Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Based on his One Year Later update image, I'd say French and Mexican Revolutions are definitely on the list.

Beyond those, you've got Mao's Communist Revolution, the Russian Revolution, and the Haitian Revolution right off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

I just watched the video that Mike Duncan of Revolutions did about the "Shot Heard Round the World" and really enjoyed it. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar youtube channels that have that same kind of fast paced informative video?

I've only just recently discovered youtube channels but these fit the bill (in decreasing order of speed but they're all really fast paced):

CGP Grey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10
MinutePhysics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4tJr7sMPM
Mental Floss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYy7dmAnM8
CrashCourse (the two history series, literature, and psychology are all well done. The chemistry/science didn't grab me the same way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PszVWZNWVA

Edit: added examples.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 1, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You could argue that the political revolution took place with the declaration of independence and the formation of a true continental government. Beyond that, the politics of the early continental government involved finding allies to win independence and keeping everything running until the fight was won.

But I enjoy the escapades of Franklin in France and Adams out in Europe as much as anyone and I'd love to see Revolutions dive deep into the diplomatic side. However, from a revolution perspective, the great change has taken place and now Duncan's got to cover the fight to secure it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Eggie posted:

I like the idea of history podcasts but this Hardcore History sounds way too dense for me. I'd like a more abridged history podcast. I'm not really deep into podcasts so I don't know where to look for something like that. Wondering if anyone could help me.

You may want to try out Revolutions which is one of the current favorites around here. It's multi-episode but really casual.

Also, if you want bite-sized history videos, Crash Course World/US History is on YouTube and is nicely produced.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I, personally, don't find his voice abrasive but I could see it being too nasally and high pitched for some people.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I think he has to keep reiterating how different the trench warfare was during WWI because it was so completely different from every war before and since.

It's hard to imagine that many artillery shells being fired and going off continuously. He tells of soldiers describing it in the trench as the roar of the ocean but louder. I still can't really imagine those calibers being fired continuously for days on end.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just chiming in to say not that there's a new Hardcore History out (which there isn't) but that The Ancient World podcast mentioned on the last page is actually quite good.

The host apes some of Mike Duncan's style and, while he doesn't quite nail Duncan's sense of humor, it's close enough and infrequent enough that it's okay. The information is good and a nice eye opener, especially on some lesser known civilizations like the Mittani and the Assyrians.

After he hits 500BC, he does a quick overview of the next century or so of history for those civilizations still kicking around. Then the podcast moves onto a new phase where he recounts the discoveries of significant artifacts that provided the keys to unlock a lot of this ancient history (The Rosetta Stone, etc). Cool stuff.

Edit: poo poo, it wasn't mentioned in this thread so who knows where I got the recommendation from. However, anyone with an interest in the really ancient civilizations should definitely check it out.

He starts with the beginnings of civilization and intended to keep a world focus (checking in on developing civs in East Asia and the Americas in addition to the near east). And there's some of that to begin with.

However, late in the podcast he apologizes for slowly focusing more heavily on the Near East as the podcast rolled on. His excuse is that there's essentially very little recovered written records to go on outside Mesopotamia. So it's hard to go through ancient China or ancient Peruvian civs when all you've got is the archaeological record and some scattered pottery/ruins.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 10, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Wrath of the Khans stands tall for no other reason than I don't think most people, even history buffs, have much more knowledge of the Mongols other than "conquered China, made it to Russia, petered out".

Carlin does a great job of relating the damage the Mongol invasion of Persia did to the Islamic world. In school, you may (or may not) have touched on Islam's rise and how it contributed to European knowledge along with sparking the Crusades and the Renaissance with the fall of Constantinople.

But then there's nothing really as it's just "Islam continues in the form of the Ottomans until WW1." The whole history of the Middle East and Islamic culture changed when the Mongols tore up Persia and Baghdad.

But you don't learn that in US schools because you're too busy trying to keep track of all the Henrys in England.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Rerail:

I think The History of Byzantium (iTunes link) podcast should get a look by anyone who enjoyed The History of Rome.

I started listening to it a month ago and it really is fantastic. It's less conversational than Mike Duncan's podcasts but still just as informative, entertaining, and involving.

The first 10 episodes ape The History of Rome format quite a bit but it starts to do its own thing to include specifics on how the Byzantine Roman state worked and the landscape of the Empire (specifically, how it all differed from what we might usually think of how the classical Roman state operated). It really picks up with Justinian and then abandons the HoR format all together.

An especially nice innovation is a series of retrospective episodes at the end of each century just to look how the Empire has changed over the last hundred years of the narrative along with answers to listener questions. I think most history buffs are familiar with how the ancient Roman republic/empire operated but much less so with the later medieval Roman state. The retrospective episodes help with this (and honestly, the walking tours and common man episodes of HoR were among my favorites).

So check it out. It's definitely become a worth successor.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Over the last two years, I've gone from really only listening to podcasts occasionally (subscribed to one or two) to so many I had to open my podcast app to count them all. gently caress this thread for adding one more (Whistlestop).

thank you thread

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

hiddenmovement posted:

A lot of these podcasts are really dry in their delivery, but You Must Remember This is really fantastic. Her delivery is top notch and the production value is superb.

I like You Must Remember This a lot but I found her "Star Wars" series to be a bit dull. A few episodes are good listens if you have an interest in those stars but some others were just a bit of a slog.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Real Quaid posted:

History boys: What's your opinion on The History of Byzantium podcast- good/poo poo? Only listened to 1 ep so far, it sounded like a really corny flamboyant dad telling a scary bedtime story to a kid- seriously hokey and affected, I didn't enjoy the style at all. I liked 12 Byzantine Rulers & the History of Rome so was really hoping this would be good.

I like it. I'd give it through Justinian's reign to see if it is really for you. That's where his style begins to really diverge from Duncan's.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really liked the Lesser Bonapartes' material; it was the presenters I couldn't stand.

I liked the more level-headed presenter. The one with a lisp (I don't mind the lisp but it's identifiable) is pretty insufferable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Quick! I need a count of the number of boxing analogies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You Must Remember This is back with a new season long subject: The Blacklist.

I thought her last series on MGM was good if a little direction-less. I really enjoyed the season before that (Manson) so I hope the new series on the Blacklist returns to a more focused style.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wonder what happened to it, Invisibilia's social media accounts finally started going again and the show will be back in June.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
But it's hampered by the terrible quality of the actual recordings of Reagan's actual speeches.

I thought it was just the radio chatter from the first part but it sounds like he's recording a YouTube clip with his phone.

Still good though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

The History of Byzantium Podcast says they'll have a Very Special Guest for the 100th episode.

Will it be Mike Duncan? It seems like Robin was searching for his blessing since he started the project.

It's Mike Duncan.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, the editing on the latest Reagan episode of My History Can Beat Up Your Politics is really rough. Jesus.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I really tried to keep an open mind during that interview. Forming your own bubble of information is a real thing. So I agreed with Ezra's opening point that while Norquist is certainly controversial, he's a huge player in DC and understanding his motivations is something worthwhile.

But the dude's motivations are bonkers and he's clearly stuck in the 80s. Well, his rationales are stuck there. Communists! Unions! Reagan! Deregulation! All Democrats are owned! Like, :wtf:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely history in the vein of Hardcore History, just with an Italian accent.

I think his Iceman episode might be his best so far. Try that one in full and see if it's for you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I figure this is probably the best place to ask: What's the best option for an episode of a history podcast that covers the history of the NRA? Specifically I want to know the finer details of how they came to be such a powerful organization.

Not a podcast but Frontline has an excellent episode on the history of the NRA.

You can watch it here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Invisibilia is finally back. They've added another co-host and are focusing on wider invisible forces that affect behavior (instead of the internal invisible forces that drive behvaior).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else feeling worn out with History on Fire's Crazy Horse series?

Crazy Horse was a cool dude and definitely worth covering in-depth but the narrator's narrative feels really stretched out and thin.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
His podcasts are super uneven. It's not limited to his more current events episodes either. A couple of his Dozen Ronald Reagan episodes are really badly mixed/edited.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whoops. Part 7 of Carlson's Reagan series was accidentally updated with part 1.

Sometimes I think about dropping My History Can Beat Up Your Politics because of these kind of Bush league mistakes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Maduo posted:

Italy, apparently. In that context it's a lot less insane than rotinaj put it but it's also silly to yell about first amendment rights in a country that doesn't have the first amendment.

Again, Silver's answer was more about answering "what do you think about doing something like Italy has (restricting polling 3 weeks prior to an election) here in the US". So while Silver's right (that it would be a restriction of 1st amendment rights), I think a lot of journalists (rightly or wrongly) tend to be super touchy about their 1st amendment rights almost reflexively.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

I think a big part of it not getting much contemporary recognition is that Haiti's story doesn't really have a happy ending

But neither does the French Revolution.

Because it has less effect on United States/Western European history and it just does not get the focus it deserves.

The same for Bolivar (and really, all of Central and South American history). It still blows my mind that the Spanish Empire, the thing kicked off by Christopher Columbus, lasted all the way into the early-19th Century. I still catch myself occasionally thinking of Spain and going "When did that place go to poo poo?" and then remember that they were still a thing (if declining) when Thomas Jefferson was President.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheLoquid posted:

If you're a Rome nerd, I'd recommend the Fall of Rome Podcast. It's by a guy with a PhD in the late Roman history and it's super cool if you like 4th/5th century history.

But why would a PhD in 4th/5th century history assist you for a podcast regarding 15th century history?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else listen to the new season of Revisionist History?

The overall theme is race and power relationships in the 50s era South. I've found it really insightful.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
New Inward Empire is up and it’s about the Pinkerton police force used to break up strikes in the late-19th century!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you haven’t already caught it, Slow Burn about Watergate/Nixon’s fall is excellent. Equal parts terrifying and gratifying.

It’s only 8 episodes (9 if you include a bonus episode) and just finished this week so you can binge the whole thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/slow-burn-a-podcast-about-watergate/id1315040130?mt=2

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone know if there are any podcasts that cover interesting topics in prehistory? The Cambrian explosion, a timeline of dinosaur life, early man's evolution and survival. Anything along those lines, really. A sort of History of Rome kind of look at any of the major eras of life on the planet. Everything I'm finding is more of a biological view of things than an historical look. While breaking down dinosaurs species by species is great, too, I'd love something more overarching and timeline-based.

It's not a podcast but the Eons channel on YouTube focuses on some of what you're looking for.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The second part of Inward Empire's Pinkerton Soldiers of Capital series is up now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get the criticisms of it being too slow. It's fair given how byzantize :dadjoke: some of the issues Rome faces during its medieval period.

However, it's definitely worth listening to.

If you're into a narrative, perhaps wait until the podcast is finished up (or nearly so). Then you can binge through those and skip the end of the century roundups he does.

(Personally, I find the end of the century roundups fascinating if only just to see how much this society changed over time. Hearing about how dense and crazy Constantinople is during Justinian's time versus later centuries when just massive parts of it are empty is amazing.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think the answer is “it’s complicated.”

It’s complicated because most histories of Islam present the traditional story of Muhammad’s rise as fact.

Since there are so few other sources from that time, it’s hard to dispute or present another version with accuracy.

Speaking of, if you start looking for a more historically accurate narrative based on primary sources, you can quickly slip into islamophobic territory.

It’s a very much “there be racist dragons here” sort of search. Be wary and conscious of the sources being used.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you're enjoying the last couple episodes of Inward Empire, I binged through the podcast that the host recommended at the end of the last episode -- Shadows of Utopia -- and it's really good. It's a Khmer/Cambodian history podcast that touches on a lot of the corners that this thread seems to appreciate;

This was great and I love the deep dive format. Don’t sleep on this one.

I will say the last couple of episodes had some....stuttering....or......pausing.......delivery that got better after a bit. That’s the only knock against it I can give.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There’s a new “In the Shadows of Utopia” episode up and the host cops to being addicted to context which is hilarious.

However, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I’m learning all sorts of new stuff about southeast Asian history. This is the kind of good tangent (for the bad kind, see most of the tangents Carlin goes off on now that, while interesting, don’t fully relate to the topic at hand).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In the Shadows of Utopia might be good for you, although it has yet to actually reach the subject of its podcast: the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny that his early Revolutions episodes, while fine (and some are good to great) are a lot like his early History of Rome episodes: covering a lot of traditionally trodden ground the traditional way only to expand significantly as he goes on.