Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
History of Rome really does turn in to a 'great people' centered thing during the decline, but it is hard to blame him since that's what the sources cover for the most part. It does cover interesting people that weren't emporers well though. I finished it last week finally and overall it was an excellent way to spend the commute and a couple plane rides for a few months.

I'm listening to History of Alexander the Great right now. It seems decent after one and a half episodes and it is fairly short so I'd probably finish it anyway. The guy doesn't do quite as good of a job as Duncan did of offering alternate theories and pointing out when something is almost certainly mythical, but I'm hoping once we get away from the Alexander the Great 'foundation story' type stuff that'll get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm about halfway through History of Alexander the Great now, and he does a much better job of separating fact from probable fiction as it goes on, so that fear is assuaged. The audio quality seems to have gotten a lot better in the last couple episodes I listened to, but the first few are rough. Besides that, if you can deal with his accent and him pausing right before every time he says a name he isn't sure how to pronounce, you should give it a shot. And get to at least the beginning of the campaign in Persia before you judge it too harshly, things picked up quite a bit there. I see he has a Hannibal podcast also, which I'll gladly put in the queue after I finish this one and Carlin's Hannibal one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I've only listened to 3 episodes of Common Sense (it's pretty 'current events' so going back much further didn't seem to make sense) but it's definitely a different, intellectually honest point of view he argues from, which is what makes it entertaining. I agree with a lot of what he says too. Definitely a good podcast in my opinion.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

rypakal posted:

My problem with Dan isn't necessarily his ideas. It's that he sounds like Glenn Beck and Jesse Ventura.

Listen up folks

I've probably listened to less than an hour of political talk radio combined in my life so that sort of thing I wouldn't even notice. He does occasionally sound like he is about to launch into a lizard people theory, but that's part of the charm.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
From how he originally described the layout for the series (which of course could change) he was going to have 16 episodes per revolution, so we'd have 4 more to go. The military actions of the war are basically over, and I suppose we could make it all the way to the Convention, but I doubt it'd get more than an episode since there's so much left between where it is now (1781), when the treaty was actually signed (1783) and the Convention (1787.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Possibly try some of the one-off episodes of hardcore history. The multi-parters are pretty dense some times (I like it, I can see how some wouldn't) but the single episodes cover pretty major events in an hour or two.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I actually felt the same way about Carlin at first. At the time the only podcast I'd ever listened to was the first half or so of The History of Rome so when I went from that to Carlin's Death of the Republic it was a huge difference and I just didn't like it. He sounded like a crazy person raving. I listened to like 10 minutes, gave up, and a couple months later once I finished Rome and needed something to listen to I tried again. After the first hour or so I guess I just adjusted, because now I listen to all his podcasts and love them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The British History Podcast starts way before then but does cover that era (or I should say is covering that era.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
According to Carlins Facebook Armageddon 5 will be out today or early tomorrow, and is 'long as hell.'

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, I heavily recommend Ghosts if you like Carlin at all. It's fantastic.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kurtofan posted:

Is Mike Duncan an historian?

That's a question of semantics, but he is thorough enough in his sourcing that information he gives is generally reliable, so I'd say yes.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
About halfway through the Dollop about Comstock and its entertaining. Definitely not a thorough take on the subject but it's fun to listen to.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
On The Dollop I'm listening to The Rube right now. Holy poo poo go listen to that, even if you don't like baseball.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I made my wife listen to it and she lost her poo poo at the firetruck stuff. Possibly the most entertaining hour of podcasting that exists.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't find the Cereal Men episode in the feed. When did it come out?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Thanks! The end of the title was getting cut off.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just listened to two episodes of The Lesser Bonapartes (Martin Luther and Alcibiades) and... does co-host get better as things go along? His audio quality is pretty bad (pretty sure he's calling in) and his delivery is rough. I'll stick it out if it improves later because I like the idea of the podcast, but it was tough to make it through the Luther one.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The English was a little dry because he was trying to hold himself to a specific number of episodes, but overall I didn't know much about the time period and liked it quite a bit. Not as much as his other series though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mojo Threepwood posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Haitian Revolution episodes so far? I've been enjoying them, Mike is at his usual levels of excellence and thoroughness. I'm glad he picked a lesser known revolution as I'm learning a lot and the smaller geographic scope of the island makes the story easy to follow without needing to check maps. So far this is my second favorite Revolutions series, I'm not sure it will top the French series but it is too soon to tell.

I'm really liking them. Time will tell but so far I actually like it more than the French Revolution since there are fewer factions and players to keep straight. I got pretty confused at points during last series and had to relisten a couple times to get things straight.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Philosophize This! did an episode on Marxism a couple weeks ago (the host puts it out early that he is a Marxist), an episode on the popular attacks on Marxism last week, and somehow Adam Carolla is going to be on an episode next week to stump for Capitalism.

Kinda weird

That's going to be a poo poo show if the host is at all educated.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

modestmusashi posted:

Started Hardcore History, the Blueprint for Armageddon series. My only complaint is that Carlin's accent reminds me of Alex Jones.

He definitely has that tenor to his voice but you get used to it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uPen posted:

It was a good episode, best episode is still the one about the Anabaptists taking over a town.

Yeah have to agree. That one was long enough ago that it isn't really sad anymore (Ostrofront) but not so long ago that it seems ancient, and was insane enough to be entertaining instead of just dreary.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The newest HH finally did get good but holy poo poo could the first three hours have been 45 minutes.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
For Tides of History is there any narrative or rhyme or reason as to the order of the episodes? Or should I just pick the ones that seem like an interesting topic and listen to them that way?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PittTheElder posted:

They're in rough chronological order within the seasons, with great big time jumps between the seasons.

Ah, the Apple podcast app doesn’t have them separated into seasons so it looked like a giant mishmash to me. I guess the wonderly thing does? Spotify doesn’t seem to either.

I’m extremely interested in prehistory so I’ll do whatever I’ve got to to get some good content, just wondering if there’s a preferred spot to jump in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Glumslinger posted:

Has Mike Duncan said what he is planning to do next? Another book? Podcast series?

Last I heard he was trying to get a Marques de Lafayette TV series made. If I understood right it would be a drama, not a documentary.