Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

xzzy posted:

Hey LF types, a quick question. I need an iris I can butcher for use in DIY lenses, and based on scouring ebay it seems like the shutter from a LF camera would be the easiest option. The Ilex stuff in particular can be had pretty cheaply.. only problem being I'm not 100% sure how to spot a decent one.

Does this sound like a good choice? Is there a better source than ebay for these things?

The shutter is irrelevant for my purposes, I just need to control the aperture. The threaded mounts should make it easier to mount as well.

What sizes do you need? Old medium format (or even 35mm) folder shutters are probably cheaper and more accessible. I have a few large format shutters in various states of disrepair that I'm not using, but they may be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

hcenvirons posted:

I got a Fuji GW690II off of ebay and I'm looking forward to taking it out this weekend. I haven't ever used a rangefinder, though and this viewfinder is kind of weird. It shows the image in this sort of hazy blue color with a yellowish dot in the middle. The goal is to adjust the focus so the dot's image overlaps with the scene itself right?

There are also these weird broken bars on the inside of the viewfinder which change when I focus on objects closer and further. It's not a zoom lens so I'm not entirely sure why they're moving.

Yep, that's how rangefinders work. The weird broken bars are your frame lines - viewfinder parallax error will be slightly different if you're focusing close vs focusing at infinity, so the frame lines move to correct for it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The back on that thing looks weird, it might be the "graflex" type that doesn't take normal film holders.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

How do you process film larger than 4x5? In a tray in the darkroom or do they make really big tanks for 11x14 ones?

I use paper development drums for 8x10. It's more or less a giant daylight tank, but it's hard to fit more than one sheet in the tank at a time.

• Locked thread