Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

my first exposures through a medium format camera, yashica 124g from ethanfr0me on this very forum

A169879_006.jpg by Sean Beck, on Flickr

A169879_010.jpg by Sean Beck, on Flickr

harvard by Sean Beck, on Flickr

still figuring out what shutter speeds I can hand hold and shoot. are the white specks dust?

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i didn't scan these negatives. i thought i read somewhere that medium format had some some leeway with shutter speed vs 35mm, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was bs. thanks.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Helen Highwater posted:

For me, Lightroom tends to add a lot of blue/green on film. I have to warm pictures up and move the white balance towards red to not get super dark cold tones everywhere - usually I shoot Portra 160 or Colourmax 200.

I have the opposite problem, same as awkward davies - lots of orange/yellow/red gets added. But I pretty much only shoot ektar.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Still figuring out my workflow in PS/LR.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Starting to really like my TLR, wish the scans from the lab I use were better. I get much sharper images with my v600, but I'm not great with the color balance, etc.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 14, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Yeah, they also return my 120 negative scans back to me at 1228x1228 which is pretty bad. No option for a higher res scan either. I'l have to cut the film and re-scan all this stuff, should be a good learning experience.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thoogsby posted:

You're in Cambridge right? Hunt's will develop a roll of c-41 120 for $6.99. The people that work there are mostly terrible but I've never had a problem with their developing. Turnaround varies from 2 days to a week though.

Haha, that's where these were developed. I've been wondering if they've been skimping on my scans because I put so much film through them. The 35mm color's I get back from there are what I would consider very good, though the B+W lab they send their stuff to is terrible.

Matt and Nancy are pretty cool tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thoogsby posted:

They send their B&W stuff to Dorian, which is a pretty legit lab but I could also see them not giving a poo poo about the stuff they get in from Hunt's. I've had a handful of B&W rolls developed there and they've all been fine but I might have been lucky.

The people at the Harvard shop are mostly fine. The people at the Melrose flagship are the worst. Once they tried to give me someone else's film. I had it open and was explaining I didn't know any of the people in the pictures and I don't shoot 35mm but it took a full minute or two for the woman to believe me and go find my stuff.

They told me they recently (like last 3-4 months) switched to a different B+W lab because the lab they were using didn't want to take B+W orders anymore. Not sure if that was Dorian. Lol at the Melrose shop, I haven't ventured over there yet. I just wish their website wasn't so terrible.

• Locked thread