Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just checked my phone and it stopped downloading it with 184mb left to go (which appears to be about 75% done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

For all the apologizing he does over mispronounced words you would think he would just look up them up and have the phonetic pronunciations sitting in front of him.

I took a few years from listening to HH and just recently rediscovered it thanks to this thread. I'm really glad I did.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

On The Dollop I'm listening to The Rube right now. Holy poo poo go listen to that, even if you don't like baseball.

If you glossed over this poster's direction you should remedy that right away. Holy crap.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Dollop is great, but I'm starting to feel like it's a little repetitive.

Dave: "...And then they did this stupid thing."

Gary: "Jesus Christ. I mean, what the gently caress!? These people are idiots."

Dave: "And then in 1949..."

Gann Jerrod posted:

I also listened to the history of pools episode, which I didn't like as much because they kept using the same joke of a gay guy wanting to see naked boys.

This episode really annoyed me. 90% of the episode is just them talking about how absurd it is that boys were swimming around naked. Is it that weird that cultural norms on nudity were different back then? It's not any different than locker rooms are right now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm really glad I finally clicked on that instead of just reading excerpts. It would be great if Dan records himself reading it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/824091733642256386

Looks like we will be getting a new Hardcore History

I'm surprised Dan is already doing an episode about Trump.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

rotinaj posted:

holy poo poo does it take forever to not say anything)

I've been listening to a lot of historical audiobooks lately and it was quite jarring to go back to the last HH episode where every new event must be accompanied by five minutes of explanation of how exactly each person must have felt.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

bollig posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but are there some good 20ish minute run downs of the news? My sister is looking for something around that length that will give her an idea of what's going on in the US and also in the world.

I've heard Up First advertised on other NPR podcasts and it sounded promising:
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510318/up-first

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Deadite posted:

If anyone listens to The Trail Went Cold, can you tell me if the host every gets better at being a host? The content is interesting but this guy’s lack of radio voice is really grating.

It’s like a podcast hosted by Emo Phillips’ Canadian cousin who smacks his lips between each sentence.

I am starting from the very beginning, so I am still in the 2016 episodes

I think it improves after the first early episodes, although I couldn't pin a date down. He still says "and then... The trail.. Went cold." in a dumb way, but that's pretty minor. I agree that he's overly fixated with Unsolved Mysteries cases as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thwomp posted:

The second part of Inward Empire's Pinkerton Soldiers of Capital series is up now.

Is this the final part? I've been waiting for the whole thing to drop before I listen.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Fooge posted:

I just discovered Omnibus with Ken Jennings and John Roderick. It's a general knowledge informational podcast, and they have a really good patter; I'd recommend if you like either of those two hours. About four episodes in, and really enjoying it so far. There's like a 130 hr backlog, to boot

Yea, Omnibus is great. One of the only Podcasts I always bring to the top of the queue. I've actually been mostly on a break from podcasts for a bit since I have quite a few history related audiobooks (Oh hey, I just discovered there's a history book thread!), but Omnibus is the only Podcast I'm not backlogged on.

You won't be disappointed in the backlog. There's maybe half a dozen duds in there, but almost all of them are good to great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

C-Euro posted:

It was just the most stereotypical over-the-top British accent I've ever heard, even considering people I've heard mocking that type of accent. It was a good episode but I thought the guy was doing a bit at first.

I had to go look that guy up on Youtube to see what you were talking about. Odd voice indeed.