany, except that Europe's economy after the war was in tatters, and it was clear that France in particular needed a functioning (west)Germany to recover. And since full de-nazification would have resulted in almost anyone of influence, and certainly anybody connected to industry, being purged, it simply wasn't done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

If that’s the case then I’m glad I got into Carlin as late as I did because I would have gone mad waiting for the WW1 series to slowly make its way out.

He said something about getting a few videos out in quick succession, but I wouldn't bet on it.