Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm listening to Our Fake History and I'm really liking it. I find a lot of history podcasts too dry or overwhelming. Weirdly the only other history podcast I have gotten this obsessed with was fall of civilizations which is quite dry and very thorough to the point of overwhelm. I guess I don't have a lot of history knowledge and a bunch of bronze Age and early iron age history is very new to me. Anyway I'm nearly out of Our Fake History and I'm looking for something fun and conversational but maybe a bit more focused if that makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

because I'm a complete history noob I enjoyed the Bronze Age Collapse episode. Real great intro to both the series and a further exploration of antiquity for me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Im going to play some picross on the couch and probably take a nap to the new fall of civilizations gently caress yes what a beautiful gift for the kings birthday holiday

Ill have to listen to it properly but holy poo poo do i find his voice and the sound effects and music soothing

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Glumslinger posted:

I've been listening to Mythillogical recently I'm all about getting into the weeds. Yes, please spend 3 hours actually diving deeply into the native American myths that kinda vaguely talk about Big Foot

That episode owned and while it was way less succinct than their usual topics it was so incredibly thorough that it was absolutely worth it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Enjoying The Ancients lately and they cover a broad range of topics but the stuff about alexander the great is really engaging because you can tell its the hosts personal area of interest and im onto the persia conquest stuff and i wish i was mature enough to beable to stop thinking 'Bophanes nuts'

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i like his dumb little intros where he is having a red hot crack at wriring historical fiction

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the more i listen to tides of history the more it drives me mad that the more interesting the interview episodes are to paul the more he has to speed up the audio file and cut out gaps to cram the content in and theyre always the best interviews but it sounds fuckin weird

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

webmeister posted:

New episode of Fall of Civilizations is up, 3.5 hours on Carthage and the Phoenicians

bruh gently caress yeah

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

im actually interested in the ww1 america focused podcast just because they didnt even get a look in during my highschool modern history classes on it. tbf we didnt do much on the actual war either, just gallipoli and the usual 'write 500 words why ww1 happened' essay but i didnt even know the us were in the war until i got into ship hits the fan and they did a podcast on the lusitania

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Samovar posted:

There is the History of the 20th century, which is a pretty good all-rounder.

is it on spotify? i only come up with the gang of four album when i search

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

New fall of civilisations out, time to post in the "new fall of civilisations is out" thread

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Is he even an actual archaeologist? I remember a couple of episodes with archaeologist guests and they had the air of an informed layman asking questions of an expert. Regardless Patrick is great. I hate the wondery ads but not enough to use the Amazon music app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

He's a historian, not an archaeologist. He has familiarity with the field from reading extensively.

Yeah you can tell he has a huge amount of respect for the field and has read a lot about it but I appreciate it when he has archaeologist guests in even if sometimes it sounds like they are recording from a phone headphone mic. The prehistory season in particular had some great guests in to talk about early burial and pottery cultures and I appreciate the way he makes sure to stress both the limitations and benefits of analysing prehistory cultures via archaeological classifications. He has a similar appreciation of linguistic analysis where he makes it clear he isn't an expert but still presents some very good insights