Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can complete most of the single-player game without killing anyone and you get the most points for not disturbing anyone at all. This is in contrast to Conviction, which was near 180 from previous SC games and demanded you slay everyone with impunity.

I really enjoyed Conviction despite it not really being at all like classic Splinter Cell, and Blacklist is better than Conviction in almost every way.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell in terms of mechanics. You can absolutely play through every single player stealth part and go undetected. There's only a few parts of the game where completely ghosting it is not an option.

Now, the story is absolutely loathsome, and their "Sam Fisher" is garbage, but the game itself is very slick.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Blacklist is the best Splinter Cell in terms of mechanics. You can absolutely play through every single player stealth part and go undetected. There's only a few parts of the game where completely ghosting it is not an option.

Now, the story is absolutely loathsome, and their "Sam Fisher" is garbage, but the game itself is very slick.

This should be in the OP it's so spot on

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

E-Tank posted:

After the last actual 'stealth focused game' Ubisoft got it in their head that they needed to re-invent him into a stealth/action star. So instead of making it more like you're trying to get by without being spotted once, they took away quite a few options to get through without being spotted, making it less 'stealth all the way through' and more 'Stealth kill everyone'.

You didn't actually play Blacklist did you? BL is the best Chaos Theory remake we've been asking for!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I don't get the 'you can't stealth through' argument. Maybe for certain character segments, but when you're controlling Sam drat near everything can be ghosted. Even stuff I didn't think possible to be ghosted can be ghosted. :psyduck:

gently caress dogs though

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

You didn't actually play Blacklist did you? BL is the best Chaos Theory remake we've been asking for!

Ever since Conviction its gone downhill, in my experience.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I don't get the 'you can't stealth through' argument. Maybe for certain character segments, but when you're controlling Sam drat near everything can be ghosted.

You can't ghost through The train when after the engineer's leader. Its loving impossible to stealth through the holdout misssions. You're going to have to use lethal weaponry at some point or another.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

E-Tank posted:

You can't ghost through The train when after the engineer's leader. Its loving impossible to stealth through the holdout misssions. You're going to have to use lethal weaponry at some point or another.

I really don't see how that is any different than Chaos Theory, which actually forced you to kill a few people. Hell, all of the other games force you to kill people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
God remember that time in the last mission of Splinter Cell 1 where all those Georgian soldiers saw you standing in the light? Stealth is dead guys, pack it up, Sam Fisher is a hack. Can't even hide properly.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I am pretty sure you can do no-KO ghost on trainyard, though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

E-Tank posted:

So exactly as he said. A handful of scriped areas. Are you really counting the optional horde mode sidemissions as a problem because it's incredibly hard to ghost them? It's optional horde mode stuff!

You can ghost the vast majority of the main game. You can ghost the vast majority of the co-op, Grims missions you HAVE to ghost, and I can't remember what the gently caress the deal was with Kobins missions (Were they takedown everyone?) but you can go unspotted in them too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can even non-lethal those 'forced kill sections'. The game even changes animation during cutscenes if you're using the appropriate weapon!

Blacklist has its flaws but c'mon now. And yeah, Kobin missions can be done lethal or non-lethal, you just need to subdue everyone.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Blacklist has its flaws but c'mon now.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoy blacklist. It's a step in the right direction, but conviction was a massive disappointment to me. Though then maybe I'm not one to talk because I got Splinter Cell:Double Agent as my first 'intro' to the series, and loving loved it. :shrug: Ignore my ramblings then.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

E-Tank posted:

Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoy blacklist. It's a step in the right direction, but conviction was a massive disappointment to me. Though then maybe I'm not one to talk because I got Splinter Cell:Double Agent as my first 'intro' to the series, and loving loved it. :shrug: Ignore my ramblings then.

I actually liked Double Agent, when it wasn't bugging out on me. It had some badass music and just felt like a slightly different Chaos Theory and it was nice to go after domestic terrorists for a change.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palladium posted:

I am pretty sure you can do no-KO ghost on trainyard, though.

It's very hard to pull off, but yes you can. I made it all the way to the end of the tunnel before I just said "gently caress it". KO's aren't going to affect a Ghost score all that much though, so it's not that big a deal.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

E-Tank posted:

That's fine.

I just have a problem with people who have their nostalgia goggles so poorly adjusted they plant this image of Splinter Cell as basically Thief (large sprawling hub levels, you never have to kill anyone) because they played a few levels of Chaos Theory and assumed that was what the entire series was up to that point.

Sure they turned up the revenge-fueled death machine on Sam Fisher up to 11 in Conviction but people seriously try to equate him to the greatest :911: American pacifist ninja :911: because of Chaos Theory. Part of Sam Fisher's job is to kill people because its in his country's best interests.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I actually liked Double Agent, when it wasn't bugging out on me. It had some badass music and just felt like a slightly different Chaos Theory and it was nice to go after domestic terrorists for a change.

I liked it because you actually had to stop and think about the ramifications of your actions.

A good early one that sort of shook me was The killing of the helicoptor pilot. It was the 'test' to see if I was a killer like they needed. I didn't want to. But I rationalized it away as the fact that if I didn't do it, the rest of them would kill him, and me too. This way his death had meaning. His death would help cement my cover and keep Sam alive. And then after I pulled the trigger on the man, begging and pleading for his life, It suddenly struck me how hollow the excuse I'd made was.

It made me think. It made me wonder. Was this really needed? If I wasn't there to do what they needed, wouldn't they have gotten caught anyway? Or been unable to do poo poo without me? At the end of it all, did I save more lives than I killed? Was it worth it at all? I didn't know.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Double Agent, PC version quality aside, would have been so much better if it wasn't that first foray into non-light/sound meter territory. I could just never get used to when exactly the yellow light would turn red or vice versa. Other than that though I thought it was a pretty good one, though it was a bit easy to game the Trust system.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I bought Blacklist. Coop not working online at all. Thanks Ubisoft! :thumbsup:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

A friend and I bought Blacklist. Coop not working online at all. Thanks Ubisoft! :thumbsup:

Try having the other person host. I have had some problems myself on PC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PaganGoatPants posted:

Because you haven't disabled all real or virtual network adapters except the one you are actively using. Thats some 1990s DOS-esque nonsense right there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

E-Tank posted:

I liked it because you actually had to stop and think about the ramifications of your actions.

A good early one that sort of shook me was The killing of the helicoptor pilot. It was the 'test' to see if I was a killer like they needed. I didn't want to. But I rationalized it away as the fact that if I didn't do it, the rest of them would kill him, and me too. This way his death had meaning. His death would help cement my cover and keep Sam alive. And then after I pulled the trigger on the man, begging and pleading for his life, It suddenly struck me how hollow the excuse I'd made was.

It made me think. It made me wonder. Was this really needed? If I wasn't there to do what they needed, wouldn't they have gotten caught anyway? Or been unable to do poo poo without me? At the end of it all, did I save more lives than I killed? Was it worth it at all? I didn't know.

There's an interesting and subtle thread running through the pre-Conviction Splinter Cells where Sam has legitimately become so battle-scarred and tired that he realizes that so much of what he and the US does in the name of "national security" and "the greater good" is all bullshit. He only keeps it up because its better than the alternative.

It comes through best in Chaos Theory where Lambert criticizes you for rescuing the pilots or in Pandora Tomorrow where if you kill the Israeli agent, you never get told why you did that. It never becomes dominant or distracts from the Tom Clancy "USA USA USA" jingoism but it was a nice touch that differentiated the series and Sam from other modern military games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That shift is what prompted Michael Ironside to finally turn away from the franchise, isn't it? I recall him talking about how he only did Conviction because Fourth Echelon were going to be held accountable for what they've done, but then wanted to wash his hands of the thing. Not sure how much of that is true and how much of it is just trying to look like the bigger man, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

poptart_fairy posted:

That shift is what prompted Michael Ironside to finally turn away from the franchise, isn't it? I recall him talking about how he only did Conviction because Fourth Echelon were going to be held accountable for what they've done, but then wanted to wash his hands of the thing. Not sure how much of that is true and how much of it is just trying to look like the bigger man, though.

He didn't want to sign on for the last one because he thought the character was stale but they convinced him it was going to be different (a more personal story, I guess?). I think he was going to be done after conviction no matter what.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1stGear posted:

There's an interesting and subtle thread running through the pre-Conviction Splinter Cells where Sam has legitimately become so battle-scarred and tired that he realizes that so much of what he and the US does in the name of "national security" and "the greater good" is all bullshit. He only keeps it up because its better than the alternative.

It comes through best in Chaos Theory where Lambert criticizes you for rescuing the pilots or in Pandora Tomorrow where if you kill the Israeli agent, you never get told why you did that. It never becomes dominant or distracts from the Tom Clancy "USA USA USA" jingoism but it was a nice touch that differentiated the series and Sam from other modern military games.

The first time I played that sequence I pretty much immediately shot the agent and honestly had to ask myself why I did that so readily. Sam reminding me that shooting an unarmed woman in the middle of the street does seem a lot like terrorism didn't help.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kibayasu posted:

The first time I played that sequence I pretty much immediately shot the agent and honestly had to ask myself why I did that so readily. Sam reminding me that shooting an unarmed woman in the middle of the street does seem a lot like terrorism didn't help.

Its a loving brilliant piece of storytelling and its kind of a shame that it got stuck in the forgotten Splinter Cell game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love Michael Ironside as much as the next guy, but I find it hard to believe that a voice actor for a video game character would turn down a role because he felt that his video game character wasn't deep enough.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I love Michael Ironside as much as the next guy, but I find it hard to believe that a voice actor for a video game character would turn down a role because he felt that his video game character wasn't deep enough.

When they first asked him to do the very first Splinter Cell he thought the character sucked and he had some influence in developing it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

When they first asked him to do the very first Splinter Cell he thought the character sucked and he had some influence in developing it.
Yeah and then they took away, presumably because Ubisoft was moving the Tom Clancy license into going more gung-ho explosions everywhere action movie thriller.

That being said at least even the games from Conviction and onward have much more interesting things going on for them than their other properties (Ghost Recon, R6, HAWX, etc.), where it just feels like faceless, nameless soldiers vomitting out Tom Clancyisms.

Say what you want about Blacklist but they had clearly defined characters on your team and they changed from beginning to end (apparently character development is too hard for other video game writers), which is saying a lot considering the actual plot of the game is rotting, festering garbage in a franchise where it's the same except every other game is that incomprehensible plot but moved along by faceless voices over your radio you'll never remember.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Sober posted:

Say what you want about Blacklist but they had clearly defined characters on your team and they changed from beginning to end (apparently character development is too hard for other video game writers), which is saying a lot considering the actual plot of the game is rotting, festering garbage in a franchise where it's the same except every other game is that incomprehensible plot but moved along by faceless voices over your radio you'll never remember.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here.

What changed about the characters? Grim is still Grim. She's the soulless husk that exists strictly to spit out monotone dialogue and be all 'we make the hard choices because we have to'.

Charlie just plain old hosed up. And then he was sad he hosed up, and then suddenly didn't gently caress up. Wow, such character growth.

Briggs got shafted, completely and totally. He now no longer has anywhere to go but with Sam's stupid fourth Echelon and all his friends now hate him and no longer respect him. If he ever decides to try and get away from killing people for Sam, he's got no place to go. I mean I *guess* you can call that character development?

Kobin sort of redeemed himself in my eyes because while he's a dickhole, he did save the plane and work for Sam when the pilot wouldn't, and was not so much of an rear end in a top hat that he didn't recognize that a nuke or the blacklist was something that could kill a lot of people. He seemed to genuinely want to help near the end, and I was disappointed that the aftergame didn't have him actually outside of the cell.

And Sam? Well he's still the same unfeeling prick who acts like everyone is disposable, doesn't give a gently caress about anyone aside from his personal friends, legit thinks he knows it all and is better than everyone else, uses everybody and then discards them when they are no longer useful, forces Briggs to basically betray his friends and coworkers, goes around every single other organization when the best bet would be to work together so that lines of communication could stay open, and in any sane world would be locked up in a mental ward until they could get a decent human being out of him.

I never, ever, felt like I liked the characters in the game. I didn't play it for the story, I played it because gameplay wise, it was good, and I got the game for free.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How much does the crossbow trivialize stealth? I'm trying to kill as few people as possible. But it's pretty hard sneaking around and getting up close with guards the way their patrols change randomly. I watched some video on ghosting however, and that seemed to consist entirely of taking guys out with the gas crossbow bolts from a safe distance. That kind of gameplay is for scrubs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

How much does the crossbow trivialize stealth? I'm trying to kill as few people as possible. But it's pretty hard sneaking around and getting up close with guards the way their patrols change randomly. I watched some video on ghosting however, and that seemed to consist entirely of taking guys out with the gas crossbow bolts from a safe distance. That kind of gameplay is for scrubs.

A headshot from the crossbow will take out an armored trooper, and it's an AOE effect that can take out his nearby friends, too. For most enemies you don't even have to score a hit, just shoot it near their feet and they're done. It has a limited range, but if you are good you can arc the shot to hit someone from almost any distance. Meanwhile, you are magically immune to the gas.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

If you're really ghosting you can get by without knocking people out. The crossbow makes it pretty easy to knock people out though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If they were "taking guys out" they aren't ghosting. The patrols in this game don't change, they're just really long with a couple dynamic branches but the decision moments are always the same and it becomes easy, after enough time, to read all the enemies in this game.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Has anyone here actually played Chaos Theory recently?

Blacklist is the remake we all wanted. The entire sell of chaos theory was that you could do the missions any way you wanted. I mean how much more can that be made clear. They made the alarm system a much more dynamic thing that just makes combat harder. There's a loving shotgun undermount on your rifle and a 50 cal attachment as well.

Of course Chaos Theory was still impossible to rambo, due to the fact that bullets can only register a hit every other second, so it takes a magazine to kill an unarmored guard. The sell of the game was that it was way more dynamic. Just they completely failed at combat. It's fun as hell to panther, probably more fun than blacklist.

But seriously go back and play it. It's a rail game compared to blacklist. The environments are much more wide open and there are an exponentially more number of ways to play blacklist. The only problem I have is no ironside. But then again this actor is good enough, probably better in the grand scheme.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Right. You still get Ghost points for disabling guards without killing them though? Didn't know that about the patrols, they never seemed to line up quite the same when reloading for instance. Anyway, I think I'll hold of on the crossbow. Though it is tempting to have against the armoured enemies.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Usually in stealth games, "ghost" means "no one knows that you were ever there." (except for plot and mission-specific stuff like stealing files, etc.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Right. You still get Ghost points for disabling guards without killing them though? Didn't know that about the patrols, they never seemed to line up quite the same when reloading for instance. Anyway, I think I'll hold of on the crossbow. Though it is tempting to have against the armoured enemies.

Get the crossbow, it's an amazing lifesaver for Ghost runs.

I don't know how true it is for the main story missions, but on the side missions the patrol routes randomize between a few slightly different patterns each time you restart.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
In other words, get the crossbow, only because it was actually in every game besides conviction.
It seems like no weapon has secondary fire, so in essence it's the lazy replacement of an undermounted launcher.
Which is something we had, again, in every game.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Anyone play the multiplayer on PC at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

My steam should be: Blįžrįšur
If it doesn't work for some reason it would probably be better for me to add you. Though I'm certain that's my steam name. In the past at least I've had trouble with my nickname showing up or working.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread