Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Soviet gear is so hit and miss quality wise it's really hard to recommend it to someone as their only camera. I can recommend Yashicas as a solid middle of the road camera for not much money, my first 120 camera was a Yashica 635.

My Yashica-A was kind of a piece of poo poo, but it cost me $70 and it allowed me to inform myself that medium format was something worth investing in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

The Kowa Six is a great cheaper option to a Hasselblad if you're looking for optical quality. It isn't without its drawbacks though; the Kowa Six does not have a removable back and there aren't a lot of them out there, which can make service pretty difficult if you run into problems.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That fuckin' shot of the tennis match. :aaa:

I didn't think Speed Graphics had that much tilt control... or that you could use a prism viewfinder instead of (or with) the rangefinder. I need to start buying things.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How feasible is it to unload a partially shot roll of 120 and reload it later? I have a single exposure used on a roll of Velvia 50 that's been keeping me from shooting what I want to.

If I have to, I'll just ditch the roll, but it seems like a waste.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Saplings to the front of the line.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dust spots rule

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Can anyone comment on the performance of Radionar lenses? I know they aren't particularly sharp, but I was looking at picking up a Rolfix someone local is advertising for pretty cheap. I'm mostly curious if it'll have any use at anything wider than f/8.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's the 1954 version which has a built in rangefinder, although I'm not entirely sure how useful it is.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I picked up the Rolfix for $20 and put a roll of HP5 through it. The thing's a bit of a bitch to use (shooting indoors trying to guess focal distances while juggling an off camera flash), but I think it will work out quite well for landscapes.

One issue that I encountered was that if I plugged in a pc sync cord, it would fire my flash indiscriminately whenever the cable was jostled. It seemed to fire when it needed to as well, but I haven't seen that happen before.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 11, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I just got a roll back from my Kowa, the first frame seems great, the rest look overexposed by about 3-4 stops. I checked my light meter and it's hunky dory, so I don't think that was the issue. It looks like the blades seem to be sticking/opening up very slowly from f/8-22 when I use the DOF preview switch on the lens. Would this be related to my problem? I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to hunt down a new 85 f/2.8 or have it CLA'd if that's the case.

(Or cut my losses entirely and switch to a MF system that actually has available parts)

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 12, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

only if you mean off-the charts cool-looking

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Speed-Graphic-W0QQAdIdZ475605484

Oh God, should I?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It looks like spooky ghost vision.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Velvia 50

R47 RVP50 02 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Those colours and tones are gorgeous.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Anyone have any experience sending equipment to Ross Yerkes for repair?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Does anyone here have any (negative) experience using a Toyo field camera? The more I read about 4x5 outfits, the more this seems like an ideal set up for me.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm pretty sure my Manfrotto tripod with ballhead is rated for up to 6 pounds and weighs about 4. Would you mind showing your large format bags?

(I want to see how they stack up against Reichstag's instax fanny pack)

edit: maybe it's kilos

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 3, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That actually looks quite a bit more slick and compact than I imagined. I can vouch for the XA. I haven't left home without mine since I got it.

I have a few project ideas kicking around my head that I want to get started on once my Kowa gets back from being repaired. I'm still wrestling with whether or not I want to switch to a 500 CM or move to LF once it inevitably breaks again.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

dukeku posted:

brothers

Wow. That really is compact. How long does it take for them to build/ship orders?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those should say VS, not G. Why do you hate colour?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I find Velvia looks like trash on bright days but it brings out some very nice colours in foliage in overcast conditions.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You don't convert it. An 80mm is an 80mm, you're just taking a smaller crop out of the image circle. It will have the exact same FOV as any other 80mm lens.

Field of view varies based on format, focal length/compression remains the same.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually compression varies based on distance, not focal length.

Really? I stand corrected then.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Talk me out of buying a GW690II for $300. :ohdear:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been going out of my mind waiting to shoot some 120 film, but I finally got my Kowa's 85mm back from being serviced and shot a test roll with some expired Portra 160. I'm passing on the GW690 for now to save up for a large format outfit instead. Spedman's 6x9 Yosemite photos are making me drool though.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 27, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

You'll get one eventually, mark my words.

....aaaaanddd it only took one thread page to happen.

I know I said I was going to pass, but I managed to get a GW690II in what appears to be excellent condition for $260, which seemed way too good to pass up. I figure I'll shoot a few rolls and decide if I want to keep it or my Kowa. I really don't need more than one oversized monstrosity.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The lighting situation in this place all but guaranteed hosed up tones, but here's a new shot anyways:

blue lips by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Your shots with hosed up tones are always my favourites.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 31, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Get in the habit of using sunny 16/reciprocity in your head and using a meter as confirmation. It'll make dialing in your exposure settings quite a bit faster if you're already in the right ballpark. I've been trying my hand at street photography lately and even with a metered camera, I'm finding that the only thing I can really rely on is scale focusing and precalculated exposure settings, there just isn't time to do that stuff when you go to take most shots.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

What are the bad things that are supposed to happen when you forget to reverse a camera's pressure plate to take 220 instead of 120 film? I did this and everything came out hunky dory.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sega Saturn posted:

Has anybody had a Kowa 6 body repaired? I think I managed to screw up my film advance gears or something (not terribly surprising, I know) and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle and/or cost to get it repaired.

I haven't had any trouble with my body, but I sent my 80mm 2.8 out to Ross Yerkes back in June and he did a good good quick job of fixing/CLAing it. Give him a call, he'll give you an estimate.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

$120 + shipping

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

paint a naked lady on it

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

I just sold my 5D mk2 and am now strictly on film. A little bit nervous but i'm really poor and made the genius decision a cpl of months ago to blow waay too much money on film. I made my bed so am lying in it.

Oh well, onwards and upwards!

:getin:

hail satan

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reala is like Ektar without any redeeming qualities. 400H is the shiznit though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You should know by now that my sweeping generalizations aren't founded in any sort of logic.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I agree with this. In my experience, similarly to Ektar, when Reala works, it works great... but it's not nearly as flexible as Portra or even 400H. 400H, by the way, wishes it could be Portra - similar approach to color, but less dynamic range and more grain.

I dig the grain and I really like the greens in Superia and 400H. I definitely prefer it for normal outdoor shooting conditions, but that's just my bias.

edit: ^^^ Trade your Reala for an XA. You won't regret it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

show me your rear movements

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You guys don't have enough dust on your scanners.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Get it fixed. Mamiyas are dope and a hundred bucks isn't a bad entry fee for shooting medium format on something that isn't a Soviet garbageheap.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Tight as gently caress. I'm looking forward to your LF shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

I took the trusty GW690 over to Scotland recently and I've got through scanning a couple of the rolls so far. These are on some Portra 160, there's a couple more over in the landscape thread:

Goddamn dude.

I managed to snag a Voigtlander VC meter for pretty cheap to use with my GW690II. It definitely fits my needs better for the kind of shooting I do than my L358 does. And as much as I love my XA, it's been nice not having to pull it out for reflective metering.

• Locked thread