Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. It was probably my favourite HH thus far. I really can't see why Dan himself hated it so much. Someone should really make a film of that story, I'd watch it.

He didn't hate it, he was just not happy with the fact that he had to use so few sources because of the language barrier, while knowing there are hundreds of books in German which might show a different, more researched and complete picture (and there are indeed hundreds of books, maybe thousands, on the topic in German. I have read only a few and couldn't find fault with Dan's portrayal of the Reformation/Counter-Reformation, although with access to the German sources he could and probably would have made it into a 5 part series - fascinating stuff after all*). Not being happy with having to work with incomplete source material is pretty understandable for a guy who puts tons of work and research in every topic.

*Just to think that the area where I live - deeply, deeply Catholic - was Protestant/Peasant revolt heartland 400 years ago, until Hapsburg severely and extremely savagely counter-Reformed the whole area until nobody Non-Catholic was not only no longer alive, there aren't even any traces left of Protestantism. Even nowadays we have more Muslims living here than Protestants, no Protestant churches, no infrastructure, nothing.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU