Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe there is some episode about Wilson that I'm missing, but in the most recent WW1 shows his message seemed to be that Wilson was a huge douchebag, but not overtly evil. He specifically runs down why the various "Wilson was an evil warhawk" stances were dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

adebisi lives posted:

Racist - Full Definition
1 :a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 :racial prejudice or discrimination

Can you provide evidence sam harris fits this bill other than he says mean things about islam, a multiracial religion?

WEH posted:

-in rigorously profiling anyone who looks vaguely “muslim”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ariza posted:

If you really believe that, you're a very dumb person and I feel sorry for your parents. If somehow you not knowing the difference between racism and bigotry or misogyny and sexism somehow makes me a pedo in your dumb brain, you should probably get off the internet more.
Racism and sexism are both subsets of bigotry. Misogyny is a subset of sexism and thus itself a subset of bigotry. All types of bigotry are wrong and reprehensible to civilized society for the same fundamental reason. Hating someone for their culture, religion, sex, or race are all indicators of a terrible unpleasant person.

adebisi lives posted:

So if Sam Harris advocates profiling "Islamic looking people" it's the same to you as him leaving a burning cross in some black guy's front yard?
No but it is still racist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I was checking out the History of China podcast and it seems as though half a dozen or so episodes are missing from the main site, itunes, and the rss feed. Where are they? Were those numbers just never occupies or did something happen to get them taken down?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So the pattern of posts was people discussing whether or not Duncan was pro-monarchy or at least anti-revolutionary. Icantfindaname then comments that he didn't seem to be particularly libertarian either, which was relevant because it is another anti-revolutionary ideology. It even came with a little disclaimer at the end where icant acknowledged libertarians weren't really pro-monarchy either, just anti-revolutionary. Then we have a few pages of people being angry at icant's sorta poorly worded first post, and instead of realizing he might need to explain icant decides that this is a clear sign that everyone in the thread is a libertarian. Is this what we've got here?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I have to also recommend the Myths and Legends podcast. It should probably be added to the OP given it's all about pulling tales form history and presenting them to a modern audience.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well Gran Columbia is going to be the next topic, and that's something I have next to no familiarity with. I'm not looking forward to the big break after that though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey man the lizardmen who rule the world worked really hard to make sure both major third party candidates could somehow be worse than both of the major first party candidates. You gotta respect that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Inward Empire's long time between releases is significantly more painful than Hardcore History's.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There appears to be a podcast called the History of China podcast as opposed to the thread recommended China History podcast. Is this similarly named but distinct podcast any good?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So speaking of true crime stuff. What is everyone's opinion on the Casefiles guy?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's the general vibe I got. He only really has two pet issues and neither of them really both me, those being not liking lenient sentences for violent crime and hating when people don't believe women who report violent crimes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Roland your post gave me severe whiplash.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They're fine, but there's no need to buy them through the promo. They're just normal razors at the department store but half the price of other razors.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Medieval Death Trip is pretty good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's Mark Twain in a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like from his podcast, it sure sounds like the French Revolution went through a lot of change with pretty minimal violence they got all the way through the Estates General and establishing a new elected government of France, but after a point there were basically coups masquerading as popular action to purge political enemies, and from that point on things spiraled away from democracy or any real increases in equality. Mike Duncan's also pretty clear in his statement that the war with Austria was in no way self-defense.
The Estates General literally had to arrest the king to keep him from pulling a Charles 1 of England. Threat of violence was necessary at every single point along the way to get any improvement whatsoever. In the French revolution but also all of the other revolutions violence against the establishment was always the inevitable consequence of the establishment refusing to change for any reason except violence. You'll notice in 1848 that all the countries that just gave people a constitution in good faith without a fight avoided Civil War. This does not justify any of cruelties committed by individual revolutionaries, but the revolution was wholly a force of the victim's own making. Same way every single bad thing that happened to the South in the American Civil War was of its own making. Well besides the North's failure to hang Jefferson Davis from a rope until dead, that was just Yankee cowardice.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is very good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Are there any decent Mexican history podcasts in English? I want something longform and dense if possible. Every one-off I hear on the topic seems to only cover the basics of Mesoamerican societies and/or conquistador atrocities.
The Fall of Civilizations podcast has an Aztecs episode that is a few hours long but might fall a bit to far into what you're not looking for.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I bounced off the show before but I'll give those Revolutions eps a try. I'm just hoping it's more than a White academic detailing how and when my ancestors got hosed.
I have some bad news for you about the demographics of podcasters and the history of Mexico.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everyone who is actually considering voting for Trump is already a dedicated cultist. So wouldn't that activity be better spent trying to get people to not give up on voting entirely?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just cannot imagine anyone who isn't EXTREMELY online caring and being mad about culture war stuff that much.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Have you ever heard of baby boomers and cable news?
Covered by giving up on people that deep into the cult.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People who both listen to the politics spin-off of a dad history podcast and watch Tucker are going to be very online. In fact they believe Trump will force their children to unblock them on facebook.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Japan specifically would have been very funny given Nicky's racism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

China didn't kill Puyi. All their issues came from people being needlessly aggressive toward him after he was made a normal citizen. And that was after he sided with the Japanese to reinstate a puppet monarchy in Manchuria.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

History of Egypt is very good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The passage in question. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't remember Duncan saying anything of the kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Medieval Death Trip could be added to the list