Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Primo Itch posted:

Well, first of all thanks :) .This is actually a tourism trip, going to spend 20 some days travelling around and I just thought that since i'll already be there why not use it to buy a Mf camera, since i've wanted one for some time, you know?

I've been trawling ebay.co.uk and found some decent yashicas there, some bronicas too, but the pentax are usually a lit bit out of my price range, but if i could find a good deal they'd be a possibility. Germany eBay also has some yashicas for good prices, and it looks like they're probably going to be my final choice, but I wanted to ask the thread so i'd be sure of exploring all the possibilities. Germany also has many mamiyas RB67 that seen to go out for a good price. The Soviet gear can be found for some better prices, but then if the built quality is sub-par it's not really worth it.

If you're going to be in Germany or can order from German eBay you should look into the Pentacon Six, which the Kiev 60 is essentially a less well made rip off of. It's a pretty sweet camera with a great range of lenses including a bunch made by Zeiss' East German division, Zeiss Jena. Germany is still pretty big on film photography and there are plenty of these things kicking about in good condition and often at good prices.

You could also look at the Exact 66, a similar design with some more modern features like TTL metering. I think you can get an adapter so it'll fit P6 lenses and vice versa.

Way more information than you could ever want on Pentacons, Exaktas and Kievs from this awesome website: http://www.pentaconsix.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh god I bought a 4x5 camera what have I done.

It's a De Vere Devon. I've been able to find out basically nothing useful about it online except that it was made in Devon and the company apparently makes enlargers now (so if you know anything more please say). But it's a heavy as gently caress monorail. Came with a Schneider Kreuznach 150/4.5 and a Schneider Symmar 300/5.6 / 500/12 convertible, three film holders, standard bellows and bellows bag, a spare recessed lens board (no wide angle lens though), ghetto reflex viewer, three different sized rails and a massive wooden case. All for £250.

Some of the movements are a bit stiff and the Symmar has a little haze and sticks at a couple of slower speeds, but otherwise it's all in great condition. Got some Foma coming in the post, I'm pretty excited to get out and royally screw up my first six exposures.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haha, that was you? I thought that was a pretty pro-tier eBay snype. :smug: Somewhat sad that it'll be taking much, much worse photos now though.

Had to go pick it up from Edinburgh, carrying that huge thing on the trains and through Glasgow was not super fun. Guess I can tell YLLS I lift now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Well, good luck. I really like a lot of the stuff you do, looking forward to seeing what you get up to in LF. Were you looking for that camera in particular or just any decent 4x5?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
So apparently you need about 800ml to cover 4x5 sheets in a Patterson tank. Should probably have checked that before trying my first development rather than after.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, don't think I'll make that mistake twice! Haven't scanned them yet, but other than the top quarter being blank I think they came out pretty well. I did a 1:100 Adonal easy mode stand develop, 60 minutes with agitation at the start and at 30 minutes, then a water stop and 1:39 Ilford Rapid Fix for 10 minutes. Contrast looks a little low, but I think they were probably half a stop underexposed in the first place.

Hopefully the weather will clear tomorrow and I can go outside and take some shots in half decent light.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm having frame spacing problems on my Pentacon Six TL, is there a way I can fix this myself (other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm) or does it tend to be a job for a repair shop? Pretty sure it's a problem with the film advance mechanism rather than my loading.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

I'm having frame spacing problems on my Pentacon Six TL, is there a way I can fix this myself (other than buying a Hasselblad 500cm) or does it tend to be a job for a repair shop? Pretty sure it's a problem with the film advance mechanism rather than my loading.

Reading around online (seriously this website is the best if you have a P6: http://www.pentaconsix.com/) and examining the marks made by the film advance mechanism on some of my developed film it may be that actually I am just a scrub who can't load film properly. Going to try another roll and be really careful about getting the film nice and tight before I send it off for repairs.

Also I won a scanner on eBay so maybe some time I'll actually post some photographs in this here photography forum.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The first one is cool, but my favourite is the second. The expression and the lighting are both great.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Travelwide looks pretty cool, and at about the cost of a box of Velvia I'm kinda tempted - on Saturday I carried 15kg up a mountain just to take a few pictures. But I think I'd miss the movements and ground glass. If I want a P&S I already have a couple in 35mm and digital, and they don't cost £2 a frame to take snapshots with.

I really like the look of the Chamonix but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend on my first foray into the format.

The main thing I take away from all this is that I need to get a 65mm lens.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
According to the FAQ, yes.

quote:

Yes, we have tested the Super Angulon 90mm ƒ/8 on the Travelwide 90, and it works well. However, you'll need to adjust the focus marker using the enclosed instructions, and the minimum focus distance will increase. We can't test every lens, but any 90mm ƒ/8 will probably work. The huge ƒ/5.6 lenses are not recommended for the Travelwide.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Chamonix does look sexy as hell and I want one. But my 4x5 monorail with full movements was like quarter of the price and total pack weight including tripod, lenses, slides etc. is barely more than 30lb. If you aren't prepared to haul a couple of stone of photo gear around on hikes in the mountains then do you really deserve to call yourself a landscape photographer?

e: normally I take a Pentax ME too for snapshots where I can't be bothered to set up the monorail.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Normally it'll be packaged in a light tight envelope inside a double box (although some Foma I had was just a single box). Don't open any of it outside of your changing bag. There'll be cardboard or paper protecting the film too, either between each piece or at either end of the stack. This gives you a good idea of what to expect: http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

8th-samurai posted:

Keeping the notch code to the lower left corner will have the emulsion facing up. Don't worry about touching the film as long as your hands are dry and clean it will be fine. If it's hot out I wear nitrile gloves rather than swesat on my film while loading or scanning.
I was about to disagree with you and say that the notch code has to be on the top right, but, uh :downs: And yeah I think it's pretty difficult to load the film without touching it a little, hasn't caused me any problems so far.

Make sure you put some scissors in the bag to cut open the envelope too, they're pretty tough.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My 120 Portra supplies are running critically low and I'm heading to Croatia on holiday in a couple weeks. I'll definitely be getting some more but while I'm at it does anyone have sweet colour film recommendations that I might not have tried yet? I've mainly been using Portra 160 and 400 and Velvia 100 so far, bit of Provia too.

Just waiting for my new lens to show up at the moment.

:whatup:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spedman posted:

I'm a little scared to ask how much you put down for that lens?

If you're good at metering you could try some Ektar, it's as finicky as slide film with exposure. I think it was intended to be Kodaks replacement for the Ektachrome films.
Saw it on eBay for $155 BiN + $40 postage and snapped it up. I think my metering is not great, I'm just using an app on my phone and the last roll of Velvia I shot half the frames were completely overexposed. Portra gives me a lot more leeway. Ektar does look nice though, seems kinda pale but still nicely saturated from a quick look on flickr.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got a bunch of expired Portra 400UC from a guy who was moving to digital and I like it, so perhaps I'll give it a shot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Demon_Corsair posted:

Large format slide film is amazing.

Evergreen Forest by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr

sunrise by TheOneTrueDevo, on Flickr
Very nice. I have a box of 4x5 Velvia 50 and one of Provia 100F (same as you used it looks like!) that I'm scared to use because it's basically burning a five pound note each time I release the shutter, but you're tempting me. I bet the slides are soo pretty.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 23, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the heads up, got in on the early bird special and ordering an iPhone and Hassy as we speak. Finally the quality of medium format without the expense and hassle (excuse the pun) of film.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

eggsovereasy posted:

Am I expecting too much?
Yes.

When I use my 150mm I sometimes run into the same issue - there's clearly plenty of room to spare on vertical rods but if you want more rise (or movements in general) you need to extend the bellows further, which means using a longer lens. This why you can get recessed lensboards for wide lenses, maybe try mounting your 135 in one of them?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

eggsovereasy posted:

I tried and didn't get much more.

Recessed lens boards seem kind of expensive for what they are. I found some bag bellows for a decent price and bought them. I figure I'll probably end up with a 90mm lens at some point and it will be worth having.
I'd forgotten that bag bellows were a thing that exist, that's probably a much better idea.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I suck at and hate doing post on colour negs, I've seen that video but still find it really hard to get the tone and colour I want. Also dust spotting, ugh. And I really need a better negative holder for my scanner. That aside, sometimes it comes together and then I'm happy to be shooting film. :)
Anyway, here's some 120 stuff from a big batch of rolls I've been developing and processing recently:

Bambergh, Northumberland, England (Kodak Tri-X 400)

Hercegovacka Gracanica, Trebinje, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Kodak Portra 160)

Dubrovnik, Croatia (Kodak Portra 160)

Dubrovnik, Croatia (Kodak Ektar 100)

Stornoway, Lewis, Scotland (Ilford FP4+)

Geirinis, South Uist, Scotland (Kodak Portra 160)

fake edit: if anyone has been wavering about developing C-41 at home, I say go for it. If anything it's even easier than B&W because it being a standard process means there's no scope to gently caress up on dev times.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
nm.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Elderbean posted:

Oh my god, you guys are making the Chamonix so tempting.
The Chamonix does look sweet and LF isn't exactly a low budget game by nature, but if you're after a slightly less expensive way in you can find Crown Graphics for a quarter of the price. Or do what I did and get a cheap monorail - more movements and you'll get crazy strong from lugging 15kg of camera around with you.

e: drat, I should probably do some dust spotting some time.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 13, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I finally got my MOD54 about six weeks after ordering and it doesn't have the dummy sheets with it. Are these meant to come as standard and are they important? It'd be nice to have them but I'm pretty sick of dealing with the lovely customer service from this third party supplier.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Santa is strapped posted:

I recently lost access to an okay monitor so I have to edit photos on my laptop. Now, when I edit the photo on the laptop I think it looks alright. When I view it on my tablet, it's not as saturated and more green. On my phone it looks greenish but not as much as on the tablet.

I know not to trust phone and tablet displays too much, even though they're nexuses with non-lovely displays, but can anyone with a calibrated monitor tell me how they see the photo below in terms of color?

I'm curious to know which screens are lying to me.

My monitor isn't calibrated so I checked it with a screen reader which didn't mention any colour issues.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I am sorry, it was a pretty bad joke and I feel bad about it now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you get one with a P6 mount, like a Kiev 6C, 60, 90 or 88CM, you get to use Zeiss Jena glass which is pretty nice stuff. Arsat/Arsenal glass is a bit hit or miss in terms of optics and the build quality is generally not great, not sure what their cameras are like.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh, looks like a parcel arrived for me while I was away this weekend.

:getin:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Genderfluid posted:

how expired is it?
May 2007, so somewhat. The seller said it's been kept frozen up until about two weeks ago though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah then it should be still good. I have film that's expired TYOOL 1995 but it's still good because it was kept constantly frozen.
Also woah! 2007! I didn't know they made batches of it as late as then. Maybe because I'm a MF shooter.
They discontinued Ektachrome 64T in 2009, don't know if that's the same for all formats. I think it should be fine, I'll do a few test shots and see what speed it works best at.

I either need to shoot more film or get a bigger fridge.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy a freestanding chest freezer. You can always fill it up with food while you're bargain-hunting for film, and it'll only cost like $25 a year in cooling.

That's not bad in camera dollars. Give in to the temptation :getin:
I bought one of those little beer fridges before but it wasn't big enough and the temperature was all over the place so I took it back. One of those freezers is probably a decent idea if I can find space for it somehwere. Also I should probably bag my film up in ziplocks or something, I've previously had ice form on a couple of boxes and damage the cardboard.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 26, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Got back a couple rolls of Velvia 100 that I shot a few months back and kept forgetting to send off. Two or three of frames completely blank, a couple way overexposed and a few slightly underexposed giving some slightly weird skin tones. The majority came out well though and the slides look so nice. Metering is hard.

Also discovered from some holiday snaps that the Zeiss Jena 50/4 Flektogon flares pretty severely if you point it anywhere near the sun, fortunately that is rarely a problem here in Scotland. Also has strong vignette and distortion but that's a bit easier to fix.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

voodoorootbeer posted:

Don't want to be super anal dust spotting your negs? Take pictures of filth!

Still Life with Spider Residence by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr
As someone who spent far too many hours obsessively spotting negs last night, your jarring non-diagetic dust has completely ruined my enjoyment of this photo.

I need to not drop my negatives onto the carpet ever again. :negative:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

alkanphel posted:

Some more TMAX 400

These are great.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Bit of Portra 400. Looking at them now I feel like they're a bit too blue, how do they look to everyone else?

Grey Corries from Spean Bridge, Highlands.

Near the Erskine Bridge, Renfrewshire.

Loch an Losgainn Mor, Argyll.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That is what I thought. Going to blame working on my new monitor without calibrating it, looking at this page on the old one and the new one the colours of the photos and forum background are completely different.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

VomitOnLino posted:

Joining the Portra circlejerk. Just a normal image, right?

Well except the fact that it's Portra 400 @ about ISO 6400 without any development push.
Yup, it's a bit grainy and the shadows are going deep quickly, but hey I can see in the dark - with film!
Nice! I accidentally forgot to push some 35mm 400VC that I'd shot at 800 and it came out really badly, guess the older stuff doesn't have the same magic. Might have been a few years expired too, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Took my 4x5 for a walk today to do some trial exposures with some hilariously expired Kodak Vericolor, but when I got to the top of the hill and unloaded my rucksack I found that my ground glass had snapped :(. Fortunately two of the pieces are big enough that I could still use them to focus but it seems like getting a replacement before I go away is going to be a real pain.

Related, has anyone flown with a LF camera? I'm a bit paranoid about leaving the ground glass to the mercy of the baggage handlers when there's going to be a lot of metal in my checkin bag, but a big bit of broken glass seems like it'd make a pretty great weapon so I'm not sure whether I'll be allowed to take it in my hand luggage.

• Locked thread