Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Even though I had awareness of the vague shot going on in Korea, and it perfectly mirrors how the west just rebranded Nazis as the EU and NATO, still mouth agape at the first half of Blow Back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The creation of the 38th parallel is nuts. Two dudes who never looked at a map were due to submit the boundary the next day so they did it at the last minute with a National Geographic mag.

Also like 100,000 Koreans had been killed by the southern occupation force well before the start of the war.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Vinny Possum posted:

Anyone got recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Tom O Neil’s Chaos had a great audio version.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Just putting Allen Dulles in charge of the investigation.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

kiminewt posted:

I'm on episode 6 of the first (Iraq) season. The jovial tone is enough to make me listen with a grain of salt anyway.

I'll see what I think when I reach season 3 (I'll probably skip the second) but I listened to the Korean War season of When Diplomacy Fails so I'm already well-versed in listening to not-exactly-mainstream takes on that.

I definitely wouldn’t call the tone “jovial”. Just listened to the episode on the US marines and officers massacring fleeing refugees and assassinating thousands of political prisoners, photographed for posterity that would compare the images to that of the Nazi holocaust. It was pretty somber. The western media narrative was that the KPA did the massacring until it was finally declassified in the late 90s that it was explicitly Americans who did it in a coordinated extermination.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ready

https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/1693685917662212271?s=46

Edit: lol if you want it to embed you have to manually change the cops link from x.com to Twitter.com

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

kiminewt posted:

I'll be honest, I don't remember the podcast well enough to get into the weeds and I'm certainly not an expert (I listened to the WDF podcast which as said had an I common take).

What I generally mean is there is a difference between portraying evil actions and someone doing stuff just cuz "they're evil". I can't be specific but that's what I remember feeling like when I listened to the Korean war season specifically, like it's not really an objective reading of the history but a reading by someone who is ANGRY.

There is no such thing as objective history and you should be incredibly skeptical of someone claiming otherwise.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Blowback made a pretty prolonged argument that the Soviets did not at all think that they would “steamroll” Afghanistan. Brzezinski openly bragged about luring the Soviets in and purposefully doing everything possible to prolong the invasion even as the Soviets were desperate for a way out.

Pretty sure that’s the comparison to Ukraine.

Danger fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Count Roland posted:

This might be a tangent, but did they go into how Brzezinski lured them in? I've seen this claim before but no evidence or detail was provided as to how this was done.

By illegally arming the mujihadeen and supporting other sectarian violence against the government.

Danger fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 15, 2023