Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Having just finished my second run-through, I think it's fitting that the History of Rome podcast peters out the way that it does, because I think it tonally simulates the decline of the empire. It really imparts a sense of melancholy sor something that had been so vigorous

As a dude who has studied a lot Chinese history, I really didn't like "The Chinese History Podcast" (which I think people have been referring to as The History of China) . The host just irks me and I recall thinking that his scholarship wasn't up to snuff. And he's really into Communist era stuff, which I find to be the least interesting part. But that's just me, and I admittedly stopped early

A Short History of Japan was really good but the dude hasn't updated in a year

Anyway, I just downloaded "The History of China" and "History of Japan." Haven't listened to the former yet. The latter seems OK so far except that the host's way of speaking drives me kinda nuts

\/Ok, yeah that's the one I just downloaded. The OP recommends a different one though, so it's hard to know what's what \/

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Dan Carlin's voice and affect is the reason that I find Hardcore History to be completely unlistenable but then again I read and enjoy super dry academic history books (the more footnotes the better!), so I'm kinda weird

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 1, 2014

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Majorian posted:

What about it don't you like, just out of curiosity?

I can't really put my finger on it. But part of it is because of the high-pitched fast aggressive voice. And part of it is because he takes historical events that I would find completely interesting in a super bland lecture and tries to "up-sell" it with boxing analogies and dramatic pauses and whatever. The end result is that to me, he almost sounds like a stereotypical used car salesman with a gold fake Rolex

Like, I totally get why a ton of people love it but it's just not for me :shobon:

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 1, 2014

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Of course these posts pop up when I'm trying to stave off the urge to listen through the History of Rome for a 3rd time

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Terrible Opinions posted:

There appears to be a podcast called the History of China podcast as opposed to the thread recommended China History podcast. Is this similarly named but distinct podcast any good?

As someone who studied Chinese history very seriously at one point, I find the History of China to be much much better

Its your standard History of Rome knockoff that is based on primary sources, but the author lives in China, so he is well acquainted with the culture and nails the small things like name pronunciation

Meanwhile, while I only listened to like tge first 7 episodes 5 years ago, the Chinese History Podcast is some dude who lives in San Fran and declared himself an expert after reading a bunch of books, some of them with dodgy standing as I recall

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 24, 2017