Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey LF types, a quick question. I need an iris I can butcher for use in DIY lenses, and based on scouring ebay it seems like the shutter from a LF camera would be the easiest option. The Ilex stuff in particular can be had pretty cheaply.. only problem being I'm not 100% sure how to spot a decent one.

Does this sound like a good choice? Is there a better source than ebay for these things?

The shutter is irrelevant for my purposes, I just need to control the aperture. The threaded mounts should make it easier to mount as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My biggest concern is being able to still use the thing after removing the lenses. With the big LF style ones it looks like you can just unscrew the lens and be done with it. The enlargers and other options seem to have their glass permanently mounted. If there was some way to be sure the iris would be usable after modification I really have no reason to prefer one option over another.

As for sizing, I'm inclined towards getting as big as I can get without being absurd about it.. it'll give as much flexibility as possible as I play around with components. Realistically, finding something that is either 58mm or 52mm would be great because modern rings would make mounting a cinch. Would also mean I don't have to damage the device in trying to use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only problem I've had with a camera out is an extremely tall and well built african american threatening to beat the poo poo out of me if I ever pointed my DSLR in his direction. It would have been one of those news stories where everyone blamed me for being an idiot, because I was a weak looking white dude strolling around an area known for gang violence.

But there were century old bricks poking up through some worn down asphalt and I just had to have a picture of it. :smith:

• Locked thread