Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Those are beautiful, especially the third one. How did you stabilize the camera? I can't imagine a tripod could stay still too well on a ship's deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

For roughly the same price, should I get a Pentax 67, Bronica ETRSi, or Fujica GSW690II? Here's what I see as the main pros of each, let me know if I'm wrong.

Bronica:
Can change film backs
More shots per roll

Pentax:
Sick gripz
Pentax makes good lenses

Fujica:
Won't be tempted to buy a gamut of lenses?

Which one should I get?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Spedman posted:

It's a fixed lens rangefinder, so no swapping of lenses, unless you go and get the wide angle version too, the GSW690.

Right, hence I won't be tempted to buy lenses for it! :v:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It wouldn't let me do the "share" thing to three of those. not really sure what I'm doing with my life but here are some pictures

Just FYI they can't be shared because they're marked as naughty bits on flickr for some reason.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an SQ even though I've been holding out for a Pentax 67 (which is a bit out of my price range anyway), pretty good deal if prices on KEH are any indication. Going to take a look at the camera tomorrow, what should I watch out for?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Niiiice. I like the first one.

So I got my Bronica SQ and seems everything works as it should, came with the 135mm PS lens, 2 backs and a WLF for $250 CDN, so really good deal, I think?

The guy also threw in 5 rolls of expired Provia 160. I figure I might as well use them to test the camera. Do I have to do anything weird exposure/development wise for expired film?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'm having some issues with my Bronica SQ, which I bought some time ago and haven't had time to play around with.

It seems the film advance lever cranks too far. Once fully cocked, the shutter inside the lens has closed about a centimetre, and you can't remove the lens, which you're supposed to be able to do only if the shutter is cocked. But if I stop winding about 1/8 of a turn before it clicks into place, then the shutter is fully open and I can remove the lens but I can't actually fire the shutter, if that makes sense.

It's just a vanilla SQ body, battery is fresh, lens is Zebzanon-PS 135mm f/4.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Geektox posted:

I'm having some issues with my Bronica SQ, which I bought some time ago and haven't had time to play around with.

It seems the film advance lever cranks too far. Once fully cocked, the shutter inside the lens has closed about a centimetre, and you can't remove the lens, which you're supposed to be able to do only if the shutter is cocked. But if I stop winding about 1/8 of a turn before it clicks into place, then the shutter is fully open and I can remove the lens but I can't actually fire the shutter, if that makes sense.

It's just a vanilla SQ body, battery is fresh, lens is Zebzanon-PS 135mm f/4.

Anybody has an idea of what I could do to fix this or who I could send it off to?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

TheJeffers posted:

Honestly, if it's a problem with the body itself, you should probably just buy another one that works right. KEH pricing on SQ bodies is less than half of their flat-rate body repair quote and about half as much as getting a "minor repair" from Tamron.

Yeah, paying for a repair is pretty much out of the question for something cheap like the SQ.

Bud posted:

You could email Frank Marshman (camerawiz@msn.com), talked to him a bit when I got my S2A. He sent me a whole list of checks to perform, maybe he will walk you through some troubleshooting.

I emailed him, thanks!

I also just set up an alert for when a GW690 goes up on CL :ohdear:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Still amazing. How was this lit?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Who you tryna fool with that cropped down default WinXP background.

Just kidding, it's fuckin' sweet.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

alkanphel posted:

Provia 100F, Singapore.

So jelly of people in Europe and SE Asia where a different country is just a short hop away.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yeah, I walked around today taking photos with a Domke Gripper strap on it and no handle and I think I'm going to keep the handle off.

Helicity posted:

What's the go-to strap for a MF rangefinder?

This strap is seriously great, I wish someplace in Canada sold them or I had bought more when the exchange rate wasn't poo poo

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Press cameras are always the coolest looking.

Look at all those shoes.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I just got my first roll from the RB I bought from Ethanfr0me back (shot on a tiny ballhead on a travel tripod no less) and it might just be the new camera syndrome but holy poo poo this poo poo looks great. I have never been stoked to scan before.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Apologies for the double post:

Here the first shot of the roll, the light leak is from my sucktitude in loading film right? There's a similar one on the last shot on the right side. (didn't bother dusting this one)

2015-10-02-0001.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

I think this shot came out the best off the roll, how are the colours? My monitors are old lovely and uncalibrated:

2015-10-02-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 3, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

bobmarleysghost posted:

That is a lesson in anger management and patience.

They both look like they have a blue cast.

Ok this one, I used a curves layer and set the gray point to something okay, a few minor adjustments on it, then a tiny bit of a levels adjustment in the green channel, and a channel mixer layer in which I upped the blue channel which made the water a nice rich blue

e: it still feels a bit too blue but you get the idea.

Thanks, I'll play around more. I think I tend to gravitate towards making things more blue, so I really ought to cut down on that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Doing this while drunk is extremely impossible

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

65190009.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 20, 2016

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Thoogsby posted:

I'm on my non-calibrated work monitor but your white balance looks like its skewing green/blue to me.

It seemed fine on my calibrated monitor unless I hosed something up during calibration which is entirely possible. But it does look off on my phone. I edited it slightly.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

With a prism on instead of the wlf my RB67 is easily 10+lbs or some poo poo

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Karl Barks posted:

i didn't scan these negatives. i thought i read somewhere that medium format had some some leeway with shutter speed vs 35mm, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was bs. thanks.

Dusting your negatives also means cloning them out manually in LR or Photoshop. Unless you work on a clean room it's almost impossible to get a dust free scan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I have a non functional metered prism for my rb67 that I got for cheap and with it on the camera is a hair over 10lbs. Light and portable.

• Locked thread