Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can never be miffed by the slow pace of Hardcore History because when they do come out they are loving amazing and pretty much make my commute to work that week a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How often does Dan release his podcasts once he starts a series? I'm new to Hardcore History and I really want to know when the next part of this series will drop.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've never listened to Dan's 'Common Sense' podcast, but if it's anything like the Enigma Force Five then I've definitely got to try it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Antti posted:

He's also going to drat the torpedoes, discard the 15 episode per revolution format and take all the time he needs to cover the French Revolution!

And that we might get to Napoleon by Christmas, which is fantastic. I love history podcasts :allears:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I never expected to be emotionally moved while listening to a podcast but honestly when Dan read that letter from the guy on the front at the Somme to his wife and infant daughter I did tear up. You listen to hours of how utterly horrifying the world was at that place and point in time and then you hear something so deeply humanizing and dang does it hurt.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Random Stranger posted:

I'm kind of hoping he does something on the Taiping Rebellion since it's fascinating as a failed revolution.

This is exactly what I was about to post. The Taiping Rebellion is loving batshit insane from beginning to end, and millions of people died. I kind of feel that if he doesn't cover it he's making a huge mistake.

e: Also, anybody whose interest is piqued by the idea of the Taiping Rebellion or read the wiki and thought it was loving nutso; read the book Flashman and the Dragon, which is a really excellent historical fiction novel that takes place during that period.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Maduo posted:

I can't imagine him glossing over Skyes-Picot considering what an effect that has had on the modern world. That's the kind of present day connection I imagine Carlin loves.

Yeah I could see like half an episode devoted to Skyes-Picot.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Mike Duncan is like a boxer.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm excited for the Haitian revolution because I know next to nothing about it, much like the English revolution. The American and French were ok but I was also just kind of waiting for them to end.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mike12345 posted:

He really should do a cooking show.

Alright, this inspired me, in the name of procrastinating at work, to look up some recipes and read the instructions in Dan's 'quote reading' voice.

quote:

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Add onion, bacon, and cheese and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, pour into crust, and bake until center of quiche is just set, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I think I'm an idiot but I'm cracking up in my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Uh... somehow my subscription to the Revolutions podcast got messed up in my Apple podcasts app, and it seems to have...merged? with another podcast called Juicing Radio, which looks to be all about juice cleanses.

So I've got an episode about The Third Comission in the Haitian revolution sitting next to an episode called "Part 3 Charlie Bruno on life after a 300 day juice only fast".

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?