Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

radlum posted:

Does Carlin’s podcast get better? I started listening to the first of his Roman Republic episode and between the 1 minute opening and the 5 minutes talk about ambition I got bored. I’ll give him a chance, but I certainly hope the rest of the episode is about actual history (yeah, I guess Roman families were ambitious, but he sounded so over the top that it got annoying)

At the risk of arousing ire from the thread, Carlin's schtick is melodrama. He presents all of his material in that manner, so if you weren't on board within those five minutes, I don't know that the podcast is for you. I lasted about 30 minutes into one of his podcasts before conceding for the same reason. I appreciate his style, but it's definitely not for me.

nerdpony posted:

Footnoting History - Episodes usually run around 15 minutes and come out weekly. Probably my absolute favorite history podcast at the moment. Graduate students and early career historians discuss small topics they've discovered in their research that they find interesting -- topics include lepers and leprosy in the 13th century, the defenestration of Prague, running in the ancient Olympic games, a brief history of dieting, and the Native American (re-)occupation of Alcatraz, to name a few. They do a great job of giving succinct yet very informative introductions to the topics and always have excellent and extensive introductions to further reading. As a historian myself, I think that stuff like this is exactly what the discipline needs to stay relevant, particularly to non-historians.

Thanks for this recommendation. I love seeing the field engage with new media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Beeez posted:

This is why I've never listened to a whole episode of his podcasts, hopefully if I try again I'll have a similar experience to you guys. Because when I tried listening to him he reminded me of Alex Jones.

Yeah, I've tried on countless occasions to get into Dan Carlin, but I cannot stand his presentation. He could be reading a history book that I know and love and I would immediately question everything he's saying based on his intonation.