Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't listened to it myself, but Carlin also has a series on hardcore history called ghosts on the ostfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Regarding the bone fields, Carlin describes it more as something that's "said" to be in russia, and immediately follows that statement with a skeptical "A part of me feels If it were real, we probably would have heard more about it.", then he quotes from the aforementioned book. If nothing else, it's at least not presented as 100% historical fact, even if he says he sees the author as reliable.

fatherboxx posted:

I live in ex-Stalingrad and a whole lot of bones sticking out of earth would have been the most metal thing for kids to explore, sadly all we got is digging for rusty pieces of iron. My only memory from a school trip around the "brotherly graves" sites is the unholy stench of the nearby bird factory.
I mean, do you really expect from Soviets to leave grim and natural reminders of the war just laying there while there was a massive, dedicated effort to rebuild the whole city from ground zero?

The nearest major city is volgograd, but the actual mystery bone pile is supposed to be "in the middle of nowhere", somewhere on the steppes as there's described to be empty plains for "miles" around them.

Yes, I have no self control and I bought Ghosts since my last post about it. ;(

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 23, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

It's out! :woop:

e: 17 minutes in, first boxing analogy gets dropped and it's a new boxer

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 6, 2015

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, boxing analogies aside, this has definitely been my favorite set of hardcore history episodes, and this last one wraps it up nicely, if that's even possible considering the theme.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
He has some very strong opinions on Islam, iirc

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
He could have released a full episode of hardcore history as a voice actor for dan carlin and I honestly would not have heard the difference

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

"I should be a web comic artist!"

A friend of a friend said this, unironically, and then quit his job to dedicate himself to writing and illustrating the shittiest penny arcade copy the internet has seen.

Eventually, through the power of unemployment and zero donation income, he was unable to pay for his share of the co-rented apartment and had to move back home with his mom. Dude is closer to 30 than 20.

Welp that's my story

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Because so many people here like Dan Carlin, you may appreciate this conversation/discussion re: american foreign policy, interventionism and the war on terror with Sam Harris

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/shouldering-the-burden-of-history-with-dan-carlin

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I thought it was a good conversation that touched on some interesting points, and while I don't really find that description of Sam Harris to be accurate beyond the standard un-nuanced hyperbole you get every time his name is brought up, this probably isn't the thread for an in-depth discussion on Harris' political viewpoints.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

And of course there are some alternate history shows, like "Ancient Rome Refocused" and "The Twilight Histories" that come at history from odd angles.

I've listened to a few episodes of The Twilight Histories now and I'm hooked! I started off with the Hannibal 1 episode, moved on to City of Pyramids and just finished Cleopatra Ceasar. I'm definitely down for spending 5bux and downloading the entire archive- are any of the episodes especially worth listening to?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
God damnit, Carlin, where the heck is the next installment of my free entertainmnet

also shilling for twilighthistories.com again even if it's more (alternate) historical fiction than educational, I've listened through all the episodes and I heartily recommend it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

How are u posted:

Mike Duncan is like a boxer.

A heavyweight boxer, to be precise. It's always heavyweights and they're always at the end of their ropes.

I went back and listened to the punic wars series and laughed out loud when he pulled out the heavyweight boxing championship match metaphor for what may have been the first time when talking about rome vs carthage

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Frankly I can't wait for Yuri's revenge to become real

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

RandomPauI posted:

So, do you think he'd be Neutral Good or True Neutral?

"Anybody who knows me know I love everyone equally, folks"

imma say neutral good

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not to distract from that, but a dude fed a predictive text interface a bunch of Hardcore History transcripts and did a dramatic reading of what it spat out.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/153158660124/hardcore-history-segment-written-using-a

"There’s another famous incident where Lenin said, quote, “Everything is happening and it’s so horrible and greasy and I often think about how many things are happening right now in history.” End quote."

this is really, really good

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This is my favorite episode of HH since Ghosts of the Ostfront. Ancient history isn't as interesting to me as modern stuff and I've been fascinated by the cold war ever since learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis so this really is the topic I've been wanting him to cover forever.

And thermonuclear war is more relevant now than it's been in a while, to boot!

I've listened to about three hours of it so far, and it's pretty good.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Trabandiumium posted:

Carlin said (maybe in a CS episode?) that he wasn't really interested in the civil war

If so, I'm really glad to hear it. Would be super bummed out if he wasted months on some civil war series of shows

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I like war nerd though I find its often a little soft on issues like russian intervention and imperialism in contrast to the treatment of western power's equivalent. That said, Brecher's stuff is often insightful and interesting and I'd recommend it for anyone interested in modern conflict, so long as they apply a bit of a healthy filter in terms of bias- though good luck finding anything that ISN'T biased one way or another in this particular field

e: also he hates our own Brown Moses and bellingcat :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm still in the camp that believes ANY DAY NOW the Haitian Revolution is going to be big. (Well, I've been kind of obsessed with it for like four years now.) Not unlike how the Gladiator movie launched a new wave of Rome-mania. Or how 2008-2012 was sort of big for Lincoln. And of course the past two years or so was kind of big for Hamilton for obvious reasons.

I think a big part of it not getting much contemporary recognition is that Haiti's story doesn't really have a happy ending

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thwomp posted:

But neither does the French Revolution.

I'm thinking more status in 2017 than immediate aftermath, in which case the french revolution worked out terrifically well while Haiti has been hosed over by natural disasters and coups ever since

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

stealie72 posted:

Do you want to hear a digitally chopped and rearranged Dan Carlin doing the history of the 2020 US election and the fall of the republic? You know you do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&pagenumber=209&perpage=40#post472699757

Haha, this ownssss

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay so Guy Goodbody suggested I post this here. I'll be doing a big post about it in GBS soon, but it seems very specifically relevant to your collective interests so I figured I'd give you a sneak peak.

Here's the thing though: I'm hoping this doesn't escape from the forums into the world at large until it's a little more done, so do try to keep it within SA for now.

I've been chopping up Dan Carlin podcasts and reassembling them into a different story. Currently it's called Hardcore Prophecy: The Trump of Doom. Some of you may remember a project like this called Son of Strelka that I did a few years back with Obama's autobiography. This one is much more dark, violent, and flat-out nasty. It's an alternate history story in which Donald Trump declares himself to be the new Messiah and becomes prophet-king of the USA. The results are, of course, mandatory congressional orgies in public, nationwide cannibalism along party lines, and good old fashioned nukes. Here's a quick video showing how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTSFDMfEjqQ

And here's a quick preview of poo poo getting crazy from a few months ago (it's changed a bit now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axR8dB2pjow

Chapters are getting finished out of order, unfortunately, but if you don't mind that you can find some of them on my soundcloud. Or you can subscribe to the soundcloud as a podcast here.

This is such an amazing and hilarious idea. Thank you for doing this.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Hazborgufen posted:

I just listened to Carlin’s most recent Common Sense episode. Sounds like the current political environment has really taken his toll on him.

He talks about that in this google talk. Apparently we're so far into retarded uncharted waters that he feels as much as a novice as anyone else and doesn't feel like he has anything meaningful insight to contribute in the realm of modern politics

Also that google talk was alright

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I like Carlin a lot but domestic US politics outside of election season is boring as gently caress, so why anyone would want to listen to common sense in the first place is beyond me

e: though I suppose if you're unfortunate enough to be american you might feel differently

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 31, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Hazborgufen posted:

So I'm still confused about why people seem to hate him.

Some people just can't handle a persons politics not being 100% aligned with their own

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I like radio war nerd but like with anything contemporary regarding politics and especially geopolitics, you gotta be very aware of their sources and their biases when going in and that you're probably getting about half the picture, and the half you're getting might often be more down with the Kremlin point of view than not

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you think radio war nerd is Kremlin propaganda you might be a bloodthirsty imperialist

It's in no way one-sided enough to call it propaganda but there's certainly a pro russian slant every time they touch on the syrian civil war

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well he is probably American so duh.

nah just a shill bought and paid for by the atlantic council

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 12, 2018

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Painfotainment sounds like a book written by horror author, dream-weaver and visionary (plus actor), Garth Marenghi

I can't wait

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Arrhythmia posted:

My Tron fan fiction set to audio

You forgot to add the link

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Not a podcast but, for anyone who liked countdown to armageddon or is interested in ww1 history, I can't recommend They Shall Not Grow Old enough

Catched it at a film festival today and it was very powerful stuff, expertly made

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Gonna second the recommendation for the The HP lovecraft literary podcast. Listened to a couple of free episodes on spotify and then signed up to their patreon and have been hella binging on their episodes during night shifts since, this poo poo rules & owns

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Omnicarus posted:

He does the same thing again and also scolds protesters for not realizing that we just need to talk to each other.

I don't think that's really what he did. It's more that he points out how the optics of violent protests and threats can, will and has been used by the right for fearmongering purposes and to further entrench the whole us vs them rhetoric

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 22, 2020

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Everyone should listen to Our Fake History

I've been binging it at work and it's consistently been great

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I listened to cuba and I'm currently working my way through korea: blowback owns and im a communist now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Don't mind if I do

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

rotinaj posted:

There was a podcast called “twilight histories” that does that. Looks like it is still going, and the maker also wrote a novel and a tabletop roleplaying game based off the idea.

Time travel tourism to different periods. Give it a listen, it might be right up your alley.

I remember listening and enjoying that podcast one million years ago. It had a great series about the black death in italy and others. Checked it out again recently and seems like the original host/writer hosed up his voice something fierce and has started leaving both writing and VA to others, and sadly it doesn't seem to have ever gotten any real traction or popularity, which is a shame

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

Neat! I also need to check if I should swap podcast apps, cause this ain't up on Player.fm, and it's not been the only channel that that's happened with

It's out on patreon, don't think it's been released to the unwashed masses yet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Carthage episode is out on spotify and probably everywhere else now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s not a podcast, but Carlin has a new substack and, uh.

Dan’s going off the deep end.

Personally I think it is Earth-built tech but from sometime in the pre-hyperborean past (and here via time travel)