Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I also wasn’t that impressed with History of Literature. Good range but the discussion never felt that deep and there was something offputting about the dude’s up-and-down delivery.

Would recommend ‘Literature and History’ though. The host is maybe a little too much of a cheerfully earnest academic - I always skip the little acoustic guitar songs at the end - but he’s good on the cultural context for what he’s talking about and goes into some depth. The show started with Gilgamesh and is currently somewhere around episode 100, still working through late antiquity, so wouldn’t expect 17th c. lit anytime soon…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

It’s myth and legend rather than history but Candlelit Tale is quite good.

More from a historiographical angle, like the battles of Moytura never happened (unless you want to get fully into ‘the Fir Bolg represent this ethnic group, the Tuatha Dé represent this ethnic group’ which is questionable at best) but it’s valuable for looking at how Irish scholars/antiquarians from the early medieval period through to pretty much the 18th/19th century thought about Irish history.

Just generally good fun too, both the performances of the mythic pieces and the contextual discussions around them.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Same kind of loosely veiled bigotry argument you heard in the 60s-90s about Northern Ireland re: Protestants and granting rights to Catholics.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

In Our Time is still good but Melvyn Bragg does sound every one of his 84 years. Perfectly sharp and still getting amusingly mock-annoyed when a guest veers off-script, just audibly an elderly guy wheezing a bit.

Separately I’ve been enjoying some of the New Books Network podcasts: new books in history, in archaeology, etc. They’re all interviews with authors of just-published academic works so they often at least aware of the cutting edge and go into a lot of detail. It’s a real firehouse of content though, they seem to have hosts or representatives from all over, meaning that if you don’t narrow the focus, your feed pulls in a few eps each day.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

I like how Tides of History takes prehistory (including much of the Iron Age) on its own terms. He doesn’t throw up his hands at the lack of written documents and go oh well, nothing can possibly be known. He’s an archaeologist and when he talks about larger cultural or social trends in that language - state formation, ethnogenesis, the use of different food sources, adoption of new technologies - you can tell he gets it.

He’s also been very good on the larger debates re: aDNA, migration and indo-European stuff. Not being blinded by the potential and jumping to simplistic conclusions, like in the earlier days of archaeogenetics, but equally not dismissing it out of hand.

Agreed re: the interviews though. I quite like them but the ‘excited grad student talking to someone whose paper they liked’ vibes are strong.