Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

I did find out the hard way that crank will only stop on frame one. So if you are on frame 6 and jostle it taking the camera out of your bag, whelp. Gaffer tape fixes this and serves as a reminder that you remembered to actually load your camera.

What's up with the A12 back, I see some have the "Made by" text and some don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

I don't think this is the thread to worry about price. Mine is pristine condition and was ~$900 with a 150/2.8, wlf and one A12 back

Then you are lucky as hell. The 202FA body by itself goes for $1500 on Keh.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A GS690II is on my list of wanted cameras. From what I hear the optics are amazing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What did you meter say regarding exposure time? Or, how many extra seconds did you add in order to compensate for the reciprocity failure?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Did they ask to see the photos?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

^^^ That's some nice light right there. How's Lou as a person? I like his photography but I couldn't stand his stance back in the day - he was all about ~*SOOC*~

I have a question about the noise levels in my scans. I scan using V500 and VueScan.

The latest roll I scanned seems ok, but the shots have what I think is too much noise, and I'm trying to figure out of the noise is due to the film/scanner/scanning technique.

Here is a 100% crop of a Portra 400 frame, scanned at 3200dpi:

I haven't seen this kind of noise on my shots before, it doesn't look like film grain to me. I'm wondering of VueScan is underexposing my frames when I select them for a scan.

I kind of wish I had a macro lens to 'scan' a frame that way and compare.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haha, what was the critique like? Was it like flickr comments?

Time to either buy a V750 or a macro I guess.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sounds good.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I need to shoot some Ektar.

I guess I'm hitting the limitations of my scanner then. Good to know!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can get used Sekonic L358's for like $150 now, and those things take a beating.

I can only dream http://www.amazon.ca/Sekonic-L-358-Flash-Master-Light/dp/B00007E89K

Or get this http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-308s/overview.aspx

Or not :( http://www.downtowncamera.com/index...uemart&Itemid=2

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 5, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Great shot! How was it lit, the light looks great!

Also I thought it was Jessica Alba for a split second.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Guys, this is a bag-able 4x5 camera

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 3, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The down side is that you lose all movements that come with LF.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I personally don't think this camera is for me. I wouldn't buy it for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Holga. I'd rather save up the money for the real thing. As a toy camera it's great but the costs associated with it are prohibitive (cost of film, developing, etc)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Tha is qpzil and the photo he is editing is one of mine.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Buy one now and store it away. Then sell it to the future people with an impressive markup.*

* Provided the chemicals/film exists in 30 years.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What lens did you use on the first one?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Well snap, I guess I should have looked like 10 pixels to the right of where I was looking!

That's some thin dof

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

When I needed KEH to replace the faulty SQ-Ai body they sent me, they did it without blinking an eye ( there was a quick troubleshooting process over the phone). I got the new one in 3-5 business days. I'm in canada and they paid for the shipping.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So I shot some Velvia 50 on a sunny day one day. And of course I'm an idiot so I overexposed every single shot, except for like 2. I think it's time for a real light meter..

Worst shot:

Best shot:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Well to be fair if you're gonna shoot Velvia 50 on a sunny day, you'll probably have to do some bracketing. Light meter won't really help with shooting that kind of high contrast scene on Velvia.

Yea, and I was metering all wrong (I blame the heat) - I was metering at 90 degrees, like this | . I should have metered for the asphalt.

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah bracketing is okay. Alas.. maybe I'm dense (hurr hurr), but I managed to gently caress up slides with bracketing, too. I used an indicent meter and bracketed just on the wrong side of things - on both counts. Whoops!

Better: A good spot meter, then you can measure the brightest points in the picture. If you expose for that measured value +1/2 to +1/3 a stop you get a good range, and no clipped highlights.
Disadvantage of this method is that the shadows will fall wherever they may, with little you can do about it. Slide has usually 3-5 stops of dynamic range, so if your light meter supports taking multiple readings you can immediately judge the entire DR of the scene. No guessing or bracketing needed.

Basically, the gist of my rant is this: You've already spent lots of bucks on your gear and film.
Why now go and skimp on the meter? Buy a decent one; use it a lifetime and save yourself a lot of headache, sweating and guessing during shooting.

Yea this is my next buy. I was going to buy a macro lens for my digital camera to scan negatives, but better metering is more important. I'm expecting to spend about $300-400 which is not that bad.

8th-samurai posted:

I bracket anything that has tricky exposure/contrast. Generally I'll just take an extra shot over or under the first one not like a full three to five shot bracket.

I should have done that, but I only have 1 roll of Velvia left and wanted to spare some frames. But I ended up with 10 wasted frames instead. Lesson learned :smith:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looks like a really heavy duty vacuum.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So guys, this is a thing: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96793993/hasselnuts-hasselblad-camera-iphone-digitalback-ki

Use your iphone as a digital back for you hasselblad.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I mean, it sounds like a cool project, to gently caress around with in your lab or whatever. But to sell it as a product? That's pushing the limits of what useless or ridiculous things people would buy.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's true, look at this:

quote:

Image Size: Up to 8 mega pixels.

- With 6:6 format, pictures equivalent to about 6 mega pixels.

Awesome! Welcome to 2003 boys and girls!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

And less Reala.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea I shot a few expired reala rolls a while back and compared to the other expired film stock, reala does not hold nicely over the years.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

deaders posted:

Don't harsh my buzz bro I can't wait to use this thing.

alkanphel posted:

Don't use it, upgrade to a Bronica SQ!

Listen to this guy and buy my sq-ai. The local market ain't in the mood for Bronicas it seems :(

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I recently lost access to an okay monitor so I have to edit photos on my laptop. Now, when I edit the photo on the laptop I think it looks alright. When I view it on my tablet, it's not as saturated and more green. On my phone it looks greenish but not as much as on the tablet.

I know not to trust phone and tablet displays too much, even though they're nexuses with non-lovely displays, but can anyone with a calibrated monitor tell me how they see the photo below in terms of color?

I'm curious to know which screens are lying to me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I know I'll sound like an iPhone/apple snob, but every android phone/tablet I've looked at seems have terrible colour calibration, they always look overly green and saturated to my eye.

On my uncalibrated laptop, that image looks good to me, and comes out a tiny bit warmer on my iPhone 5s.

/applefanboi

As much of an android fan that I am, apple makes great displays.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's great news then. PushingKingston, I never knew that CMYK trick, thanks!

big scary monsters posted:

My monitor isn't calibrated so I checked it with a screen reader which didn't mention any colour issues.

What's a screen reader?

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 12, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ha! That wooshed right over my head! I was thinking, "no way he's talking about text-to-voice!". I guess I wasn't thinking.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've been thinking for a while to get a rangefinder MF camera, and I saw this Fujifilm GS690 II with a 90mm lens for $550. It sounds like a good price, is it though?

Also, the photo shows a GW690, not a GSW so I'm wondering if it's legit..

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Keh only has the GL690 for $450ish BGN. I'll check ebay, that's a good idea

e: hmm, ebay has it at buy it now for 450-550. I'll check the camera in person and if it's good I'll get it.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 29, 2013

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

From the photo pit at Harpa, at Iceland Airwaves 2013. This dude is trying to take a picture of Omar Souleyman performing on stage.\

Click for big.

I really want to see what he came up with.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

On my screen it looks too green. I copied it into PS and did a really quick edit which revealed red in the shadows. Give this a try - tone down the red in the shadows, increase midtone blue, and tune from there.

Just my 2c.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Ready by mr_student, on Flickr

Ferrari Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

Lotus Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

:drat:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's kinda awesome.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

I saw some hallways...

These are very nice man, they have a great atmosphere to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's a right of passage, don't sweat it.

• Locked thread