Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Neat! I'm disgustingly curious as to what they're working on now.

E: You know, aside from the F2P B2W TBS MOBA set in a crossover universe of AOW and Overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well dang. Maybe we'll also get a fix for the charm issue. I wish this game was more intensively mod friendly because there's a thing I've been wanting to try.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Well dang. Maybe we'll also get a fix for the charm issue. I wish this game was more intensively mod friendly because there's a thing I've been wanting to try.

What charm issue? It's probably too late to fix it now, but I can add it to the list for the next patvh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

What charm issue? It's probably too late to fix it now, but I can add it to the list for the next patvh.
Charm and charm alikes are effectively a unit production route, but unlike the other major routes it's mostly disconnected from the strategic layer gating systems of research and economy and has minimal strategic layer opportunity costs over not charming a unit.

Since changing this would require seriously reworking a major game mechanic that's thoroughly intertwined with at least three classes it's fine if you wait until next patch :v:

I kid obviously, I'm guessing conversion's not got a major overhaul planned at this stage of the game's lifecycle. As a personal mod thing I wanted to try having converted units spawn after the fight as friendly units that you can hire rather than straight up joining you, but it doesn't seem doable with the tools.

give starter ghouls embalmed

e: it's really awesome that you guys are still putting out updates. Just bug and balance fixes would have been a pleasant surprise, actual content is above and beyond. Definitely building me some water forts this week.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 25, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Been forever since I've played but

patch notes posted:

Mind controlled units can no longer retreat from battle. No more cheap summon stealing, sorry.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I kid obviously, I'm guessing conversion's not got a major overhaul planned at this stage of the game's lifecycle. As a personal mod thing I wanted to try having converted units spawn after the fight as friendly units that you can hire rather than straight up joining you, but it doesn't seem doable with the tools.

Yeah, there's no way of doing that without major code changes I'm afraid.

The easiest fix would be to go over all the mind control abilities and change them so they were much more effective (i.e. increase strength, range and/or duration), but always killed the unit at the end of battle (in the same way Arcane Binding does). That way, mind control becomes a stronger tactical choice, but is no longer a strategic consideration.

As for the embalming thing, you could add a world map spell to the Necromancer that allowed him to Embalm all the units in a stack, and have that unlocked by default. It's not a perfect solution, but it's probably the best you can hope for. PM me if you need help setting it up!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

The easiest fix would be to go over all the mind control abilities and change them so they were much more effective (i.e. increase strength, range and/or duration), but always killed the unit at the end of battle
Which would take away all the fun of charming units! Ah well. Off to build some fortz.

Gerblyn posted:

As for the embalming thing, you could add a world map spell to the Necromancer that allowed him to Embalm all the units in a stack, and have that unlocked by default. It's not a perfect solution, but it's probably the best you can hope for. PM me if you need help setting it up!
Orrrrr you could take time away from your new, future money earning project to add a hook to the modding tools that allows you to assign arbitrary abilities to starting units just to make one random internet guy happy.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 25, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Which would take away all the fun of charming units! Ah well. Off to build some fortz.

Yeah, that's why we never did it!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, that's why we never did it!
I wanted to try out the purchase thing as a middle ground, so conversion powers still do their thing, just not for free. Maybe something to consider for AoW4!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I wanted to try out the purchase thing as a middle ground, so conversion powers still do their thing, just not for free. Maybe something to consider for AoW4!

I think your solution would work mechanically and balancewise, but thematically it's problematic. Essentially your solution says "Bob the arch druid ventures into the woods, and uses his powers to befriend a pack of wolves, who politely request 50bux before coming along", though on the other hand wolves already require gold for upkeep so maybe it's not that big a push.

Other solutions that have been proposed:

1) Double upkeep on units acquired through mind control (it's possible this can already be done with the modding tools, not sure...)
2) Have mind controlled units automatically transform into population in one of your cities, so you can't keep them
3) Have a rule that says "Each world map turn after being mind controlled, there is a 10% chance of the unit deserting. If the unit hasn't deserted after 5-10 turns, you can keep it." which thematically makes sense, but could be really annoying in practice.

It's certainly an issue in my mind, all we've really been able to do is restrict access to mind control powers a lot, which is one of the things that caused such a big fuss last balance patch we tried.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

The easiest fix would be to go over all the mind control abilities and change them so they were much more effective (i.e. increase strength, range and/or duration), but always killed the unit at the end of battle (in the same way Arcane Binding does). That way, mind control becomes a stronger tactical choice, but is no longer a strategic consideration.

i mean, that turns conversion into an insta-death move, but better essentially. spamming bards would be pretty nasty if charm was stronger!

which is probably still more balanced than the current game-breaking state of conversion.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean, that turns conversion into an insta-death move, but better essentially. spamming bards would be pretty nasty if charm was stronger!

It all depends on what you do. If Charm was:

Range 3, strength 14, 1 turn duration

then I don't think it would be too bad. You have a high chance of of grabbing a unit for 1 turn, and doing a lot of damage with it, but in most situations you probably wouldn't be able to get the unit killed. A range of 3 would mean you have to put the bard at risk as well.

I'm sort of inspired here by Beholders in King's Bounty. which have a similar ability.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

I think your solution would work mechanically and balancewise, but thematically it's problematic. Essentially your solution says "Bob the arch druid ventures into the woods, and uses his powers to befriend a pack of wolves, who politely request 50bux before coming along", though on the other hand wolves already require gold for upkeep so maybe it's not that big a push.
"Bob the arch druid ventures into the woods, and uses his powers to temporarily befriend a pack of wolves, but needs to feed them 50buxworth of assorted treats before they become reliable longterm allies and will follow him into tombs full of zombies and whatnot."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'd prefer if conversion abilities were kept as they are because they're fun and this is a great single-player game with them.

I understand it might suck for MP people, but I don't care about MP so :shrug:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

limiting conversion to being for only 1 tactical turn sounds pretty great. like a controlled berserk

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

I'd prefer if conversion abilities were kept as they are because they're fun and this is a great single-player game with them.

Don't worry, we're certainly not going to change them for AoW3, that horse left the stable long ago, pretty much before we even started developing AoW3 really!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zore posted:

I pretty much exclusively play co=op comp stomps, but I find choices that are strategically the absolute best route and paid for by player fiddlyness extremely frustrating :(

e: that said I might play multiplayer more if that weren't the case.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 26, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also while this thread's been a bit dead, someone messaged me on Steam about potentially needing to update one of my mods to work with 1.8? Anyone know what that's about.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zore posted:

Also while this thread's been a bit dead, someone messaged me on Steam about potentially needing to update one of my mods to work with 1.8? Anyone know what that's about.
Boat cities!
http://aow.triumph.net/the-v1-8-poseidon-patch-in-steam-open-beta/

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

There's some kind of issue that slipped through testing involving mods and PBEM games, where the system falsely reports that a mod is out of date. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to be an issue on our end somewhere. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out tomorrow!

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
We've put a fix for the PBEM/Mod issue into open Beta:

http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic/mods-in-pbem-no-longer-work-after-latest-patch/#post-252766

This beta should allow you to keep playing your game if you're having issues.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just bought all the DLC and i'm pumped to revisit this game! Is there any up to date faction guide? What about any decent community campaigns?

Game was so good back in the day :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Everything in the OP guide wise should be fine apart from the newest ocean stuff. Cant recommend any campaigns since the baseline stuff + the RMG was wonderful enough for me. :allears:

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I just reinstalled this after a long hiatus, I forgot how awesome it was and now they've added more stuff with the water fortresses. Triumph owns.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I want to play this game with my friends, but I have to have a lot of chores lined up to do because it takes two of them half an hour to finish a turn even when they are autobattling.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

dont even fink about it posted:

I want to play this game with my friends, but I have to have a lot of chores lined up to do because it takes two of them half an hour to finish a turn even when they are autobattling.

Having a second monitor and something else to play really helps! :haw:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I just realised that my "Well, dang." May not have come across as enthusiastically as intended.

Using steam? Bring up the steam browser and catch up on old threads.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 19, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is what turn timers are for

personally i just alt-tab when poo poo's taking too long. one time during a manual battle between 2 other people i just launched factorio and played that for half an hour.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so this is a pretty cool thing:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843308232

if anyone would like to try this out with me, i'd love it. i like the proposed rules a lot too: both players are allowed to build 3 stacks of whatever they want, and whoever has the weaker stack is allowed to determine the battle location, and is the defender. obviously, other house rules like "your 3 stacks can't all be 6 horrors" would be important.

anyone interested?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bizarre. I was literally thinking about posting almost that exact thought earlier today.

My thought was basically that the best fights in this game are exactly the ones that are a bad idea in a real game (extremely close, lots of losses on both sides).

For strategic dominance you want continual clean wins or minimal losses, but the fun fights are the nail biters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah it's really a shame that the strategic layer promotes minimizing the fun of the tactical layer. i dunno how you'd change that though, "avoid dying" is pretty central to most military strategies.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Honestly I think it'd be a totally different game. More fantasy XCOM than fantasy Civ.

It just seems a shame because this game can absolutely have really engaging and interesting battles, it's just that there are relatively narrow windows where they occur.

(and of course, the old chestnut that plenty of people perfectly enjoy steamrolling the AI with deathstacks for a week/month long campaign)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you had some kind of mechanic where lost units generally come back at reduced effectiveness (like the way that in total war games, units don't usually die, and are instead routed, and then usable again in subsequent battles), that'd probably curb the effect of massive battles being something to shy away from unless you're definitely going to be the one that wins. really any kind of mechanic that lets you make a quick comeback from a loss, or makes single battles less decisive.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

if you had some kind of mechanic where lost units generally come back at reduced effectiveness (like the way that in total war games, units don't usually die, and are instead routed, and then usable again in subsequent battles), that'd probably curb the effect of massive battles being something to shy away from unless you're definitely going to be the one that wins. really any kind of mechanic that lets you make a quick comeback from a loss, or makes single battles less decisive.

Once again, Kohan is 20 years ahead of its time :v: I'm still waiting for a TBS to do that kind of persistent army deal.

Basically a war where combat is a constant ebb and flow of wins and losses, instead of either a) a growing snowball steamroller that has an inverse difficulty curve, or b) single incredibly decisive fights that basically result in an instant reload in SP or a loss in MP

It's not a totally unique idea, some games (of varying genres) have done it in one form or another, but I can't think of an aow style game (of good quality).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It would be a little wacky, but a class that relied heavily on summoning units in tactical combat would provide that playstyle. Like the sorceror but on speed. That might also help differentiate sorcerors from druids, since both encourage spamming summons' on the overland map.

E: wait, don't necromancers already do this sort of?

I never finished the original campaigns because so many of the missions devolved halfway through into building giant deathstacks so I could siege the one city the AI had fortified. It would have been nice if there were more missions without towns, so conserving resources in tactical combat was more important.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 22, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

This already effectively exists for the leader, could do something similar for the rank and file. Mid game tech with class-specific justifications and tweaks? Rogue: Playing Dead (units have a chance to reappear at nearest city) or Insurance Policies (get cash every time you lose a unit). Warlord: Inspiration of the Fallen (Get some free instant rebuilds). Theocrat: Resurrection Squads (reappear but at a lower level)

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anybody want to play this game tonight? Got 2 so far.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

http://aow.triumph.net/triumph-studios-joins-forces-with-paradox-interactive/

So Triumph have been acquired by Paradox. Not sure how to feel about it, on the one hand AOWIII was by far my favorite strategy game since it came out and anything that helps Triumph financially is really good. On the other hand I really dislike the way Paradox sell things in a piecemeal way like with Crusader Kings and its billion DLCS.

Really hope they are beavering away on Age of Wonders IV.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

http://aow.triumph.net/triumph-studios-joins-forces-with-paradox-interactive/

So Triumph have been acquired by Paradox. Not sure how to feel about it, on the one hand AOWIII was by far my favorite strategy game since it came out and anything that helps Triumph financially is really good. On the other hand I really dislike the way Paradox sell things in a piecemeal way like with Crusader Kings and its billion DLCS.

Really hope they are beavering away on Age of Wonders IV.

On the other hand, Paradox's DLC policy means that they plan for their games to have really long lifespans. Triumph was really great about this, putting out patches way into the life cycle, but these were generally smaller ones done out of love. If there were money behind it... I'd have happily paid ten bucks for new class/race DLC for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am totally cool with that. They make good games.

• Locked thread