Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really do like Skeptoid a lot, though sometimes I wish it was longer. His Jack the Ripper episode I think could've done with being double the length because there's a lot of interesting things to go through there. He does pack a surprising amount of information into 15 minutes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I love when Skeptoid does listener feedback because it's so easy to dismiss. Plus Dunning does a really good job of explaining how someone should look at evidence (Which is basically "Actually look at all the evidence, properly, and don't discount it because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived ideas"). It sounds so simple but...well if it was there wouldn't be conspiracy theories.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I dunno Dunning tells a different sort of story on the website. He suggests there's 'ample' evidence that ebay knew what was up and the money he allegedly earned was greatly exaggerated but I guess it'll come out soon enough.

It's a shame if it all goes down because Skeptoid has been incredibly useful and, smug tone aside, there isn't really any other podcasts that do what he's doing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Allan Assiduity posted:

They're referring to the armed guard, presumably. Not the best metaphor in the world.

I unsubscribed from Skeptoid as soon as I heard about what he was doing - it's one thing to shill for money, it's another to do it when you're making plenty. I don't even mind donating if it's purely in a "can we make it easier for me to do what I do" sense, but to make that level of money and shill seems really greedy.

Yeah but the amount made seems to differ wildly depending on who's doing the telling. Dunning says the whole thing is grossly overestimated and that they can prove that. I'm still a subscriber, but because it's so early in the game who really knows what's going to come out. Regardless I imagine there's some very very smug people out there right now who'll use it as a way to discredit any and all Skeptoid arguments.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

History of Rome is a good one if you don't like what Carlin is doing. The episodes don't usually run longer than 20 minutes and as the title suggests it covers everything.