Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

theradiostillsucks posted:

At the risk of interrupting the Hardcore History megathread, I think 99% Invisible is worth a mention. Roman Mars' podcast centers around design in its various implements. That might sound pretentious, but it really isn't. The latest episode about slot machines is as good a place to start as any, and the previous episode about how the shot clock changed basketball from a snoozefest to action-packed is interesting as well, even for someone like me who doesn't usually give a poo poo about sports. There are episodes that are more interesting than others, but I have yet to hear a bad one. The length is usually in the 10-15 minute range save for some of the very early episodes that clocked in well under 10 minutes.

I've tried 2 different episodes of this and I can't stand it. The way they break sentences up between 2 people is so goddamn irritating. Why can't they just interview people and let it play out? Why do they have to add words in after the fact? Is this the same reason American true crime shows can only hold a shot for 4 seconds? It's a loving podcast. Since there's no time limit I'm assuming it's a stylistic choice ripped off from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Does Skeptoid get any better? I tried listening to the first episode but it was basically "HEY HIPPIES, GET THIS: Energy doesnt mean what you think it means." and then talking about thermodynamics for a half hour, in a voice that sounds like me holding my nose and impersonating nerd voice (I already have nerd voice, so im amplifying).

His voice never gets better and he seems like a very typical person who wastes too much time on the internet and becomes a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to lots of different thing, knowing very little about almost everything but trying to sound like an expert. He also pleaded (pled isn't a word?) guilty to wire fraud for using fraudulent cookies to steal referral money from eBay. That being said, I usually listen to it every week because they're all like 12 minutes long and usually about weird monsters or disappearing whosits that I've never heard of.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought the first guy was just being silly when he mentioned a cookie eating segment on an audio podcast. What the hell does that mean? Is it really that literal?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Zorak posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but the researchers behind the really excellent BBC Quiz Show QI have a new strange-facts orientated podcast called No Such Thing As A Fish. Soundcloud, iTunes.

Thanks for this, it fills a niche I was searching for perfectly. Maybe sometime Sir Fry will show up with his wonderful voice to school me in random detritus.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

People around the world [ambient crowd sounds] have been drinking [slow chugging sound] coffee for thousands of years [sizzle sound] [sound of coffee pouring] [voice says "Ahhh."].

Coffee [sizzle sound] is farmed [sound of digging and toiling] in some of the poorest countries [trumpet wah wahhh sound] and sold at a premium [cash register closes with a cha-ching sound] in some of the richest countries in the world['We're in the Money' song plays]. I'm Mr. Radiolab. Welcome to Radiolab. [assaults your ears with thousands of sounds in like two seconds]

It reminds me of trying to watch any Discovery Channel/History Channel type show made in the last decade. It seems like 5 uninterrupted seconds is just too long for people to sit still anymore. For people with ADHD, it's really hard to watch/listen to that style without getting anxious and irritated. I'm more into Hardcore History's rambling style.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
The only good history professor I had in college was a high school teacher by day. You could tell he had actual passion for the subject and was just happy speaking to people marginally more involved than 16 year olds. The older tenured ones were universally awful.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

bad day posted:

This latest episode of Invisibilia is REALLY good. It's got a bit of zippy attitude and Radiolab style editing but wow, what a cool ride. I hope they keep up the quality.

Do people prefer this style of editing to a free-flowing natural production? It reminds me of the problems I have with all of the cable TV reality shows with the 360 degree spin around people and the edits every 4 seconds. I wish they put out a normal version because the subject matter interests me, but within a few minutes of trying to listen I'm ready to pour hot wax into my ears.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

trying Skeptoid for the first time ever, high. based on this thread's recommendations
listened to the UFO listener feedback episode :lol: I love how all the messages are read in the same dumb filtered voice
and the (still imprisoned??) host has a great podcast voice :smugdog:

He really is the worst. I assume he was picked on a lot so that's why he talks about smoking cigars in hot tubs. I still listen to the show though because it's short and there's no banter and the editing isn't irritating.

edit -

Ariza fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

That drat Satyr posted:

I came to ask this exact same question. Wikipedia says he was sentenced to 15 months in August of 2014, and I don't think they give you early release for good behavior on a sentence that short... Right?

You can look him up on the federal prisoner database. http://www.bop.gov/inmateloc/ He's there until October. I think it's harder to get out of Federal prison than state prisons, but that notion comes from TV shows and movies so I have no idea how true it is.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Never heard of the guy before this, what is he actually famous or something?

He doesn't say anything racist in the talk with Dan Carlin though.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions that don't pan out.

People like to say racist instead of bigoted because it elicits a stronger negative reaction in our culture (see everyone saying misogynist instead of sexist no matter the context). It's a lazy person's black or white way of thinking because people having nuanced opinions doesn't matter when you can just paint everyone you disagree with with a mean word and discount everything else about them. Welcome to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This is like goons going, "um, actually I believe the proper term is ephebophilia"

If you really believe that, you're a very dumb person and I feel sorry for your parents. If somehow you not knowing the difference between racism and bigotry or misogyny and sexism somehow makes me a pedo in your dumb brain, you should probably get off the internet more.