Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Bronica ETRSsi is pretty swell. I cut my teeth on old Yashicas, but after a while you long for a decent lens, real viewfinder, interchangeable backs, or even a grip so your flash isn't sticking out the side.

Hoops by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Hoover Dam by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

I think my camera, lens, grip, 120 back, 220 back, and an extra viewfinder cost just over $300.

8th-samurai posted:

Soviet gear is so hit and miss quality wise it's really hard to recommend it to someone as their only camera. I can recommend Yashicas as a solid middle of the road camera for not much money, my first 120 camera was a Yashica 635.

The 635 has got to be the most pointless camera ever. I was so excited when I bought mine because, hey I can shoot both 35mm and 120. Except it's a TLR so you really can only shoot 35mm in portrait mode - drastically limiting it's functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

8th-samurai posted:

I didn't even have the 35mm adapter. It was just a decent little 120 camera.

Well except for the adapter it's the same as a Yashica D (which is my go-to 6x6 choice).

Yashicas are awesome in general, but I've only ever owned the 'lesser' lens versions. Has anyone used one with a Yashinon lens and was the quality visibly better?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I really like how the sidewalk texture blurs to the background. Nice lines too with the curve of the street.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I went up to my in-laws in Vermont and forgot to bring my camera battery. Fortunately I had my Yashica!

The Furnace by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Calvin and Chloe by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Bullwinkle by the tree stump by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

I had a question about the last picture. I've noticed my backgrounds appear to swirl when blurred. Is there any particular reason for this? Is that just the 'bokeh' caused by the leaf shutter?

Also, to whoever recommended the betterscanning.com inserts, those are awesome. This was my first chance to use them and it made scanning the negatives so much easier.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 19, 2013

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sent 5 rolls of Portra off and realized with defeat that I can't meter in my head worth poo poo. Of 50 shots maybe 2 were exposed properly. The rest I had to try and salvage. Everything was overexposed dramatically.

I was using an iPhone app to guess exposure or my DSLR. Guess it's time to buy a dedicated meter.

Looks like I ran everything through an Instagram filter. :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used a Yashica D. I've never had a problem with it before, but maybe something's off. Time to retire it in favor of a camera made after I was born I guess.

I scanned them using a v500.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pootiebigwang posted:

Welp my Hassey just jammed up on me. Mirror is locked up, winding crank is all sorts of misaligned and loose, and because of all this the lens is stuck on the body. I'm sure it's just a spring that's messed up so I'll be shipping it off to David Odess for a CLA, which it was obviously due for anyway, but it's still a pretty big bummer. Does KEH have a warranty policy? I'm probably outside of it as I am creeping up on a year, but their customer service is pretty great and I wonder if they would do me a solid.

These are loving killer.

Six months is their standard policy (just had to ship a camera back).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That's some National Geographic poo poo right there. How long of an exposure was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else tried Ultrafine Xtreme black & white 120 film? I got a brick of it for Christmas and I could not get that stuff loaded for the life of me. It felt like the film leader was short so I didn't have room to tighten everything into the film back before I missed my arrow.

After two wasted rolls I pulled out some Ilford and everything was right again.

deaders posted:

Everyone in here hates on 645 but I love using the ETRSi, definitely a good camera for the money.

I love my Bronica. With a 220 back you can load on Sunday and shoot all week.

• Locked thread