Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

webmeister posted:

:perfect:

I’ve never actually watched the YouTube series, but the podcast usually has a tinge of melancholy about it. He’s always framing it as “imagine what it was like to be alive at the time, as a person who witnessed the end of their world”. He’s always incorporating local songs or poetry and the like, which gives it a really nice extra touch, and is one of the reasons I rate it so highly.

I’ve re-listened to the Aztec episode since arriving in Mexico a couple of weeks back, and it’s super depressing in places

I've only listened to the podcast but I absolutely love it for it. It was a bit too flowery for me at first but when I got used to it, it placed me in the shoes of someone there better than any other history podcast/book I've read. With the Aztec one I actually had to pause and reconsider finishing it because it was so melancholic, but I did in the end.

Tides of History does a similar sentimental thing in the intro, where it kind of shows a "possible past". I really love that sort of thing even while acknowledging it may be inaccurate. I wish there were more things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

Listening to Blowback Season 3 at work, on Ep 5.

Lmao, just lmao the tankies were right again.

Never heard of the podcast, but I assume if you're on season 3 then the first two were good and accurate?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I'm on episode 6 of the first (Iraq) season. The jovial tone is enough to make me listen with a grain of salt anyway.

I'll see what I think when I reach season 3 (I'll probably skip the second) but I listened to the Korean War season of When Diplomacy Fails so I'm already well-versed in listening to not-exactly-mainstream takes on that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I second the Sumerians and Aztec. The Aztec in particular I found to be so sad for some reason that I had to pause for a while and come back to it, and it's rare that a piece of media has that effect on me.

I don't think it's dry at all, but maybe I'm used to it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Danger posted:

I definitely wouldn’t call the tone “jovial”. Just listened to the episode on the US marines and officers massacring fleeing refugees and assassinating thousands of political prisoners, photographed for posterity that would compare the images to that of the Nazi holocaust. It was pretty somber. The western media narrative was that the KPA did the massacring until it was finally declassified in the late 90s that it was explicitly Americans who did it in a coordinated extermination.

Jovial was definitely the wrong word, but it does have a joking/less serious tone at times which helps me accept that they're not trying to be The Objective History.

I finished the Iraq season and started the Korean one. Oddly little mention of the USSR but I assume that starts in later episodes.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I bought the third season. They don't mention anything about it, so possibly not?

Currently three-quarters into the third episode. I don't want to revive the previous decision but if there's any moment where the podcast feels like "AMERICA BAD, EVERYONE ELSE GOOD" it's this one.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I tried Revolutions but it's usually a bit too in-depth and dry for my tastes. I did finish the Haitian Revolution and loved it, but it was such an interesting story. Couldn't get past like 15 episodes of the French or South American ones.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

The Haitian Revolution series hit me hard, tbh. It's just so sad because they had a good thing going for a bit but they got royally screwed by literally all other external forces, and that combined with the unavoidable post revolution inner squabbles hosed it up so completely that they're screwed for all eternity.

On another note, I didn't see it mentioned but Tides if History started another season, this time on the Iron Age. The previous season was fantastic in my uneducated opinion.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the first interview as well (enough that I bought the book of the interviewee) but it's still more of an intro than anything. Future episodes might be quite different.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know about any asterisks but I concur with the others in that the first two-thirds or so of the pre/early history season were stellar.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i like his dumb little intros where he is having a red hot crack at wriring historical fiction

I unironically would listen to a podcast of that, every time in a different period.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Thwomp posted:

I just caught up with Fiasco’s AIDS season and…just wow. Unbelievably compelling.

I don’t know how long it’s been made available outside Audible but I got it on Apple Podcasts just fine.

Listened to it after seeing this, thanks for the rec. It was good and educational since I didn't really know much about the AIDS crisis since it was "over" by the time I was a teen.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

What the gently caress.

My blowback subscription expired last week. I'll wait for impressions to decide if to renew. I didn't finish the Korea season because, and I really hate to say this, it felt just like it's being contrarian for the sake of it - going 100% on AMERICA EVIL with some tankie vibes.

I'm as much of a cynic as anyone, and I don't have any warm feelings towards America (I don't live there) but it seemed like it was passing some threshold that I found hard to take seriously.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

COPE 27 posted:

How would one describe the Korean war without portraying the US as 100% evil?

I'll be honest, I don't remember the podcast well enough to get into the weeds and I'm certainly not an expert (I listened to the WDF podcast which as said had an I common take).

What I generally mean is there is a difference between portraying evil actions and someone doing stuff just cuz "they're evil". I can't be specific but that's what I remember feeling like when I listened to the Korean war season specifically, like it's not really an objective reading of the history but a reading by someone who is ANGRY.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I finished the new season of Blowback. It was a lot to take in and other than the fact I enjoy listening I don't really know what to say about it.

One thing I didn't get was what point they were trying to make on Ukraine at the end? It felt like just a general "really makes you think, huh?" which is out of place.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is it on spotify? i only come up with the gang of four album when i search

You have to search for "twentieth" literally. Some future we're living in.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I started listening to the History of the 20th Century podcast. It can be a bit basic or simple and covers a lot of topics I'm already familiar with, but it is presented in a very organised and interesting way. I'm binging it like I would a thriller series, gotta know what'll happen in this strange world (don't spoil!).

I reached the Russo-Japanese war and it has an into from the When Diplomacy Fails guy and I guess they have a couple of episodes on the same topic. I wanna listen to it too but I'm not sure if I want to listen to two podcasts about the same topic, even though WDF can take a very different angle sometimes.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I believe it's also available on Amazon Music or however they call that service.

The prehistory series is amazing. I fell off it in the sequel series about the iron age and so on, only listening to an episode here and there. I also love the fictional stories he tells to set the scene at the beginning of each episode.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Some episodes of Fall of Civilizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Revolutions covers the various French revolutions in great detail, though not all of French history. It can be a bit monotone but it's decent.