Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is there any issues with the Splinter Cell trilogy on PS3?

And why isn't Conviction on PS3? I figured it might be fun to grab for ten bucks or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think developers have much faith in changing things with their brand. I guess they are afraid of new characters not catching on in a situation similar to Raiden. I mean honestly, I can say the same thing about MGS. Big Boss is pretty much functionally similar to Snake, same voice, same look, etc.

I think people forget that the Splinter Cell brand is pretty much MADE by Sam Fisher, his voice and his actions are what make the games really memorable. If the central character you played as wasn't memorable like Sam Fisher is, these games would not be remembered nearly as fondly.

While I am disappointed Ironside isn't doing the voice, I am interested in playing a good steath/action game that isn't Metal Gear again. I am happy that Ironside himself has taken an interest in following what is being done with "his" character, and is being kept on as a key part of the process the game is currently going though. If multiple actors can play James Bond, I'm pretty sure the character of Sam Fisher can as well.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

While I am disappointed Ironside isn't doing the voice, I am interested in playing a good steath/action game that isn't Metal Gear again.

While it's good to hear that they're revisiting some of the classic stealth game elements for Blacklist, the next Thief game also looks promising too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRsOQ4MS_8

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think people forget that the Splinter Cell brand is pretty much MADE by Sam Fisher, his voice and his actions are what make the games really memorable. If the central character you played as wasn't memorable like Sam Fisher is, these games would not be remembered nearly as fondly.

So to keep this memorable character they stick with Sam Fisher, just with a different voice and different actions.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So Splinter Cell news is fairly quiet at least until PAX this weekend. Hopefully they show off/offically announce SvM and Coop and Deniable Ops (the only good part of Conviction). But in the meantime some more stealth game news (other stealth games are fair game in here)

• I've never played the Thief games but apparently you can finish the game without killing anyone in Thief 4. Which is nice I guess. I need to get on playing Thief 1-3 ever since I bought it on GOG.
  • Mark of the Ninja is getting some DLC, looks like a new level (prequel) and some more items and a non-lethal takedown ability. Oh and some dev commentary which might be nice. I've actually been replaying MotN to collect all the things before moving onto NG+ which I hear is a real challenge.

And...

This might as well be the box art pose for Blacklist, man posing with gun. Just needs some sparks in the foreground or something like every drat movie poster in recent history. (yes they can keep The Hulk in the background too)

Fortress
Feb 22, 2012
I enjoyed Conviction, but like a lot of people have said it just isn't a Splinter Cell game. I had to play on the hardest difficulty to keep from just breezing through everything. Also the sonar goggles make the last part of the game stupidly easy. I'm sad to say that I never gave the other Splinter Cell games much of a chance, but I'll have to pick up Chaos Theory now, you've intrigued me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Conviction played more like a game starting a Splinter Cell dude rather than a Splinter Cell game (Hitman: Absolution had the same failing IMO), so it was more like a 6-8 hour long extended stealth section in an action game. The way the guards and 95% of the scenarios in the game are set up feel more like a stealth sequence than a stealth game. You are actively being hunted throughout most of the game, so like a stealth sequence in a non-stealth game, the guards are full aggro rather than set on their own routines.

Guards in Conviction were almost always :supaburn: FISHER IS HERE OH MY GOD FISHER IS HERE :supaburn: whereas in a typical stealth game, you might occasionally hear whispers about your character amongst guards (MotN, Dishonoured recently come to mind) but they never actively assume you are there unless you gently caress up/get spotted or something. The thing about stealth games is you can only script it so far (mostly progress markers, guard discussions/shooting the poo poo before they break back into routine patrol) and most of the underlying work is to make sure the level they've fashioned can exist without you. This is why ghosting in stealth games feels so satisfying; no one knows you were even there, apart from the occasional distraction that a guard will attribute to creaky floorboards or the wind or something else and not you. They'll shrug it off and go about their business.

This is why level design is so paramount to stealth games, because the environment has to exist on its own but also allow you to disturb it for your own goal. I can only assume, from not playing the Thief games, that Dishonoured/DX follow the same lineage of Looking Glass Studios design so Thief levels are probably even more complex than something Splinter Cell might offer, which blows my mind that I haven't gotten around to them yet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Conviction is cool and I enjoyed it, but it really is very, very different from the prior SC games. It plays like Baby's First Splinter Cell, where the mechanics are dumbed down (or to use developer buzzword parlance, "streamlined") to make it more accessible.
I'm not trying to say I want all my games to be mega-difficult elite-gamers-only spergfests or some poo poo, and like I said I *did* enjoy Conviction, it's just a massive departure.

I think perhaps different difficulty modes with different gameplay features enabled/disabled might have been a better way to go - the latest Sniper Elite game is like that. You can play in mega-hardcore sniper mode where you have to control your breathing and account for wind and bullet drop, and the enemy AI is brutal and you can't take much damage and really have to plan out your actions, or you can turn all of that off and just snipe dudes and watch the cool bullet-cams and poo poo.
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey was the same way - the lowest difficulty was 3rd-person and very arcade-ey and basic, but if you played on the higher settings you were forced to play in 1st-person cockpit view with no HUD and only use the in-game flight instruments and the planes handled completely differently.

Like I get that they wanted Conviction to be more accessible, but I think scalable options might have been a better way to appease the long-time Splinter Cell junkies who were used to the more in-depth stealth mechanics.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Here is some PAX footage narrated by Patrick Redding. If you saw the NVG video that was like 1 minute long, they run through the same area again but with all three different playstyles to show what you can do.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Some good came out of PAX in the form of some actual game being played and not pre-recorded demo reel stuff. All off-screen stuff, so a bit shaky.

17 minutes long, shows off the Paladin/SMI/team and then a good chunk of the night time London mission. This includes the part they showed with the "3 playstyles" video but also with a portion of rooftop entry section and what happens at the end of that entire section.

6 minutes long, shows off the daytime mission in Benghazi.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Couple days late but there is a new trailer out, "Abilities", they call it. Stalk, Strike, Silence are the words they want to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQa5D6zrAE

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Spies vs. Mercs trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhhx2qk5cgI

Let's hope they fixed some of the mode's more egregious, well-known problems.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Spies vs. Mercs trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhhx2qk5cgI

Let's hope they fixed some of the mode's more egregious, well-known problems.
I've never really touched SvM for more than maybe an hour, was it the changes from SCDA I've heard about or were they problems since PT/CT SvM?

Looks like I'll have to hop in though, really nice that spies are a bit more aggressive but mercs also have some neat gadgets like suicide drones.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sober posted:

Looks like I'll have to hop in though, really nice that spies are a bit more aggressive but mercs also have some neat gadgets like suicide drones.

Mercs had those in Double Agent. They were pretty good.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Mercs had those in Double Agent. They were pretty good.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Xbox Live Pandora Tomorrow friends REUNITE!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Embargoes lifted on SvM previews, first let's start with gameplay video from Eurogamer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIeuRwp-FSY

and something in words as well: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-07-splinter-cell-blacklist-preview-the-king-of-multiplayer-returns

There's a bit of co-op also.

edit:

Looks like SvM is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal, from the Joystiq preview the creative directed from PT SvM is back working on it. There is a "Blacklist" variation of 4v4 with classes and customization and then a classic 2v2 SvM which strips everything from Blacklist and plays similar to the older versions.

Sober fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 7, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I will probably stay with Classic. Watch the Eurogamer video. Watch 40 seconds in. Spies are loving murdering Mercs with instant-kill dash-by knife attacks. Watch a Spy literally take out 2 Mercs in 4 seconds. It's not an "alteration", it's Deathmatch with classes. Wow.

They aren't showing Classic at all, but the Eurogamer's description is not helping matters. It's described by the Eurogamer narrator as "cloaked in darkness, with terrified Mercs peering into the shadows trying to find their assassins." Uh, hello? The Spies are supposed to be the scared guys, which encourages a modicum of stealth. It sounds like they've actually amped up the Spy dominance of the base game which has always been a problem with the multiplayer.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 7, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I will probably stay with Classic. Watch the Eurogamer video. Watch 40 seconds in. Spies are loving murdering Mercs with instant-kill dash-by knife attacks. Watch a Spy literally take out 2 Mercs in 4 seconds. It's not an "alteration", it's Deathmatch with classes. Wow.

They aren't showing Classic at all, but the Eurogamer's description is not helping matters. It's described by the Eurogamer narrator as "cloaked in darkness, with terrified Mercs peering into the shadows trying to find their assassins." Uh, hello? The Spies are supposed to be the scared guys, which encourages a modicum of stealth. It sounds like they've actually amped up the Spy dominance of the base game which has always been a problem with the multiplayer.
Looks like all the outlets got the same footage but cut it differently. There is "classic" SvM shown in the videos, though it's probably a small step up from actual classic SvM. Spies have a knife but that's about it offensively in Classic mode. Also no classes, that is only the Blacklist variant. The stuff you mentioned at the start of the EG video is actually classic (where mercs have flashlights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwW0zGthxA

From the devs themselves. The PT director for SvM is back too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sober posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwW0zGthxA

From the devs themselves. The PT director for SvM is back too.

Thank you for posting these videos.

If a single spy can literally kill 2 Mercs in 3 seconds *in Classic mode* then I'm not real happy about that. I'm not real happy that the game developers have said almost verbatim, "The Mercenaries should be afraid of dark places and high spots."

I personally felt that the game was strongest when the Spies were on the defensive and the Mercs literally won 95% of all head-on confrontations. I enjoyed gameplay where, if the Mercs knew where the Spies were hiding, the Spies were in real trouble. I enjoyed the stalking, misdirection, and ambush gameplay that the Spies were forced to employ. And I played Spies half the time - we all did - so it's not like I'm a 100% Merc player who wants to smash puny Spies. Far from it.

Again, my personal feelings are this: as the players gained more skill and realized that the Mercenaries were very large, easily dealt with targets who could be smoked, choked, and run out of respawns, the dynamic of the game changed for the worse. The Spies became hyper-aggressive and the stealth aspect of the game largely melted away. I was really hoping that the developers would curb this somewhat, but it doesn't look like that's happening. And it's sad. I feel that both sides - the Spies and the Mercs - should be fun to play and have something to recommend them. I shouldn't sigh when I have to play the Merc and be like "oh, here's 10 minutes of me being a punching bag and target for the superior spies", and that's largely what ends up happening after the first few weeks of play.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, they tried to balance things in CT (gas masks for mercs), but poo poo like goomba stomping for spies and stunning with their little electronic gun made aggressive play for spies extremely viable and made for dull gameplay. I'm not even sure what the point of the newer mode is with shadows largely gone and spies getting pistols. It's basically third person shooter vs. first person shooter with the really cool asymmetrical playstyles excised. Don't even get me started on the hints that the game will have loving level grinding for unlocks.

I'm glad they're adding a classic mode, because I know PT/CT were really hard for people to get into and it'd be easy to just have whatever weird killathon thing they have going with the 4v4 setup, but the old Spy vs. Merc stuff was not perfect and spies need a serious defanging so the original cat-and-mouse gameplay can come back to the forefront. Right now it looks more like Tom & Jerry.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, they tried to balance things in CT (gas masks for mercs), but poo poo like goomba stomping for spies and stunning with their little electronic gun made aggressive play for spies extremely viable and made for dull gameplay. I'm not even sure what the point of the newer mode is with shadows largely gone and spies getting pistols. It's basically third person shooter vs. first person shooter with the really cool asymmetrical playstyles excised. Don't even get me started on the hints that the game will have loving level grinding for unlocks.

I'm glad they're adding a classic mode, because I know PT/CT were really hard for people to get into and it'd be easy to just have whatever weird killathon thing they have going with the 4v4 setup, but the old Spy vs. Merc stuff was not perfect and spies need a serious defanging so the original cat-and-mouse gameplay can come back to the forefront. Right now it looks more like Tom & Jerry.
Looks like only Blacklist mode has unlocks, but I assume it shares some things with the unlock system that exists in SP and coop (unless SvM is separate from them). I never played SvM for more than an hour but I can see the metagame complaints (this exists in nearly every MP game ever) from people who've put tons of time into it. I don't think I've ever seen real big metagame changes from action games short of a balance patch though.

Here is a post from someone who played it hands-on, so take it with a grain of salt:

quote:

I was lucky enough to visit the Ubisoft Toronto studio yesterday and get a hands-on with the game. Apart from every mode (SP, COOP, SVM) being fantastic, the new Spy Versus Merc is just a level above everything I've experienced in recent years.

They have delivered on the true SvM experience. BIG TIME. The game is a work of genius. They have taken all of the major problems faced in the old SvM and designed them out of the game.

Hands down, this game is amazing and will keep any SvM fan occupied for years to come.

Yes, it is much easier to kill a merc in close combat. It's possible to kill a merc with a melee attack from any angle in both modes, but spies are not overpowered. The game is already pretty well balanced from what I experienced and the team are still working hard to tweak it.

Spies are extremely fragile and very easy to kill. As a merc, you will be very rarely killed from the front if you know the spy is there. Of course, if you are ambushed from the front you will die, which is fair enough IMO.

I am all about the classic mode. The tension, the fear, the strategy, the rush....it's all there.

Blacklist mode is far more frantic and I will say that it is a worthy experience which I will play a lot, but classic mode is SvM 2.0

One of the most exciting parts of my play-day was catching a group of 3 mercs unaware in the Blacklist mode, as they were searching for my team-mate, and chain killing the three of them with my knife. The animations are so fluid & fantastic that I felt like a stealthy whirlwind of fury running through them and just slicing them up. It was an amazing moment. You may think that it's overpowering, but the risk involved in approaching a merc is so high, that you would be foolish to try and take them out.

The pay off for killing the merc is also reduced gameplay wise, because both teams have infinite lives.

We had some discussion on here about lives for each team already, where I said infinite lives for mercs was a problem, but the way that infinite respawns for BOTH teams affects the game balance is tremendous.

Specifically, it means the increased lethality of spies in CQC is not such a big deal, and the problem with "aggro spies" & spawn killing simply disappear. I'll tell you why in a minute...but first you need to understand the way the game is designed before I can tell you why the problems disappear.

Each level has 3 objectives (A,B & C) that must ALL be hacked to win the round. There is a running score kept of the number of objectives that are hacked. They also score you for % of an objective that is hacked - meaning you can score 2 objectives 100% (full hack) and another objective 56% before the round switches. The opposing team must now score 2x100% objectives and the last one must be hacked past 57% to win.

Once a spy hacks an objective he becomes "the hacker". The area is immediately cordoned off with lasers to define the boundaries of the objective area. No other objectives can now be hacked. This objective becomes "the hot zone" and the hacker must now stay within the confines of this area for 90 seconds while the objective counts up to 100%. Distance from the objective does NOT affect the rate of progression. Essentially the spy must stay hidden in this area while the mercs hunt him down. If he is spotted, the chances of dying are extremely high.

To stop the hack, the mercs must track down the hacker and kill him. Once he has been killed, the progression % freezes as a counter of 20 seconds starts. If the spy's teammate can re-initiate the hack within those 20 seconds, he becomes the hacker and the objective continues from that progression %. If he doesn't, the counter is reset to 0%.

Since spies have to hold the area for 90 seconds, you might think that killing the merc is a good way to achieve this. This is not the case because the merc's respawn counter is only 10 seconds and he generally spawns right outside the objective area. Constantly being able to respawn over and over means the mercs have to be killed 3-4 times before the objective reaches 100%. Spies are not going to be able to survive 3-4 engagements with the merc.

The only way to win is to hack the objective. The best strategy is hack, hide & evade. Kills can certainly help, but engage the mercs is so dangerous that it's best to just stay out of sight. If done effectively, it's very hard to counter.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Here is a co-op trailer, for those who like co-op. I haven't actually played CT/Conviction co-op but I'm definitely in the mood for some especially since I think I'm tired of playing SP forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rze3y5rkcdI

Obligatory pew-pew in a trailer, though there are missions that will make you hate your partner, which are the insta-fail stealth ones, probably with also with no kills variety. That and enemies that require mark and execute to be timed properly from both partners for a clean kill, so at least they put a crappy mechanic to some good use even when it usually sucks the fun out of everything.

I believe Conviction co-op is done through uPlay? Would I have to use VLAN stuff to play CT co-op these days?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Utnayan posted:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Xbox Live Pandora Tomorrow friends REUNITE!

Look to the east, cuz I'ma snap your neck from the west...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dvlos posted:

Look to the east, cuz I'ma snap your neck from the west...

I don't think you get to snap necks anymore. It's knives now.

Knives over Knecks. I suggest this as our new clan name. The logo can be Sean Connery surrounded by the "Triangle of Xanthor".

This is some real inside business I'm dropping and there's maybe 12 people on the forum who get it, all old-timers who played Pandora Tomorrow on original Xbox a decade ago. Good times.

I'm kind of excited about SvM, the unlimited respawns for the Mercs help to deal with aggro spies and closing off a chunk of the map for hacking is a very good way to turn it into cat-and-mouse, rather than Shocking Neck Snappers Party.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

All I know is, the first rule of SvM is we don't talk about SvM [spoilers]to WaffleZone[/spoilers].

And the second rule is ....we don't talk about SvM [spoilers]to WaffleZone[/spoilers]

Yeah it appears to be knives now, and the mercs have some viscous revenge moves for close range on spies. Game seems much faster paced like DA, drones like DA, but maybe more gadgets (cloak seems interesting) on both sides to make it interesting. Is there a complete rundown on all the new gadgets and abilities?

What's been missing since Chaos Theory was all the traps and gadgets that made the cat and mouse fun. Had they given mercs unlimited lives it probably would have been THE perfect iteration of SvM. Loved the spy bullets, gas mines, and noise traps to throw off the mercs- hope this stuff makes a comeback.

Knives over Knex sounds cool, but your post Megaman reminded me of how old I am, and how long ago it was since we got hooked on this crap and spent over 100 hours on just SvM multi. What about Goondora Tomorrow? Alzheimer Goons? or We Can't Choke With Knives in Our Hands.

Is choking totally gone because holding a merc in a chokehold at a certain point offered a slight tactical advantage?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm still pretty annoyed that Ironside isn't coming back. I mean I respect his choice, but at the very least they could have "retired" the Sam Fisher character. His story arc pretty much ends naturally at the end of Conviction anyway, just let the dude retire.
I had the exact same feeling. Third Echelon is gone, he found out the truth about his daughter, and more importantly, he found his daughter again. It seems weird to me that he'd continue the superspy life when he'd probably want to spend as much time with Sarah as he can. It also seemed that Grim was sort of coming into her own as a field agent, so (at least to me anyway) it'd make a little more sense to have her as the main protagonist in the next game, especially if it's not going to have Ironside as Fisher anyway.

just for the love of god, no jiggle physics except on her hair

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Grimsdottier The Game wouldn't be the same, the obviously you need a new character voiced by Jeremy Irons.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Anyone getting the giant remote controlled plane pre-order bonus :v:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I like pretty much every Splinter Cell game, including Conviction. I viewed it as a developer changing an IP's formula in a rather risky manner and not being entirely successful rather than just a complete failure.

So I'm pretty excited for this game since it appears to be the first one to reward more than one playstyle since the first game in the series which didn't really keep score at all beyond failing the mission if you screwed up too badly. It's always irked me that since Pandora Tomorrow you either played the game the developer's way or you got lovely scores. As much as I try to 'ignore' the scores, it still influenced the way I played those games because nobody likes seing 'hahaha you're so bad you got only 60%' on this level.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I am not opposed to inserting multiple new manners for completing a game. Take the Hitman games for example (didn't play Absolution) but you had multiple ways to complete a mission, all guns, stealth and guns, traps etc. I would have probably enjoyed Conviction more, if I could have had the option to play "super stealth" and Jack Bauer. Yes you did sneak around in Conviction, but it was few and far between, while Pandora Tomorrow the stealth was shoehorned in, in Conviction the Melee for M&E was shoehorned every so often.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I like pretty much every Splinter Cell game, including Conviction. I viewed it as a developer changing an IP's formula in a rather risky manner and not being entirely successful rather than just a complete failure.

So I'm pretty excited for this game since it appears to be the first one to reward more than one playstyle since the first game in the series which didn't really keep score at all beyond failing the mission if you screwed up too badly. It's always irked me that since Pandora Tomorrow you either played the game the developer's way or you got lovely scores. As much as I try to 'ignore' the scores, it still influenced the way I played those games because nobody likes seing 'hahaha you're so bad you got only 60%' on this level.
I actually need to rewatch a playthrough of Pandora Tomorrow because I definitely can't play it on PC and I might've only played it once back in the day. Other than that it felt really linear to me but so was the first game and it never really opened up until CT (and maybe gen 6 DA but I haven't played/watched it yet) and promptly stopped there. CT was something magical where it was a stealth game but also almost very sandbox-y. Conviction was definitely half-baked, as literally admitted by the creative director during a community interview, but it was at least arguably better than what we would've gotten if it turned into AC-clone staring hobo Sam Fisher.

If it wasn't for Chaos Theory and all the gameplay philosophies introduced in it, I don't think the series would've exploded like it did (even with SvM, even with Ironside's performance), which is why everyone always wants "CT for the modern gen" without releasing the game with new levels had been done (again, gen 6 SCDA as far as I know) and that ship has sailed.

Much of the complaints about Conviction were probably ultimately about the lack of stealth, and that was mostly because the game felt more like a stealth sequence than a stealth game because 99% of the game was the guards knowing you had intruded near the start of the level and it was their job to hunt you down. The cat-and-mouse gameplay loop was fun but the fact that it was forced on you really hampered the fun of playing it unseen/unknownst to the guards. Deniable-Ops proved the system worked in a sense because it really was what people were hoping for (guards don't know you are on the premises unless you either screw up or let them know it) but I don't think most people were able to explain it like that, usually expressed in the form of, "it was more like CT than the story".

I just realized I haven't really kept the thread up to date or bumped it with much news, but with a little over 2 months to go I'm probably going to shift the first thread down to the second and just splerge a bunch of Blacklist info/videos/features that I found for the last while.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Much of my complaints of Conviction are not going to exist if SvM is balanced and cat-and-mouse. Because I will literally not care about other games for the next 200-300 hours.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hopefully what they show today during the conference gives a little more confidence than what we got last year (airstrikes and too much killing in motion being used) as it'll probably be a singleplayer stage demo. Hopefully on the floor they do have something playable, SvM would be nice to have.

There were many doubts about SvM but from what I read it seems like the people that got to play it rather liked it, even with it being engineered for this generation and not being a transplant of what exactly existed in PT SvM being placed into Blacklist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well the major thing is that they took away limited lives for the Mercs (and Spies, but that doesn't matter so much) and that's a huge deal.

Now Spies that spend their time shocking and stabbing and hunting Mercs instead of hacking their objectives are just wasting their time. But once you start hacking, it's worth it to delay/fight the Mercs. That's exactly how it should be.

Bullitt006
Dec 10, 2012
It appears like they are trying quite hard to appease both stealth play and run and gun from all these trailers, and from the coop trailer you posted it looks like they have even extended this into coop (hopefully it won't gently caress up your game if your partner decides to go all Rambo) I have hope, fingers crossed.

Bullitt006
Dec 10, 2012

Dvlos posted:

Anyone getting the giant remote controlled plane pre-order bonus :v:

:O where?! Is this another one of those US exclusive things. They get all the fun stuff :(

Bullitt006 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bullitt006 posted:

:O where?! Is this another one of those US exclusive things. They get all the fun stuff :(
You can get a silver-coated, Sam Fisher shaped ostentatious hood ornament if you live in Europe :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

New E3 trailer, not the crappy multiscreen one they had at the Ubi conf though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolefCguqdQ

Sam is looking old again, at least.

Updated the OP for Blacklist with maybe some more coming; just moved the older games down a post. Thanks to fellow goon Captain Swing who made some cool SC gif banners! I used both!

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Sober posted:

.... and not being a transplant of what exactly existed in PT SvM being placed into Blacklist.

I don't think they needed to make a PT SvM transplant, the PT game was excellent in theory but it could be broken, and it was. I did not like how everyone just wanted to go "aggro spy" and go willy nilly on the mercs and ignore objectives. This was countered with the super agile spies in DA eventually but it was too merc friendly.

I see the changes they have made as PT 2.0 which is what I hoped for. Classic mode, mercs with unlimited lives, and a surefire objective for spies. Like Megaman said, just running around trying to harass mercs seems like a huge waste of time. Doing so for a purpose (to extend your hack) and cat and mouse to hit objectives was the point of PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Looks to be another game with americans against middle-eastern terrorist, it's Tom Clancy(not really) so I shouldn't be surprised.None of the earlier SC games did that, they were actually good about what the enemy was, CT had the Japanese, DA American terrorists, PT south Americans(IIRC) and Conviction even had you fight American agents.
Speaking of Conviction are they actually gonna do anything with the Megiddo plot thread or did they drop that?

I know that sympathetic antagonists are good but it seems like I'm gonna have to play Blacklists like Call of Duty, as the villain.

• Locked thread