Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

big scary monsters posted:

Oh god I bought a 4x5 camera what have I done.

It's a De Vere Devon. I've been able to find out basically nothing useful about it online except that it was made in Devon and the company apparently makes enlargers now (so if you know anything more please say). But it's a heavy as gently caress monorail. Came with a Schneider Kreuznach 150/4.5 and a Schneider Symmar 300/5.6 / 500/12 convertible, three film holders, standard bellows and bellows bag, a spare recessed lens board (no wide angle lens though), ghetto reflex viewer, three different sized rails and a massive wooden case. All for £250.

Some of the movements are a bit stiff and the Symmar has a little haze and sticks at a couple of slower speeds, but otherwise it's all in great condition. Got some Foma coming in the post, I'm pretty excited to get out and royally screw up my first six exposures.

Holy crap, you outbid me on that by £1! You sonofabitch! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Yeah, that was me. I felt stupid for not setting my bid higher and protecting myself from snipers since I was actually willing to pay more. I put an offer in on another one, so we'll see if it works out. I'm going to shoot my next project on large format, so I want to have my own gear for it.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

Well, good luck. I really like a lot of the stuff you do, looking forward to seeing what you get up to in LF. Were you looking for that camera in particular or just any decent 4x5?

Thanks! I was looking for a monorail with a portrait lens. I put an offer on a field camera, though, because it has movements. I don't need crazy amounts of movement, but I wanted to be able to scheimpflug eyes if I'm shooting close in.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Well my offer was accepted on an MPP field camera with 184mm lens. I didn't want to say which one I was putting an offer on, lest some Goon snatch it away! :argh:
I should be able to try it out in the studio next week.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I just shot some paper negatives in my 4x5 for a pretty awesome result. I'd definitely recommend trying it sometime if you're into getting an antique feel. The ISO is ~4, though, so get ready to shoot long and wide open.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

I'm guessing you used the Harman positive paper? Is it just like regular paper processing?

Nope, I used regular old Ilford RC paper. It comes out as a negative. You can even put it in an enlarger and print it. It's a pretty awesome way to get the feel of a legacy process without going all in for new chemistry and materials.

EDIT: I'll post the results when the prints are dry.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Vintage Margarita by McMadCow, on Flickr

That's my final print from the paper negative. I had to shoot wide open and I did a tilt to isolate her eye, but drat is that one sharp eye. The final exposure time on the enlarger wasn't bad at all, but doing a split filter print was pretty useless, as it takes a #5 to get good contrast through the texture of the paper. I stained the paper with tea to age it.

I really love the results though, and I'm looking forward to doing more with this.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Wait you... you used paper as a negative, and then enlarged it ONTO paper? Did you actually enlarge, or could you theoretically shoot a paper negative and then make a contact print onto another paper?

Yeah, that's an enlargement. It's an 8x10, but I could have gone mural sized if I wanted to. The texture of the paper negative appears in the print so it's not as clean as a cellulose negative, but there's no grain at any size, and the amount of detail is unbelievable.

And yes, I believe you can make contact prints with paper negs. That was how calotypes worked, after all. I've never tried it, though. It's pretty easy to use a regular enlarger, aside from not having any grain to focus on.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

^^^ As a negative! The print is fiber. :colbert:

squidflakes posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck! That's beautiful!

So, this was just done on regular RC paper? Nothing special, just cut down some RC, put it in the holder, expose, and you're done?

Yep. Ilford pearl RC. I'm sure glossy would work just fine as well, and may print a little more cleanly. I metered at 4 ISO, so the speed is the only real issue. I shot this in a studio under 3600 w/s combined, so I didn't have to do a long exposure. Did have to shoot almost wide open, though. Out in natural light you're looking at a second+ exposure for sure.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

squidflakes posted:

Well thank loving God, I thought you had lost it and were pissing in jars and printing on RC paper a la Howard Hughes.
Ew, no. RC paper is gross.
The thing is though, it is better suited for this application because it's thinner and it dries flat. So that makes it easier to put through an enlarger. An enlarger that is pointed at some luscious fiber paper. :3:

squidflakes posted:

How did you determine the ISO of the paper?

I had done this years ago in class. The instructor told us to run tests on it around 1 or 2 ISO and go from there. This time the negatives looked best at 4 ISO. You're going to arrive somewhere in that range.

8th-samurai posted:

It's not a great deal, but tessar rolleis are great apart from the dark focusing screen.

$200 is a great deal for a Rolleiflex. At least where I'm from. It might be a little pricey for a Rolleicord.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Karen by McMadCow, on Flickr

Cyanotype print of a paper negative I shot outside.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I like it, but it's got to be the weirdest photo I've ever seen by virtue of that texture.

I painted the emulsion on to watercolor paper. It's a pretty cool process.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Put some regular film in my view camera this weekend. This is a 9x12, but I think I'm going to print this one really big if I can get the fine art paper in a super size.

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Bros,
As much as I have enjoyed belonging in this thread, I'm selling my Hasselblad 500cm setup. It's in the buy/sell thread and will instantly make you a better photographer!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Lots of missed opportunities here, in my opinion.
Can you talk a little about what you were going for here and why this one made the cut? Because right now all I'm seeing is a shot that isn't even attempting to accomplish something.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts before I say anything more than that.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

pootiebigwang posted:

By all means give me advice as I need it! I really liked the framing between the trees and the lines leading up from the steps. I still have a lot to learn about posing and directing the people I shoot as I don't know the first thing about doing it (which probably shows) and a lot of times I end up just saying "stare at the lens" and hope I like the expression I am getting. This was also while wandering with my girlfriend so it was pretty spontaneous. Please feel free to tear it down and rip it to poo poo, as I respect the hell out of your work and can't get better without some input.

Well I'm not trying to say it's crappy or anything, but there's nothing going on. It's pretty much like what D-Rex said. I kind of disagree with him about the setting. I agree that it's nice, but you're not using it to make anything photographic with the subject.
I really don't feel like you're using the power of your MF camera, either. The DOF is somewhere in the middle, but still not really finding or isolating anything in a way that makes me care about what's going on. I don't really feel like you've used the square format to full effect in the composition, but that's pretty subjective. There's little to no consideration given to lighting.
And yeah, your subject just isn't doing anything. You obviously posed her, but to do absolutely nothing. Honestly, if I didn't have an idea for this particular setup, I'd just distract the model with some chitchat and then grab the shot when I thought she was unguarded. At least that could have the potential of showing an interesting spontaneous moment. Otherwise, pose the shot as if you're catching something as it's happening.

If you're having trouble thinking in the square format, look for some inspiration:
Richard Avedon
Lillian Bassman
Irving Penn
Vivian Maier

All excellent square format shooters.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Crosspost from the portrait thread. These are printed on 12x16 Ilford fine art paper. The tooth of the paper is really pronounced and it has a slight gloss to it. So the scan looks a bit rough, but the quality in person is just amazing. I'm hurting bad, though, because it's 3BPS a sheet. :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

He is one striking looking dude, are you getting those deep blacks with lots of burning?

It's the way I print. Yes I burn the borders to vignette the scene, but the blacks in my printing come from using split filters, which means I can get the blacks as bold as I want while essentially still keeping the whites as they are.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I have an MPP field camera and it has all the movements. It's actually pretty great, I can't think of any situation where I'd want a monorail camera over it for my work.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

Wouldn't color paper not have an even color response because it's made to work with color negatives that have that orange base? Anyway, the colors may not be right, but you're getting cool results.

I don't know if color paper is completely neutral, but you correct for the orange base in the darkroom.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

No, don't shoot an RB67, it's a boat anchor.:colbert:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

The dorkroom must be filled with tiny people. The RB isn't that big, and it's a good size and shape for carrying.

It's not a matter of it being too big and heavy. It's too big and heavy for its function. It's a waste of the space it takes up in your bag. As someone else mentioned, it's designed to be a studio camera. I already carry an MPP 4x5 press camera in my bag, my Hassy is a much lighter and compact package for my 120 needs. IMO there's nothing the RB/Z offers to justify the increased weight and space out in the field.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

img330 by spf3million, on Flickr

dust :negative:

What do you mean? Dust exposes black on negative film.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Dust physically on the negative is black and gets inverted to white.

But it isn't. Dust blocks light and therefore the negative beneath it is clear, which prints as black.
White dust happens on negatives AFTER exposure and blocks the paper/scanner, equalling white.
I mean, I think we're both saying the same thing here, but my point is that if that dust isn't black, why hasn't Saint Fu just cleaned his/her negative or spotted the dust in Photoshop? Why bother telling us?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

But seriously why does anyone tell anyone on a forum. We should only post pictures and let the pictures tell their own tale, whatever that may be.

Not at all, I think stories and statements that accompany pictures can be great. I just don't get why he was complaining about a problem that is 100% fixable but remained unfixed by choice. It gave me the impression that it was misidentified as something that couldn't be corrected (dust during exposure).

Mr. Despair posted:

Because art.

I don't see any boobs in that picture. :colbert:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

Rad.

I've been working on my second home made 8x10 camera. It's a sliding box camera again, but the sliding inner box can be removed and rotated to give either landscape or portrait orientation. The focusing screen is a bit dull, it's just some frosted perspex at the moment, I'll see if I can get/make some frosted glass soon. I've got to finish off the mount for the lens board in the front, and also the tripod mount. I'll be using a cheap surveyors tripod - strong and light.

I'm teaching a class at a community center and I'm talking about different types of cameras right now. I'd love to use this as an example of homebuilt technology. Would you mind if I saved these pics and showed them in class?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

I wouldn't mind at all, heres some higher-res versions if you need them:
http://mrstudent.tumblr.com/post/73059731438/ive-nearly-finished-my-second-home-made-8x10

Just post in here if you need anymore info on the camera.

Awesome, thanks! :)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy.

This is how it's done. It took me going through 3 inferior MF systems until I finally just sucked it up and laid down the cash for a Hassy. There are a lot of nice 6x6 cameras that are durable , versatile, and really excellent at certain functions, but a Hassy is excellent (the best) in basically all the categories. I got mine right before I moved abroad and was desperate to save money. I looked at just about everything else out there trying to save a few bucks and eventually just said to Hell with it and got a 500C. Everything else felt like a compromise. If you're really serious about using the best tool for the widest range of jobs, you'll never be unhappy with buying the best.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Just a heads up to Brit/UK large format shooters, I'm selling my MPP plus a dozen holders and a Polaroid back in the gear thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=172#post425344440

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

Sorry to see you have to let it go. Where are you moving to now?

Back to the States. East Coast for a month and then back to San Fran. I don't want to sell it and I'm just going to buy another one when I get back across the pond, but my move is quickly becoming a nightmare and putting it and all my plates in my luggage is going to put me over the weight limit before I even start. :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

I'll pay for shipping to me and then shipping to you in San Fran if I can rent it until May/June.

Where are you located? We may be talking hundreds of Dollars or Pounds for international shipping.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Crosspost from the portrait thread, but I suppose this belongs here. 8x10 paper negative, sepia toned print. My love letter to Lady Clementina Hawarden.

Eva at the House by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Putrid Grin posted:

Dropped a roll of film into a puddle of water. Paper backing got stuck to the emulsion I guess...

Lucky No. 13 by Maciej, on Flickr

That happened to me one time, except that I was caught in a rain storm and my exposed rolls got all waterlogged. I thought everything was ruined until I saw the negatives.

Static 1 by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Another paper neg shot with the 8x10. The print is 16x20. I love shooting with paper so, so much.

S in Her Studio by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I thought poor printing was an art bonus! Did I miss the latest art memo...???

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Continuing my paper negative shooting with an homage to Anne Brigman.

At The Bulb by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Faith by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Continuing with my Pictoralist-inspired shooting.

The Picture Wall by Jason, on Flickr

EDIT:
Make that two shots.
The Scarf by Jason, on Flickr

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 28, 2016

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

you'd hate henry peach robinson

I thought Robinson stitched his negatives in the printing phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Yo eff your stilly gimmick color film. 8x10 paper negatives bitches.
I'm working on an ongoing project about early portraits and I had to ape me some David Octavius Hill.

Lenny the Deckhand by Jason, on Flickr

• Locked thread